Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My 350z has had body work that wasn't disclosed at sell!! What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 05:32 PM
DanielW
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation My 350z has had body work that wasn't disclosed at sell!! What should I do?

hey guys I have a 2005 z that i just bought from a reputable charlotte nc dealership. They told me that there had never been any damage to the car before. I just had some of my friends over this weekend that work in a body shop and they found where body work had been done to it. The doors and rear quarter panels and bumper had all been repainted and the door had been disassembled. The rocker panels/sideskirts are also loose on it. What should i do? Don't they have to tell me about that ****? Do they owe me another car if its been wrecked? or should i just make them hook me up with some nismo parts?
Old 09-18-2006, 05:36 PM
John@Victory

if it wasnt salvaged then you have no case.... your word against theirs.. you buy a used car AS IS... you cant make them buy the car back or give you free parts. now if the car has a salvaged title its a new ball game... but no reputable dealership is going to risk a lawsuit that big to sell a salvaged title car as a retail unit
Old 09-18-2006, 05:36 PM
03Zilverstone

They're required to tell if it has a salvaged title, but they don't have to tell you if it's had work done if it has a clean title. Granted they should, but how many things does a dealership not do that they should. You might go by and inform them about it, but I doubt it will do much good.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:06 PM
NewJerZ

Too bad you didn't have the car inspected by reputable mechanic/body shop.....Dealers are slimeballs when it comes to selling their used cars.

I bought an MR2 from a Ford Dealership and they NEVER told me that they car was broken into and that the passenger side window was smashed and had to be replaced (they did an Ok job with the replacement ..could have been better).

How did I find out?? Glass Shards underneath the passenger seat! (I was like where the f*ck did these come from?) and electric tape on the replacement window..waaay at the bottom.

God knows what else they didn't tell me!! ALL they told me was that some biotch traded it for a lame *** Mustang V6. Thankfully, I never had a problem with the Mister 2 though.

MF Dealers just wanna dump these used cars...they don't give a f*ck HOW they do it...as long as they make as much profit as possible.

Last edited by NewJerZ; 09-18-2006 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:12 PM
CarlosCh

True enough... no salvage, no case. But I would let them have an earful anyway, they were not completely honest with you.

Then take you biz somewhere else next time: I would not trust these guys again!!

C.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:15 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Check your state laws. Used vehicles are sold

as is

or

with a limited warranty. Generally, the warranty covers mechanical defects. Body work is not a mechanical defect.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:14 PM
DanielW
Banned

but when i sat down with a guy he said now this is just saying that the car has not been damaged
Old 09-18-2006, 09:44 PM
Marbleshade

Originally Posted by danielwebb
hey guys I have a 2005 z that i just bought from a reputable charlotte nc dealership. They told me that there had never been any damage to the car before.
Does not compute.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:44 PM
Ztalker

don't they have 3 day return/exchange policy? i know some used cars come with it.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:53 PM
dro916

I know that cars are sold "as-is", but I thought only after the seller disclosed all that he or she knows as far as damages/accidents/repairs, otherwise it would be against the law if someone later found out about previous damages/accidents/repairs and it wasn't disclosed by the seller. In California at least?
Old 09-18-2006, 10:00 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

never buy used cars man my friend bought his acura integra long time ago which had low miles. the sales guy said the owner went to jail or out of town some bs and he got the car. car started having problems and took it to shop and found out it was salvaged but was not filed or reported. he went back and couldnt do anything. the good news is that a drunk girl running a red light hit him and got $$ and got a rsx when it first came out.

if you buy a used car take someone who knows body and engine work so they can check it out.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:03 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How much did u pay ? Was the work on it quality? Are u happy with the car? Bottom line is ---when u buy used, as I did, sometimes u have to suck it in a little. I kinda had to myself, mine had 15,000 in it and had to do brakes and Clutch after a 1,000 miles. I never even considered calling the seller, It was my car now not his.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:23 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,268 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Originally Posted by danielwebb
but when i sat down with a guy he said now this is just saying that the car has not been damaged
The salesman can tell you the car has a flux capacitor. If it's not in writing, it doesn't matter.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:38 PM
bloodraven

As a former salesmen in North Carolina, it IS state law to disclose ANY damage done if you are buying from a dealership. If they don't know about it, have no knowledge...thats that then
Old 09-19-2006, 04:14 AM
John@Victory

Originally Posted by bloodraven
As a former salesmen in North Carolina, it IS state law to disclose ANY damage done if you are buying from a dealership. If they don't know about it, have no knowledge...thats that then
not on a used car....the dealer can not disclose something it may not be aware of.... FEDERAL LAW states a dealer can not be held liable for anything on used cars unless the dealer sold it with a salvage title

damage disclosures only have to do with new cars and then still if it was under certain amounts of damage dont have to be reported
Old 09-19-2006, 04:23 AM
DanielW
Banned

my friend at the wreck check certified place that can tell what has happened to your car said they have to report any damage on the car above 10% of the value no matter what
Old 09-19-2006, 04:36 AM
John@Victory

your friend doesnt know what he is talking about... Ill tell you what..... you and your friend go down there and pick up your new car.... you already have your mind made up not to listen to anyone that actually knows what they are talking about

good luck
Old 09-19-2006, 04:37 AM
SpeedRcr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on new cars the dealer does not have to disclose repairs done due to damage for amounts under 1k, but they use a different scale for labor...the dealer uses a fixed cost of labor a 30 per hour! i found out mine had been repaired when i took a paint density meter to measure the paint, they ended up settling after i filed a complaint
Old 09-19-2006, 04:40 AM
John@Victory

Originally Posted by SpeedRcr
on new cars the dealer does not have to disclose repairs done due to damage for amounts under 1k, but they use a different scale for labor...the dealer uses a fixed cost of labor a 30 per hour! i found out mine had been repaired when i took a paint density meter to measure the paint, they ended up settling after i filed a complaint

different for different states.... in Va it s 2% of the vehicle cost
Old 09-19-2006, 06:06 AM
Jenn350Z

Seems like everytime I ask if a vehicle has been in any type of accident the replies are always "Not that I know of" which I've learned usually means "yes it has but I'm playing dumb here to cover my *** and you'll buy the car"

I don't usually have any issues with repaired cars. Just wish the sales people were honest about it.
Wishfull thinking...

Quick Reply: My 350z has had body work that wasn't disclosed at sell!! What should I do?