Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

It's in the shop (oil consumption update)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 08:25 AM
Brocken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was my dealer I know I'd get it back with scratches and dings.
Good luck dude. I hope your car is problem free now. Let us know if you have any issues.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:23 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unbelievable...

I've had my car for 7 months, avoid parking lots like the plague, never EVER park next to another vehicle and have only ever had 1 car park next to me, that I was ever aware of and I was standing there watching them at the time and it took some dipsh!ts at the dealer just 7 days to put a chip/ding the size of a nickel on my passenger door.

I kept telling everybody, Bet they scratch or dent it, bet they scratch or dent it. People kept telling me to think positive. Well this is why I always think negatively..

Suppose to take it back Thursday to have their dentless guy see what he can do. They told me he doesn't do the chips, just dings and dents. WTF!

Why is it soooo damn hard for shops to take care of other peoples STUFF? It's like when I had sportbikes, every single time they would put new scratches on the rims with tire changes. Bought a brand new 10G's bike once and they scratched the tank pretty bad before it even left their lot.

The car seems to run ok so far but I've only driven it < 10 miles. It made some kind of gurgling noise when I first started it, sounded like coolant, probably just an air bubble or something.

What a bunch of BS!!!
Old 09-26-2006, 05:56 PM
Chad68

Oh gee what do ya know. Now I have found it's leaking coolant.

Here we go again
Old 09-26-2006, 06:37 PM
Swiffer

Sorry to hear about your luck. Hopefully things start to turn around for ya.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:57 PM
capeland

Thumbs down

When the dealer replaced my short block they: Took 2 weeks, Cracked my Veilside carbon lip ( and denied it ), forgot to put the oil cap back on when the started it and then test drove it. And f**ked up my whole hood and engine bay with oil splater. Nissan service is Sh*t. OOh yeah my engine does not burn oil now it just Pisses it on to my garage floor every night.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:11 PM
aren21

for you guys that are burning oil, do you have black residue on the bottom of your exhaust tips??
Old 09-27-2006, 12:56 AM
Chad68

Originally Posted by capeland
When the dealer replaced my short block they: Took 2 weeks, Cracked my Veilside carbon lip ( and denied it ), forgot to put the oil cap back on when the started it and then test drove it. And f**ked up my whole hood and engine bay with oil splater. Nissan service is Sh*t. OOh yeah my engine does not burn oil now it just Pisses it on to my garage floor every night.
I hear that man.

Curious as to whether or not they left out anything (nuts, bolts, parts etc)under the hood, I started by tapping this and that and right off the bat I tapped the plastic engine cover and it rattled like crazy, only to find that all 4 of the mounting bolts were NOT even finger tightend. They did manage to put the cap on for me

So far I have not seen the thing leave anymore coolant but I'm keeping an eye on it, as well as to hear if that gurgling noise at start up goes away. I think the gurgling noise is probably air in the system.

It still smeels like either oil or coolant or a mixture of both, not really sure but it kinda smells. However I totally expected to smell something anyway. The day I bought the car new, it had all kinds of strong smells, so I will give it a couple hundred miles and and the smells will hopefully go away, when everything burns off.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:58 AM
Chad68

Originally Posted by aren21
for you guys that are burning oil, do you have black residue on the bottom of your exhaust tips??
I did with the old block. It's wayyy too early to tell on this one but no trace as of yet. I will know more after the weekend. WIth the old block, the tips would have to be wiped down almost daily or every hundred miles or so. Depended on how many miles really.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:57 AM
Jonathan Allyn

Chad68, thats why you have to push for that longblock. I really like my dealer but I wasnt going to let them mount the head of my old motor to a new longblock. Its just to much work to be done. Keep a close eye on all that. Sorry about your issues.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:42 AM
Brocken

That really sucks about the damage to your car and that you're having wierd noises....that's exactly my hesitation to letting the dealer rebuild/replace my engine for the consumption issues.

My oil consuming engine does leave a thick film of black grease on the exhaust tips. Definitely oil and not unburnt fuel.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:00 PM
Chad68

Originally Posted by Brocken
That really sucks about the damage to your car and that you're having wierd noises....that's exactly my hesitation to letting the dealer rebuild/replace my engine for the consumption issues.

My oil consuming engine does leave a thick film of black grease on the exhaust tips. Definitely oil and not unburnt fuel.

I thought about just blowing off on having the short block replaced for a year or so, for the same reasons. However on my second 1,000 mile test, which had mostly freeway miles, it lost 1.5 quarts

If it was only loosing about 1/2 to 3/4 a quart every 1,000 miles, like my other 2 test results were, I would not have worried about having it checked out right away. They wouldn't do anything about 1/2 a quart to 3/4's anyway but 1.5 is another thing.

I haven't seen anymore leaking or heard the bubbling water noise anymore (I think) so maybe the air worked itself out. I still don't have enough miles to tell.

At the moment, I plan to sell the car when the 3 year warranty is up, unless things go a LOT smootheror for next 2 1/2 years.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:21 AM
Brocken

I just went in for my 4th visit to the dealer last night...still haven't proposed a resolution.... I'll let you guys know what happens.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Interlagos Fire

Originally Posted by Chad68
I thought about just blowing off on having the short block replaced for a year or so, for the same reasons. However on my second 1,000 mile test, which had mostly freeway miles, it lost 1.5 quarts

If it was only loosing about 1/2 to 3/4 a quart every 1,000 miles, like my other 2 test results were, I would not have worried about having it checked out right away. They wouldn't do anything about 1/2 a quart to 3/4's anyway but 1.5 is another thing.
Ok, I know this may sound stupid but exactly how can I tell how much oil I'm losing from looking at the dip stick? or, do I have to take my Z in to the dealer for an oil anylist to tell? I have a 06 and so as a friend, his engine started ratteling and making noises after about 6k miles after his 1st synthethic oil change at 3000 miles, only after he took it to the dealer for inspection they told him initially that it was Eazylube who ripped him off by not putting enough oil during the oil change, because he only had about 1 quart left in the engine at about 6 k miles, but Eazylube did put on the new oil filter, so why would they not put oils in there?
I'm starting to worry about my engine since it's an 06 as well. I don't want to take it to the dealer unless absolutely neccesary! They put two 12" long scratches on the hood when they installed my spoilers, after I ask them to buff it out it only made worse by a massive swirl which they claim did a good job because the scratch is now unnoticeble.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:48 PM
NissanZfan

Originally Posted by Interlagos Fire
Ok, I know this may sound stupid but exactly how can I tell how much oil I'm losing from looking at the dip stick? or, do I have to take my Z in to the dealer for an oil anylist to tell? I have a 06 and so as a friend, his engine started ratteling and making noises after about 6k miles after his 1st synthethic oil change at 3000 miles, only after he took it to the dealer for inspection they told him initially that it was Eazylube who ripped him off by not putting enough oil during the oil change, because he only had about 1 quart left in the engine at about 6 k miles, but Eazylube did put on the new oil filter, so why would they not put oils in there?
I'm starting to worry about my engine since it's an 06 as well. I don't want to take it to the dealer unless absolutely neccesary! They put two 12" long scratches on the hood when they installed my spoilers, after I ask them to buff it out it only made worse by a massive swirl which they claim did a good job because the scratch is now unnoticeble.

Between the low and high marks on your dip stick (L///////////////H) is one quart.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:27 PM
Chad68

Well after my issue with the motor and the damn dent in the door, I sold the Z today.

Haha, right.

My Hiro's are going on friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2006, 05:44 PM
nicholasm617

Originally Posted by Manu
I believe that the way you run a brand new engine for the first hundreds of miles makes the difference between good and poor piston ring seal.
yep. huge influence on the life of the motors performance, and things like this problem.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:27 PM
VJD

Taking my '06 in tomorrow morning for its first oil change. When I made the appointment for the oil change, I told the service writer that my Z is using too much oil. Over a span of 3K miles, I had to add about 3.5+ quarts of oil. See what happens?
Old 09-29-2006, 06:04 AM
Brocken

Good luck dude. Let us know how that goes with the dealer. Just make sure you have everything documented. I would also show them receipts of the oil you put in there.
Have them start a consumption test. They basically seal up your dipstick and have you come back in 500 miles to see if the oil is down.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:30 PM
Chad68

Ok here's the latest update for now.

After the new block was installed, I was down 1/2 a quart at 700 miles. Totally baby'in the engine.

Just checked it again at 1,200 and it is now 1 quart low.

It's going in Monday for the 1,000 mile checkup. So it has basically lost about 1 quart with the new short block in 1,000 miles, which was what my average oil loss was before they replaced the block.

Service dude said that it might use about 1 quart in the first 1,000 miles and to expect it and that was with asuming no oil leaking.

I also have a tiny drip, that I have never seen actually drip on the ground (I think) but there are drips that can be found hanging on the skid plate, when it's parked. I can however smell the leak as it must be dripping on the exhust someplace. Possible that it's only leaking when running because parts of the suspension are coated with fresh oily residue.

They know about the leak and they will be pinpointing and fixing that Monday.

Loosing a quart in 1,000 miles is just as bad as before but there are just too many variables on this first 1,000 to know what it is really using.

I am hoping that the next 1,000 mile test will use 1/2 a quart or less, asumng the leak gets fixed.

Quick Reply: It's in the shop (oil consumption update)