woodstock300s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a base model ...don't have either tcs or vdc don't need either
Old 09-17-2006, 09:24 AM
hiz-n-herz

Default Yeah, I'm lazy as he11...

Originally Posted by DJ350z
vdc doesnt help too much but it helps in the rain -cmon too lazy to lift a finger
But c'mon... I have to lean forward, twist my upper body and then it takes a second to feel around for the stupid button. I had to glue some hair around it so I could find it in the dark!

Actually, I forget about it until I pull out somewhere quickly and it kicks in. Doh!

I am going to wire in a permanent kill switch as a few suggested. That way I can leave it off in the summer. I would like VDC to be there when it's wet.

Out of curiosity, I turned the traction control in the M3 off in the rain ONCE! and got totally sideways! Oops! Never touched it again. Never had to or needed to though. It always allowed some wheel spin/slip before it kicked in.

It's just really touchy in my z. When the OEM tires wear out, I'll get PS2s and hopefully that'll help
Old 09-17-2006, 10:46 AM
Spoiled Z

I always have VDC on and yeah I agree the SLIP keeps blinking. But I really dont care.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:27 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do have to sgree that the button isn't in the best location. I typically leave it on, but when I pull up to a light and want to get a good launch or race, I find myself fumbling for the button...
Old 09-17-2006, 12:05 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

It's just you.

Seriously, I've forgotten about the VDC button a couple of times before taking a Solo run, and it's annoying, but not unsafe.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:36 PM
Zincognito

The only time that damn VDC button stays on is when its raining. other than that, motha****er stays off!!!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2006, 07:20 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Most of the time on the street I'm never close enough to trigger the VDC, so it doesn't matter whether it is on or off anyway.

On the Solo course, it is another story. VDC Off, A/C Off, GTechPro recording, GO!
Old 09-18-2006, 01:57 AM
Mathys

I agree that the location of the VDC button is ridiculous. My friend's 147 GTA has it near the shifter, that's a perfect location for it.

Even putting it next to the seat heater buttons will make you look for it or turn a bit to the right. It should be available close to either the steering wheel or gear **** imo.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:48 AM
robbycolli

Originally Posted by PDX_Racer
Most of the time on the street I'm never close enough to trigger the VDC, so it doesn't matter whether it is on or off anyway.

On the Solo course, it is another story. VDC Off, A/C Off, GTechPro recording, GO!
+1... Yeah!
Old 12-02-2006, 07:39 AM
tractng

So the vdc button is actually the "tsc"?

Confused, I don't have a manual.

Tony
Old 12-02-2006, 08:18 AM
Kazuma

I only turn it off when I need to because if I left it off I would forget to turn it back on and probably screw up my car in the ice (now that it's winter).

I had this problem when I first bought my Z and tried to race a friend with it. VDC kicked in every time I switched to 2nd and made me lose a lot of momentum.

Turned it off, smoked him.

As for the location, I don't see how it's so hard for you to find, even in the dark. Maybe it's just me, but I can reach with minimal effort to turn it off any time I want.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:30 AM
mikead_99

The button location is fine with me, I normally punch it on startup, so it's not like I hunt for it on the fly. I have to say that I'm so used to driving with it off, that when I leave it on for damp roads or whatever I've almost caused myself problems with the unexpected loss of power.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:48 AM
godmans

Originally Posted by hiz-n-herz
Have an 06 GT. I can't have ANY fun in it with VDC on. Either making a left or right hand turn or even gasing it a little when almost stright-on from a turn. I can't even detect it's slipping at all and the VDC comes on like "HOLY ****, driver you're a mad man" and kills all the power for too long.

And NO, I would not crash without it. If I need to pull out quickly into traffic from an intersection, I have to reach under the dash and turn it off first, then I have no problems. With it on, it's almost dangerous as I think I have enough time/space to pull out because I have 300HP and a fairly fast car. But I need to account for space as if I am driving a freakin yugo because the VDC WILL kick in and cripple the car.

Wife has the 06 Enth with tcs and it really let's you get on it before stepping in. I can even chirp her tires in second gear or slip a little around a corner and TCS does not kick in (it will if I get really crazy). I can have fun with TCS, but VDC is just crazy-intrusive. My opinion: TCS sucks a$$.

Can the dealer recalibrate VDC?

I was thinking of moving the VDC switch from under the dash to the dead switch position next to the two seat heater positions. Anyone try this?
Just a side note, you should see how many people post up their stories of crashing here... and most of the time, they have their VDCs off.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:59 AM
dkmesa350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turn it off when you wanna go fast. But it has saved my 18 year old dumbass a few times on surface streets
Old 12-02-2006, 09:32 AM
MonzGT

Does the VDC really make that much of a difference when driving in the snow?
Old 12-02-2006, 10:46 AM
Fletch69z

Originally Posted by bailey bill
How difficult is it to just push the button that Nissan has already installed?

bill
It's not hard to push. But pushing the switch never completely disengages the VDC. It just makes it less aggressive. With the full VDC disable it completely cuts power to the VDC unit and totally changes how the car drives. For autocrossing I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:39 PM
usmanasif

Deleted...

Last edited by usmanasif; 12-02-2006 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:41 PM
usmanasif

You do realize that the VDC likely saved your *** when it kicked in as you puched the gas while turning, don't you? It had to have been severe for the VDC to come on. I have found the system to be excellent at detecting when it is really needed.

Originally Posted by hiz-n-herz
I can't even detect it's slipping at all and the VDC comes on
Errr....that's the system's very reason for existance. If it kicked when the car was already out of control, there'd be no point in having it in the first place, would it?
Old 12-02-2006, 01:46 PM
Zmazing03

I've got an '03, and its pretty friendly when it comes to letting you play a bit before kicking in. I can hit 2nd and 3rd hard and it won't come on at all.

I have noticed though, that it seems to HATE entrance ramps on highways. If its the slighest bit bumpy, it will come on. Also, once you trigger it to come on, you can not turn it off for a few seconds.

I also turn if off when merging onto the highway in the rain. The tires slip so easily in the rain in a Z that if you go above 2k you won't move because it will shut you down. Once I am on the highway and cruising, it comes on and stays on.

For fun driving I leave it off of course. But for the rest of the team, definately leave it on. It can save your ass before you even know whats happening.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:13 PM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fletch69z
It's not hard to push. But pushing the switch never completely disengages the VDC. It just makes it less aggressive. .
Nope, not corect.

bill

Quick Reply: Is it just me or does VDC suck a$$?