Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Another maintainence question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 03:25 PM
Mazinger Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another maintainence question.

I have about 6k on my car right now, and my friend did my first oil change at 3k miles. I"m wondering if I should take it in to the dealer to have it maintained for the 6months service. Is the first service free? Or am I too late for that? I live around San Gabriel so I would probably take it to Performance Nissan in Duarte. Just wondering if I would have to pay for it, or how much the 6month service would cost, thanks.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:54 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You will pay for all regular services at NISSAN. The question is asked regularly. Some 350Z owners take the car to NISSAN, some do not.

Last edited by davidv; 09-12-2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:03 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My problem with taking it to the dealer is all they ever do is "check" stuff, and charge you big bucks for it.

If they actually have to REPLACE Something after CHECKING it, then all of a sudden it costs a sh1tload for very minor stuff.

Look at the "30k mile service" at your local dealer.

Santa Monica Nissan's 30k mile service includes:
  • Oil Change + filter ($15 if you DIY)
  • "Service battery" Not sure what this means
  • Lubricate doors and hinges ($ 5 DIY)
  • Inspect front brake wear
  • Inspect and fill fluid levels; master cyl, differential, power steering, transmission, and cooling system
  • Inspect all lights OMG wow!!
  • Inspect all hoses
  • Inspect seatbelt
  • Replace manual transmission fluid (OK here's the first valuable thing they claim they will do. It cost me 31.80 plus about $7 shipping to DIY)
  • Brake system service; inspect brake lining, master cylinders, hydraulic line, adjust parking brake (all BS no work actually done, you usually have to request for them to tighten your parking brake)
  • Cooling system service; inspect all hoses (again ), flush system and pressure test for leaks. This is probably even easier than an oil change and cost you $20 at most.
  • Adjust tire pressure... totally free at a gas station, $0.25 if they're REALLY sticking it to ya.
  • Inspect suspension
  • Tune engine (complete bullsh1t, they cannot tune ****. at most you are getting an ECU reset, which you can do by disconnecting your battery, for free.)
  • Check Idle (who cares, unless you are stalling at every stop)
  • Inspect and test PCV valve no comment on this one
  • Replace air filter ($7)
  • Replace fuel filter (LIES, they cannot even replace it)
  • Rotate tires and inspect tire wear (more lies)
  • Adjust clutch freeplay. Do you have too much clutch freeplay? I don't.
  • Road test and quality check (I'd rather they don't take my car around the block for a spirited drive, but that's just me.)

Total DIY: $115 ***INCLUDING differential oil changed, which is not covered in the "major 30k mile service"***

The $115 includes
$15 oil change
$5 grease
$68.60 manual trans oil, diff oil, fluid transfer pump, and shipping costs from summit racing
$20 coolant change
$7 air filter

Plus I used redline synthetic manual trans oil and differential gear oil. So far the results are much better than the stock oil whatever nissan fills at the factory.

Total from dealer: $299.25. and just go ahead and ask them how much replacing the diff oil is. I'll bet you it costs at least $65-70 extra.

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 09-13-2006 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:38 AM
ZBigDog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Na man, forget the dealer, they suck.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:44 AM
savvy

stealerships
Old 09-13-2006, 07:58 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

My point is I would gladly pay extra to take it to the dealer, *IF* they actually did worthwhile maintenance and didn't just charge me to check my lights, hoses and brakepads.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:17 AM
Ztalker

[QUOTE=Wired 24/7]My problem with taking it to the dealer is all they ever do is "check" stuff, and charge you big bucks for it.
[*]Road test and quality check (I'd rather they don't take my car around the block for a spirited drive, but that's just me.)[/LIST]
+10000
last time they took my Z for a road test...the tech somehow drove the **** and living day light out of it on a back road(gravel road i guess). They finally ended up having to put the Z up on the lift to locate a marble size rock underneath(made all kinds of funny noise). One time the tech ended up hitting something on the roadway and their bodyshop had to fix a three inch scratch on the quarter panel.
Always check your vehicle thoroughly before driving it home from the shop. ALWAYS.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Spoiled Z

You should try and DIY its cheaper and you gain knowledge.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:02 PM
Mazinger Z

Yea, I read the maintainence booklet, and it's nothing major...but if I'm going to sell the car, I want proof that I did take care of it, and not just because I say so...so what to do? Dealership or somewhere else?
Old 09-13-2006, 06:01 PM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bugsbbunny
Yea, I read the maintainence booklet, and it's nothing major...but if I'm going to sell the car, I want proof that I did take care of it, and not just because I say so...so what to do? Dealership or somewhere else?
If you get it serviced by an independant shop, you save the invoice showing the services performed,a dn parts installed, just like you would from the dealership.

If you do it yourself, you save teh invoice showing the purchase of supplies (oil, filters, coolant, stc) and any parts. Make a hand written note on the docoment of the date you did the service.

Really pretty simple.

bill
Old 09-13-2006, 08:10 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by bailey bill
If you get it serviced by an independant shop, you save the invoice showing the services performed,a dn parts installed, just like you would from the dealership.

If you do it yourself, you save teh invoice showing the purchase of supplies (oil, filters, coolant, stc) and any parts. Make a hand written note on the docoment of the date you did the service.

Really pretty simple.

bill

+1 and if when you try to sell the car, your buyer doesn't believe you, politely ask them to GTFO
Old 09-13-2006, 10:41 PM
Mazinger Z

Are there any Nissan certified service shops around San Gabriel/Pasadena? I know there's Performance Nissan but that's a dealer...
Old 09-14-2006, 02:22 AM
bailey bill

Originally Posted by bugsbbunny
Are there any Nissan certified service shops around San Gabriel/Pasadena? I know there's Performance Nissan but that's a dealer...

All "Nissan certified service shops" are at the dealerships.

bill
Old 09-14-2006, 10:21 AM
shinkuu

As long as the mechanic is ASE certified, you don't have to worry about voiding your warranty.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:17 AM
bailey bill

Originally Posted by shinkuu
As long as the mechanic is ASE certified, you don't have to worry about voiding your warranty.
ANYBODY, including yourself, can service your car.

The dealer/manufacturer CANNOT "void your warranty".

If the dealer/manufacturer can prove that some action (or inaction) on the part of the owner or other independant party was the direct cause of some specific problem or failure, they can deny that specific claim.

Dealers/manufacturers can only require you use specific parts, products and services if they provide them free of charge.

Federal law prohibits new car dealers from implying or denying warranty service because routine scheduled maintenance was performed at an independent repair facility - (Magnusen - Moss Act 1975 Title 15, Chapter 50, Section 2301-2312, US Federal Code).

http://www.craventire.com/maintenance/factory.asp

Federal law sets forth requirements for warranties and contains a number of provisions to prevent vehicle manufacturers, dealers and others from unjustly denying warranty coverage. With regard to aftermarket parts, the spirit of the law is that warranty coverage cannot be denied simply because such parts are present on the vehicle, or have been used (see Attachment A). The warranty coverage can be denied only if the aftermarket part caused the malfunction or damage for which warranty coverage is sought. Disputes in this area usually boil down to arguments over facts and technical opinions, rather than arguments over interpretations of the law.

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?ID=8124

1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))
This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of this law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle makers brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:
“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name....” (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

http://www.dynosources.com/dept.asp?d_id=203&l1=203

Last edited by bailey bill; 09-14-2006 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:57 PM
Mazinger Z

Wow, okay, thanks