Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Is it just me or does VDC suck a$$?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 08:54 AM
hiz-n-herz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Is it just me or does VDC suck a$$?

Have an 06 GT. I can't have ANY fun in it with VDC on. Either making a left or right hand turn or even gasing it a little when almost stright-on from a turn. I can't even detect it's slipping at all and the VDC comes on like "HOLY ****, driver you're a mad man" and kills all the power for too long.

And NO, I would not crash without it. If I need to pull out quickly into traffic from an intersection, I have to reach under the dash and turn it off first, then I have no problems. With it on, it's almost dangerous as I think I have enough time/space to pull out because I have 300HP and a fairly fast car. But I need to account for space as if I am driving a freakin yugo because the VDC WILL kick in and cripple the car.

Wife has the 06 Enth with tcs and it really let's you get on it before stepping in. I can even chirp her tires in second gear or slip a little around a corner and TCS does not kick in (it will if I get really crazy). I can have fun with TCS, but VDC is just crazy-intrusive. My opinion: TCS sucks a$$.

Can the dealer recalibrate VDC?

I was thinking of moving the VDC switch from under the dash to the dead switch position next to the two seat heater positions. Anyone try this?

Last edited by hiz-n-herz; 09-16-2006 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:04 AM
Hella

Why dont you just turn it off everytime you start the car. Many people do.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:05 AM
Spec_Tacular

You know you can turn it off right?? Why do you care if you can turn it off?
Old 09-16-2006, 09:06 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never get this kind of thread. I drive aggressively at times, have VDC, and never have it kick in.

What I don't do is let the Z slide sideways. Is that what you guys are complaining about....wanting to let it drift sideways?
Old 09-16-2006, 09:14 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hiz-n-herz
I can't have ANY fun in it with VDC on.
The turn it OFF.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:19 AM
___DJK___

You paid 10k too much for your car. Sounds like you should have got a base.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:08 AM
yukonlikmiballs

I know how you feel, I dont like VDC either. You know you can buy a bypass mod that will keep your VDC off everytime you start up your car. I hate when someone is in the car with me and i downshift and gun it and it makes a horrible jolt then a small acceleration. Kinda makes me feel like im gonna break something with it on.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:12 AM
Spec_Tacular

You guys are lazy just turn it off and slide around and have fun.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:22 AM
DevinB

yeah i dont really see a point to this thread.

Turn it off when its dry out and leave on in heavy rain.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:40 AM
MustGoFastR

I wonder if they made it more sensitive in '06? My '03 let's me play a little. Biggest difference in VDC intrusion I noticed was after I switched to better tires than stock. Better grip = happy VDC; since I put on Azenis RT-615s, I have yet to induce VDC.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:44 PM
hiz-n-herz

Default Kinda what I was thinking...

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
I wonder if they made it more sensitive in '06? My '03 let's me play a little. Biggest difference in VDC intrusion I noticed was after I switched to better tires than stock. Better grip = happy VDC; since I put on Azenis RT-615s, I have yet to induce VDC.
Maybe it's more sensitive on the 06?? I agree better tires might help. Although the GT comes with RE050a versus the stock RE040, which are much stickier. Can't wait to wear the stockers out so I can get PS2s.

The behavior reminds me of driving the M3 after I bought Kumho Ecsta 712s (I was poor at the time). Traction control came on ALL the time. When I bought the next set of tires for it, I went Michelin PS2. Never saw traction control come on again. I am hoping I can fix some of this with tire selection.

For those that don't get the point of the thread, Did you read my entire long-winded post? For one, I'm venting that it's too sensitive. For two, I asked if anyone has relocated the switch [so it's easier to turn off]. I'd be interested to find out how to disable it and enable it only with the switch. Although whe it's raining, I'd prefer it was on all the time.

Definitely NOT trying to get the car sideways. But it's fun to feather the throttle to get the maximum amount of cornering versus acceleration.

Also, perhaps the stock suspension allows too much body roll and seriously unweights the inside rear tire. I dunno. It happens mostly on acceleration so I'd think I was weighting the rear more than the front.

I don't get the point of bashing another's post Just ignore it please if you don't like it or don't get it.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:14 PM
MustGoFastR

Also, perhaps the stock suspension allows too much body roll and seriously unweights the inside rear tire. I dunno. It happens mostly on acceleration so I'd think I was weighting the rear more than the front.
That's true, too. I have Nismo suspension and the difference is night and day. You planning to upgrade?
Old 09-16-2006, 04:32 PM
UMW350Z

VDC saved me a couple times, i like it. It is there for a reason and if you don't like it, turn it off.

Do you TCS people also have your slip light come on with TCS turned off and you do donuts (not drift...but donuts)?
Old 09-16-2006, 04:50 PM
robbycolli

VDC has been great on the track, but I turn it off when screwing around.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Fletch69z

If you search, there is a pretty easy fix for wiring in a VDC disabling switch. I did it and I can fully disable the VDC but I still have it so I can keep it on when I need it. Also, if you leave it switched off it stays off so you don't have to turn it off every time you start the car.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:19 PM
hiz-n-herz

Default I'm on the fence with suspension upgrades...

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
That's true, too. I have Nismo suspension and the difference is night and day. You planning to upgrade?
I'd like to go with the nismo setup, but I kinda like the fairly smooth ride of the 06 stock setup. Althoug I think there's too much compression damping in the rear of the stock suspension which makes the ride bumpier that it needs to be; especially on undulating pavement.

Last edited by hiz-n-herz; 09-17-2006 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:21 PM
hiz-n-herz

Default Thanks! Sounds like what I need...

Originally Posted by Fletch69z
If you search, there is a pretty easy fix for wiring in a VDC disabling switch. I did it and I can fully disable the VDC but I still have it so I can keep it on when I need it. Also, if you leave it switched off it stays off so you don't have to turn it off every time you start the car.

I'll have a look...
Old 09-17-2006, 05:32 AM
MustGoFastR

Althoug I think there's too much compression damping in the rear of the stock suspension which makes the ride bumpier that it needs to be; especially on indulating pavement.
Exactly. The Nismo alleviates that problem. It is a little firmer than stock, yet it actually feels better over smaller bumps and eliminates the porpoising effect you speak of (progressive spring rates). The Nismo sways are great, too.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:52 AM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fletch69z
How difficult is it to just push the button that Nissan has already installed?

bill
Old 09-17-2006, 07:01 AM
DJ350z

vdc doesnt help too much but it helps in the rain -cmon too lazy to lift a finger

Quick Reply: Is it just me or does VDC suck a$$?