Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

It's in the shop (oil consumption update)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 05:44 AM
Jonathan Allyn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad68
Ok here's the latest update for now.

After the new block was installed, I was down 1/2 a quart at 700 miles. Totally baby'in the engine.

Just checked it again at 1,200 and it is now 1 quart low.

It's going in Monday for the 1,000 mile checkup. So it has basically lost about 1 quart with the new short block in 1,000 miles, which was what my average oil loss was before they replaced the block.

Service dude said that it might use about 1 quart in the first 1,000 miles and to expect it and that was with asuming no oil leaking.

I also have a tiny drip, that I have never seen actually drip on the ground (I think) but there are drips that can be found hanging on the skid plate, when it's parked. I can however smell the leak as it must be dripping on the exhust someplace. Possible that it's only leaking when running because parts of the suspension are coated with fresh oily residue.

They know about the leak and they will be pinpointing and fixing that Monday.

Loosing a quart in 1,000 miles is just as bad as before but there are just too many variables on this first 1,000 to know what it is really using.

I am hoping that the next 1,000 mile test will use 1/2 a quart or less, asumng the leak gets fixed.
My cams were scored on the head from oil depervation. There may be an existing problem with the head thats contributing to your new issue.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:10 AM
Brocken

Don't expect too much Chad. I think it's pretty normal for those with replacement short blocks to have problems after. I've seen guys posting that they're on their 3rd engine replacement. Don't let Nissan drag it out too long before you ask for a replacement Z. Or at least a complete engine.
Putting stuff back together who knows what kind of stuff can be messed up even with a competent tech. Still no substitute for factory built.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:23 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brocken
Don't expect too much Chad. I think it's pretty normal for those with replacement short blocks to have problems after. I've seen guys posting that they're on their 3rd engine replacement. Don't let Nissan drag it out too long before you ask for a replacement Z. Or at least a complete engine.
Putting stuff back together who knows what kind of stuff can be messed up even with a competent tech. Still no substitute for factory built.

Well here's the latest BULL$%^

Ok here's what they found out today.

They put dye in the oil and found a leak in the oil pan. They say that they will have to remove the entire engine again to get to the pan, (they think). Plus they want me to put some miles on it with the dye, so they can be sure that the pan is the only leak.

Soon as I got home, I walked around my car and found a foot long scratch on my rear drivers quarter panel!!!

Looks like whoever the retard was that washed my car, didn't use a clean towel to dry it.

I tried buffing it out with just NXT wax and it's not working, so I'm going to have to try buffing or polishing compound, whichever is milder.

Makes me sick knowing they are going to be tearing it all apart again and of course scratching and denting it even more. .

One more scratch or dent and their repainting the whole MF'in car

Last edited by Chad68; 10-16-2006 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:42 PM
Chad68

A replacement Z? How is that going to work? I have $6,000 invested in aftermarket parts and labor.

They give me a replacement Z and I can kiss the custom wheels/tires, springs, spoiler, window tint and probably a few other things goodbye. I still have the stock exhaust but not wheels or springs.

Unless they want to cut me a check to cover those items I bought, that's not an option I can see happening.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:17 PM
Xoulrath

Man, you guys with oil consumption problems have me freakin' out. My Z has just over 1,000 miles on it, and I have yet to check the oil. I was going to wait until about 2,000, which is my typical half way to an oil change check. Before I drive the Z again, I will be checking the dipstick. I will also be searching for the best price on some Royal Purple, and change the oil every 3,000; and not Nissan's recommended 3,750.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Chad68

Last edited by Chad68; 10-16-2006 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:58 AM
Chad68

This is a nightmare plain and simple.

If the 12" scratch wasn't enough I just found that whoever dried the car busted the Z emblem in half SNAP!!!!

I was still trying to buff out their mistake and decided to wax the whole car and found the rear emblem busted off. I have had my own towels hang up on it but as careless as they are who would expect them to be carefull.

Oh man and I'm going to have fun at the dealer Tuesday. Oh man am I gonna make a scene.

Man I wanna sue them now
Old 10-17-2006, 01:27 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Chad68
This is a nightmare plain and simple.

If the 12" scratch wasn't enough I just found that whoever dried the car busted the Z emblem in half SNAP!!!!

I was still trying to buff out their mistake and decided to wax the whole car and found the rear emblem busted off. I have had my own towels hang up on it but as careless as they are who would expect them to be carefull.

Oh man and I'm going to have fun at the dealer Tuesday. Oh man am I gonna make a scene.

Man I wanna sue them now

Dam reminds me of the incompetant ****s at the Nissan dealer who razor bladed my entire front end on my 03 when they were trying to clear bra it. ****ING IDIOTS!
Old 10-17-2006, 07:10 AM
Brocken

Chad-sounds like it might be time to seek legal advice. If you don't want to ask for a replacement Z I would suggest at least pushing for some kind of settlement.
If you got a replacement Z you could probably swap parts. Just a thought.
I guess for me having them buy back the Z is a better deal because I haven't modded it much yet and I've only had it a few months. Which is one of the reasons I want them to buy it back. I had it 45 days before it threw SES and was almost empty on oil.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:11 AM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the lemon law. This is getting ridiculous!

Regarding the scratches, I took it in to get the axle clicking fixed again and ended up having my sides skirt scraped and LE-37t curbed. The same dealership blew up my dad's Z32TT motor 2 years ago.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:31 AM
Jonathan Allyn

Originally Posted by djtonium
Check the lemon law. This is getting ridiculous!

Regarding the scratches, I took it in to get the axle clicking fixed again and ended up having my sides skirt scraped and LE-37t curbed. The same dealership blew up my dad's Z32TT motor 2 years ago.
Why did you take it back to them then??
Old 10-17-2006, 03:51 PM
Chad68

Chad-sounds like it might be time to seek legal advice. If you don't want to ask for a replacement Z I would suggest at least pushing for some kind of settlement.
If you got a replacement Z you could probably swap parts. Just a thought.
I guess for me having them buy back the Z is a better deal because I haven't modded it much yet and I've only had it a few months. Which is one of the reasons I want them to buy it back. I had it 45 days before it threw SES and was almost empty on oil.
Hey would you mind posting or PM'ing me some more details on what you did and had to go through?

If they can't fix the oil issue, I don't want another Nissan. This is my 3rd Nissan, 4 if you count a really old Datsun I had and this is my second brand new Nissan vehicle and I'm done with them after this Z.

Right now, I would rather loose a few thousand dollars on what I put into it, swap back as many stock parts as I can, sell the aftermarket stuff and get as much money back as I can using the buy back program thing.

They haven't had to work on the oil issue enought times yet to qualify for any lemon law suit. All they have done so far is just swap out the blocks, which is leaking some now. If they can't end up fixing this leak after 2 attempts, then I will bring up putting in a whole new long block, then if that don't work, it's lawyer time, to either get them to put in a long block or buy it back. Honestly I would just prefer they end up buying it back in the end.

I breifly read through Californias law and said something that if they have your car in the shop for more than 30 accumulated days, you qualify. When I get it back next week, we will be halfway there already anyway.

By the way, how much of your purchase price did you get back? I'm curious as to how much they don't give back. Is it a deprciation thing or how does it work?

Last edited by Chad68; 10-17-2006 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:30 PM
Everybodywildou

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manu
None of your mods could cause the car to consume more oil.
hes got cams. Thats game over
Old 10-17-2006, 05:58 PM
SnakeBitten

Wow I thought I was the only one dealing with idiot dealers....My car ran bone dry after 3 months of ownership...In less than a year Ive had 4 oil changes because the oil was low and dirty...Didnt matter how I drove very poor gas milage[10mpg] and oil consumption...

First dealer where I bought the car told me the engine is hermetically sealed so there is no way the oil could come out...I almost fuked that guy up for taking me for some fool...I used to work in the HVAC field so I know what hermetically sealed means...Then when I pointed out the axle clicking[didnt know it was that at the time] he told me its my 20" rims hitting my calipers...These freaks could have been unconsious if this happened 6 years ago..But the new wiser, calmer me just took it to another dealer who promptly fixed the axle clicking...

However the tech told me to put 10-40 oil in as a solution for oil burning...I said that is not Nissans recommendation and its not acceptable to me...So now Im waiting to see the outcome of the inquiry......I love my car but I aint gonna put up with a lemon...Only two senarios are acceptable to me...Replace my car with a comparable Z or replace the engine with a new long block...Anything less I will get a lawyer..
Old 10-18-2006, 06:39 AM
Brocken

CHAD- Nissan hasn't repurchased my car, I'm in the process of trying to get a buyback.
I decided a few weeks ago after a few visits and getting the runaround from Nissan NA and the dealer that I wasn't going to hassle with the car anymore.
It says how poorly they're taking care of me to say that this was my dream car and I now hate it.

I just went in for visit 5 yesterday which is more than I "had" to by law. In WA, 4 visits to the dealer to diagnose or repair(note, they don't have to make a repair, even if they just document the problem that's "diagnosis") falls under lemon law territory. Doesn't mean you'll automatically get it, but it means that you qualify to file for it.
Anyway, they had locked down the dipstick last visit and told me to come back after 500 miles. I didn't want to jump through more hoops since I'd filed for arbitration but figured I'd better let them unhook it and check the oil. I pulled into the service bay, waited for 15 minutes and then watched them check the oil. After 530 miles it was down to the low mark. They stated on the paperwork this was 1 quart low. 500 miles and 1 quart low! That's worse than it was before. I'm glad I went in because that's further proof for arbitration that it's a serious problem. The tech even said that's a major issue and the engine will probably fail soon. He was going to talk to his manager today and see what to do. I told him we filed already but he wanted to see what they should do in the meantime.
Too bad the dealer didn't convey this to Nissan in the first few trips. Now maybe they'll take me seriously....who am I kidding, Nissan will still say "look in your manual, some consumption is normal..."

I will keep you updated and let you know how it goes. The arbitration process takes a while, unfortunately. It will be another couple months probably before i get a court date and find out what's going to happen.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:17 AM
Swiffer

I dont understand why you are constantly having issues with your Z. There are TONS of 06 Z's without this problem. I find it very unfortunate that you've had the same oil loss issue even with a new block.

I know this sounds dumb, but are you breaking it in properly? (under 4k rpms for 1200 miles)

The VQ block is actually a very reliable and trouble free engine. I'm very suprised at all of the events that you have gone through.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:21 PM
Brocken

camaro- you should go work for Nissan or the dealer.....

I know overall the VQ is a reliable engine, one of the reasons I bought Nissan. However unbelievable it is, there are a significant number of cars consuming way more oil than they should.

I know I broke it in following Nissan's recommendations and I'm sure most people with problems did too.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:39 PM
KnightRiders79

Originally Posted by Manu
I believe that the way you run a brand new engine for the first hundreds of miles makes the difference between good and poor piston ring seal.
take a z broken in hard, then one soft and check its compression and leakdown when ur done. the one broken in hard will have a higher, more consistant compression and close to 0% leakdown. this will not be true with the softer one.

a hard break in will lead to a more realible motor as well as more hp/tq and a stronger powerplant for later modding. this has been proven and published many times. one example was with two gsx1000 bikes, one was broken in hard and one soft, then both were taken apart after 20k, the one broken in hard had signifigantly less wear on the cylinder walls, also it dyno'd at a higher hp.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:53 PM
Chad68

Originally Posted by camaro194
I dont understand why you are constantly having issues with your Z. There are TONS of 06 Z's without this problem. I find it very unfortunate that you've had the same oil loss issue even with a new block.

I know this sounds dumb, but are you breaking it in properly? (under 4k rpms for 1200 miles)

The VQ block is actually a very reliable and trouble free engine. I'm very suprised at all of the events that you have gone through.

The block may be reliable but apparently the rings on the rev up engine blow. literally.

There are way too many people having issues with their 2006 manuals for them all to be caused by improper break in.

What I don't understand is why the anniversay models don't seem to have the same problem on the same scale.

The reason I may have used 1 quart of oil in the first 1,200 miles with this new block is because they couldn't seem to replace the block without making it leak oil, as well as dent the door. The oil issue is almost second on my ***** list. The fact that they can't work on my car without scratching denting it and breaking off emblems is enough to make me want to go postal on them.

Oh I guess you can't say b!tch. How sad:-( :-P

Last edited by Chad68; 10-18-2006 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:42 PM
Chad68

CHAD- Nissan hasn't repurchased my car, I'm in the process of trying to get a buyback.
I decided a few weeks ago after a few visits and getting the runaround from Nissan NA and the dealer that I wasn't going to hassle with the car anymore.
It says how poorly they're taking care of me to say that this was my dream car and I now hate it.

I just went in for visit 5 yesterday which is more than I "had" to by law. In WA, 4 visits to the dealer to diagnose or repair(note, they don't have to make a repair, even if they just document the problem that's "diagnosis") falls under lemon law territory. Doesn't mean you'll automatically get it, but it means that you qualify to file for it.
Anyway, they had locked down the dipstick last visit and told me to come back after 500 miles. I didn't want to jump through more hoops since I'd filed for arbitration but figured I'd better let them unhook it and check the oil. I pulled into the service bay, waited for 15 minutes and then watched them check the oil. After 530 miles it was down to the low mark. They stated on the paperwork this was 1 quart low. 500 miles and 1 quart low! That's worse than it was before. I'm glad I went in because that's further proof for arbitration that it's a serious problem. The tech even said that's a major issue and the engine will probably fail soon. He was going to talk to his manager today and see what to do. I told him we filed already but he wanted to see what they should do in the meantime.
Too bad the dealer didn't convey this to Nissan in the first few trips. Now maybe they'll take me seriously....who am I kidding, Nissan will still say "look in your manual, some consumption is normal..."

I will keep you updated and let you know how it goes. The arbitration process takes a while, unfortunately. It will be another couple months probably before i get a court date and find out what's going to happen.
Thanks for your reply man. Did they replace your block or engine at all before it had dropped 1 quart in 530 miles or did you just decide to not let them fix the consumption problem?

Quick Reply: It's in the shop (oil consumption update)