Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long does it take for your ac to start cooling the car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 02:56 PM
slinksZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think from car to car A/C will vary. It does take little time for my car to cool off. but once it does it is like an ice box. The only complaint I have about the A/C is that ol so familiar odor you get when you first turn it on.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:58 PM
Jenn350Z

Originally Posted by roast
lol.... roll down the windows eh??

Ah snap!!
Old 09-18-2006, 03:05 PM
microd

If I set both outer (left and right) ***** to auto... and set the middle **** to a temperature (like 75 degrees C) then I notice the car interior cools off very quickly. Big burst of air initially... winds down as cabin cools off. I think that works a bit faster than if I use AC manual settings -- works so well that way... I use auto settings most of the time.

Old 09-18-2006, 03:21 PM
Conceyted

Originally Posted by tytalian
mines the same way. so damn hot here. get you a windshield shade. they work wonders.
I dont park in direct sunlight so I dont think that is the problem.

Originally Posted by streetracer
To the OP, try tinting the windows. Helps a lot. Also put windshield visors to shield the sun rays.

To the question: few minutes, maybe five.
hehe I have 5% tint on my back and back sides and 20% on the sides. I dont even park in direct sunlight. I park in a covered parking garage. I dont know maybe something is wrong. I put it in service today to get a few minor things covered and asked that they take a close look at the ac while they are fixing some stuff up. Hope they can figure something out or at least assure me its normal.
Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by slinksZ
I think from car to car A/C will vary. It does take little time for my car to cool off. but once it does it is like an ice box. The only complaint I have about the A/C is that ol so familiar odor you get when you first turn it on.
Maybe its just me.. I love that smell
Old 09-18-2006, 03:26 PM
kpiskin

I leave mine on "auto" settings and 72 degrees. Also on really hot days, I'll remotely open the windows as I walk up to let some of the extra heat escape. That seems to help. It gets so cold after a few minutes, I usually have to turn the A/C up to 75 so I don't freeze.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:46 PM
ScottMZ3

Originally Posted by Conceyted
For about a month or so now I have been noticing that my ac takes about 5-10 minutes to cool my car off. With the outside temperatures about 90-97 degrees I guess it would take a few minutes to get all of the heat to escape. However, I think the problem is more than that. If I put my hand in front of the ac vents, the air coming from the ac vent is cool but not freezing cold. As time goes on from startup the air slowly gets colder and colder. At anywhere from 5-10 minutes of driving the air will have reached max coldness. And it is then that the car begins to cool down.

I dont remember if the car has always been this way that is why I am asking you all to confirm this.

As a side note, I notice that after about 30 minutes to an hour of parking my car after a drive. I have a puddle of what I assume to be condensation coming from the ac. However when I look at other cars parked next to me, none seem to have one as big as mine. Anyone know if this could be a problem or if this is normal in your experience with your z?

Thanks,
-Chris
I live near Phoenix, AZ...and recently purchased a brand new 2006 Z. Needless to say I'm probably in one of the hottest parts of the US...and my car is Magnectic Black outside and Black cloth inside and has tinted windows (what was thinking! LOL!). And I find that the AC in the Z is the best AC I've had in any car. It cools off the Z from 110+ temps to a nice cool temp in a matter of minutes. Now that it's down into the low 90s, the AC gets to so cold in about 1-2 minutes I have to turn it down or else my hands freeze!

-Scott
2006 Nissan 350Z
2006 Nissan Murano
Old 09-18-2006, 03:52 PM
Zmazing03

Roll down the windows and put the A/C on full blast after the car has been running for a minute (pretty much from driveway to road or parking lot to road). Then leave windows open for a minute more, and the car will be freezing in no time. I have no complaints about the Z A/C, except for the fact that 75 is NOT 75. Its more like 70, I swear.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ianmtx
Mine only takes about a minute or two and it's hot as ***** here.
temp @ 60, set air to come fresh from outside, ac @ auto, and windows semi down,
1-2minutes, windows up, let air circulate, ac to low. its all good.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:15 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The cooler the air blowing through your radiator, the faster your A/C will cool the car down.

Your A/C drops in efficiency when the ambient air cannot cool the compressed refrigerant enough.

Think about how your AC works. It has to pump heat out of the hot part of the A/C system into the already-hot surroundings / engine bay. If the outside temp is hot, then it has less efficiency per cycle.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:13 PM
the7ferret

Its all about efficiency...

Dry weather cools better than humid...
Ambient outside temp matters.
Engine Compartment temp matters.
RPM matters.
Vent settings matter.
Internal Temp matters.

Its its 100 outside but your car is 130 then it will take longer too cool the air inside than the air outside to a point...
If your engine compartment is hot and your car has been parked then your AC radiator is full of heat and is less efficient untill you get moving. Higher RPM (up to a point) allows for your compressor to work better. recir works faster than fresh.

Mine takes no more than 5 min to get confortable after being parked int eh sun all day... if its 100 our or 80

Trick is to get hot air out and cooler air in.
If its 100 outside then your car is proably 120-130.
Get in , crack the windows about an inch, put it on full blast bi-level, cold, fresh air. After about 2-3 min the VERY hot air inside will have been mostly removed and you will have warm air. Put it on recir, close windows set it to auto and enjoy as the temp drops quickly..

If your in traffic it will take longer than if you are moving (15MPH or beter)

Last edited by the7ferret; 09-19-2006 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:23 PM
VN_350z
Banned

depend on where I am and how cold the temparature it.
If i am in north pole, it only takes 1/2 seconds to get cold. If i am in Sahara desert, probably 1hr.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:34 PM
Mathys

Normally my Z is in the sun, so the inside temperature is higher than outside. Still the AC on auto mode will switch to use cabin air only. The AC doesn't get really cold, so I always switch straight away to outside air. This makes it nice and cold...
Old 09-20-2006, 06:20 PM
Montez

Originally Posted by davidv
Depends on the ambient temperature
Humidity
And has the car been parked in the sun and for how long.
True