Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z vs S2k

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 10:40 PM
BrianZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mav

Interesting... Stupidity and ignornace at its finest.

On paper, in all out straightline performance, the 350Z edges out the S. But in handling, no way. Stock for stock, the S2000 is the one of the best handling cars out there.
I agree with this statement.

Other than all the OBVIOUS reasons you don't want an S2K (uncomfortable, convertible, overpriced, featureless) the big one is: its a HONDA! 'Nuff said!

Last edited by BrianZ; 07-14-2002 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-14-2002, 10:49 PM
mav

Originally posted by BrianZ

Well you know what the problem with convertibles is? WHEN they ROLL-OVER you get to use your head as pavement cushion.

Don't tell me nobody rolls. I now someone who rolled his Z3, and I've been in 2 roll-overs myself.

Give me that metal over my noggin!!!
The S2000 has fully functional rollbars. A few fellow S2000 owners I know have rolled (in fact, one flipped his S multiple times) and nothing but bumps and bruises.

My old S2000 was rear ended by an SUV traveling at 45MPH (I was stopped in traffic). Besides the obvious whiplash, no intrusion into the passenger compartment. The cupple zones and frame held up extremely well.

When I first purchased my original S, I didn't feel too safe, but now, after experiencing a hard hit first hand, I feel extremely safe in it.
Old 07-14-2002, 10:56 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Other than all the OBVIOUS reasons you don't want an S2K (uncomfortable, convertible, overpriced, featureless) the big on is: its a HONDA! 'Nuff said!
I couldn't disagree with this more. To me, because it's a Honda is an excellent reason to buy a car. I wish Honda made something like the 350Z. I have owned several Hondas and have found them to have exceptional quality, driving characteristics, and reliability. My current Honda is a '97 Odyssey Minivan which has gone 100k miles (not driven gently) and has had ZERO problems since day one. Nothing other than regularly scheduled maintenance.

Honda seems to be the quality yardstick that the magazines use when judging other cars, especially in interior fit and finish, feel of the switchgear, etc.
Old 07-14-2002, 10:57 PM
mav

I agree with this statement.

Other than all the OBVIOUS reasons you don't want an S2K (uncomfortable, convertible, overpriced, featureless) the big on is: its a HONDA! 'Nuff said!
Well to each his own... I love my S2000, best car I ever owned period. Its comfortable for me, the Recaro seats are very nice. The convertible is a huge plus. Overpriced? I thought it was very well priced against the competition (Porsche Boxster, Audi TT, etc). Best performance for the money, I think. Featureless? Well, Honda designed this to be a true sports car, not a sports touring car, like the 350Z. Weight is a big issue. My only complaint about the S2000 is the two dollar stereo system. Its horrific! Also, what's wrong with it being a Honda? Honda's are great realiable cars. They also manufacture great sports cars, as in the NSX and S2000.
Old 07-14-2002, 11:05 PM
BrianZ

Originally posted by mav

Well to each his own... I love my S2000, best car I ever owned period. Its comfortable for me, the Recaro seats are very nice. The convertible is a huge plus. Overpriced? I thought it was very well priced against the competition (Porsche Boxster, Audi TT, etc). Best performance for the money, I think. Featureless? Well, Honda designed this to be a true sports car, not a sports touring car, like the 350Z. Weight is a big issue. My only complaint about the S2000 is the two dollar stereo system. Its horrific! Also, what's wrong with it being a Honda? Honda's are great realiable cars. They also manufacture great sports cars, as in the NSX and S2000.
Well I sure wouldn't characterize the Z's stereo system as superior to the S2K. I heard it and IMHO it sounds HORRIBLE. I couldn't believe how bad it was. And that was the BOSE!!!

It just reinforced my opinion of how bad BOSE is.

I mentioned before why I don't like CONVERTIBLES: roll-overs. If anybody could roll an S2K it'd be me!

I've only been in one once and I felt that how low you are compared to the floor making your legs very straight combined with the bathtub effect made it very unconfortable to sit in, get into, and get out of. Maybe I'm just old.

Plus I'm biased: firstly, my deposit is down for the Z; secondly, I'm prejiduced against Hondas.
Old 07-14-2002, 11:07 PM
BrianZ

Originally posted by z350z

I couldn't disagree with this more. To me, because it's a Honda is an excellent reason to buy a car. I wish Honda made something like the 350Z. I have owned several Hondas and have found them to have exceptional quality, driving characteristics, and reliability. My current Honda is a '97 Odyssey Minivan which has gone 100k miles (not driven gently) and has had ZERO problems since day one. Nothing other than regularly scheduled maintenance.

Honda seems to be the quality yardstick that the magazines use when judging other cars, especially in interior fit and finish, feel of the switchgear, etc.
Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Don't like 'em, probably never will.

Last edited by BrianZ; 07-14-2002 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-14-2002, 11:10 PM
BrianZ

Originally posted by mav

The S2000 has fully functional rollbars. A few fellow S2000 owners I know have rolled (in fact, one flipped his S multiple times) and nothing but bumps and bruises.

My old S2000 was rear ended by an SUV traveling at 45MPH (I was stopped in traffic). Besides the obvious whiplash, no intrusion into the passenger compartment. The cupple zones and frame held up extremely well.

When I first purchased my original S, I didn't feel too safe, but now, after experiencing a hard hit first hand, I feel extremely safe in it.
The guy I know that rolled his Z3 didn't die either. He doesn't remember exactly what happened, just woke up upside down in the bottom of ditch with rescue people all around.

I've had other convertibles (Triumphs, Fiats, VWs) and I just don't trust them "roll" bars. They're obviously okay in some circumstances, but knowing me I'd be doing some hair-brained maneuver and roll it such a way as negate all the safety features!
Old 07-14-2002, 11:27 PM
Ladypod
Charter Member #66

Originally posted by z350z
What really gets me is little old ladies (well, middle-aged ladies, anyway) that get an S2000 because it's a cute little convertible a little cooler than a Miata, and never rev it over 4500 RPM. What a waste.
As one of your "middle-aged ladies" I take exception to that statement. I have a Miata, and drive it hard, and enjoy it a lot. I hope to do the same with my Z. I know plenty of guys who have fancy sports car, including Lexus and Mercedes, who have no idea what they're really driving, but want them because they are cool looking. Don't put us ladies down.
Old 07-14-2002, 11:51 PM
BrianZ

Originally posted by Ladypod

As one of your "middle-aged ladies" I take exception to that statement. I have a Miata, and drive it hard, and enjoy it a lot. I hope to do the same with my Z. I know plenty of guys who have fancy sports car, including Lexus and Mercedes, who have no idea what they're really driving, but want them because they are cool looking. Don't put us ladies down.
Here, here!!!

My wife is a SPEED-DEMON! (or is it "demonette"?)
Old 07-15-2002, 01:48 AM
john0213

Originally posted by mav

i agree ur point on the price before the z came out, but it seems a little overprice to me now. And yes, it was very well priced against the competition, but that's before, not now anymore.

my 2 cents~
Old 07-15-2002, 02:07 AM
NissaNZ

Hey mav don't tell me you were one of those absent minded people who shelled out $32K+ for a 4 cylinder honda, hahaha. Sorry man but that's really funny I can't stop laughing.

I bet on a good day you couldn't even break a 0-60 time of 6.5 without dumpin the clutch at 9000rpm.

BTW my neighbor says his honda lawnmower also will handle better than the Z, lol.

Gotta love honda onwers, they don't know the meaning of the word power.
Old 07-15-2002, 02:29 AM
BrianZ

Originally posted by TwinTurboZX
Hey mav don't tell me you were one of those absent minded people who shelled out $32K+ for a 4 cylinder honda, hahaha. Sorry man but that's really funny I can't stop laughing.

I bet on a good day you couldn't even break a 0-60 time of 6.5 without dumpin the clutch at 9000rpm.

BTW my neighbor says his honda lawnmower also will handle better than the Z, lol.

Look, nobody hates Hondas more than me, however they do make some fantastic racing engines. In the lobby of their HQ they've got some examples of 650HP 2l engines. I just love that stuff. How many of you want to put a little 2 liter engine in their car that puts out as much horsepower as TWO Corvette 5.7liter engines? I guess I'm just a true gear-head at heart....
Old 07-15-2002, 03:06 AM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My $0.02

If my dealer tries any games when MY Z arrives, count me in for an S2K.

Hp does not make a Sports car.

Torque does not make a Sports car.

Hard or soft top does not make a Sports car.

Handling Do make a sports car.

Fun DO make a Sports car.

Only 2 seats (forget about Porsche's rear seats) DO make a Sports car.

Light weight Helps make a Sports car, versus a GT car.

Getting around a Road Race track faster than a stinking Ceedan DO make a Sports car.

Antenna location .....................GeeZZZZZZ!

Ahaaaa, the debate continues

Triple layered quilted Nomex on.

PS: SCCA (and other racing organiZations) do NOT consider S2K roll bars Roll bars. One must install a multy point bar. (big bucks)

PSS: For those with a propensity to roll their cars, may I suggest a Driving School!
Old 07-15-2002, 03:12 AM
rouxeny

Hey, lots of people don't like Honda for lots of different reasons, but they are one of the most innovative car companies in existence today. Nobody is better at getting hp out of a small displacement engine. VTEC is fascinating technology and has paved the way for many other makes to feature something similar. The cars are very safe and the interiors, while boring are excellently put together. My Accord is 6 years old and the headlight **** still turns with an audible click. I sat in a new Maxima recently, and the interior material just doesn't compare. I think that's about the only thing I'll be slightly disappointed on with the Z, that the interior will probably seem slightly cheap.

If and when Honda finally comes out with a mainstream, rear wheel drive sports car, the market will again be redefined.
Old 07-15-2002, 04:01 AM
BrianZ

Originally posted by rouxeny
Hey, lots of people don't like Honda for lots of different reasons, but they are one of the most innovative car companies in existence today. Nobody is better at getting hp out of a small displacement engine. VTEC is fascinating technology and has paved the way for many other makes to feature something similar. The cars are very safe and the interiors, while boring are excellently put together. My Accord is 6 years old and the headlight **** still turns with an audible click. I sat in a new Maxima recently, and the interior material just doesn't compare. I think that's about the only thing I'll be slightly disappointed on with the Z, that the interior will probably seem slightly cheap.

If and when Honda finally comes out with a mainstream, rear wheel drive sports car, the market will again be redefined.
Hondas are bogus.
Old 07-15-2002, 04:23 AM
mav

I suggest that you look up the word "ignorance" in the dictionary. I bet you will see a pic of yourself...
Old 07-15-2002, 05:10 AM
Boomer

Default VS

Hey guys, I've been around long enough to own 4 Nissans: 72 240Z, 89, 92 and 99 Maximas; and 3 Hondas: 84 Prelude, 88 Prelude(4 wheel steering, a blast to drive) and a 97 Accord EX w/5spd to commute in when I traded my 91 MR2T. All of the cars I've listed were excellent cars and I was set on buying an Acura RSX-S(still a Honda) when the Z finally gelled into a real car after 3 yrs.

I would have had another MT(6 spd this time) after I had rejected the BMW M3, 330IC, S2000, Corvette, etc.

I still like both Nissans and Hondas(Vtec especially) because they are fun, reliable cars. Even the 97 Accord, with $2K worth of mods; suspension, strut brace, tires and K&N filter became fun to drive, still slow 0-60, but handled like a real sports coupe.

The two car lines have a lot to offer the sports car fan, they just do it in different ways. A 6spd Acura or 350Z are fun cars; I simply fell in love with the new Z and the more I learned the more I wanted one. My wife and I discussed the purchase and decided to go for the Z with AT for the stop and go driving in metro areas and National Parks(oh yeah) which we plan to travel to in the Z and the RSX-S wasn't available in an AT. Also, the parasitic losses from an AT are better handled by a 6 or 8. With 287 hp and 274 ft pds of torque, the Z with AT will still be a lot faster than the RSX-S 6spd and, its a 2 seater like my first new car and the reliability and power of the VQ drivetrain sealed the deal.

Boomer--love Nissan 6s and Honda 4s; remember, I chose the Z! long-winded again, sorry. BR/FR

Last edited by Boomer; 07-15-2002 at 05:14 AM.
Old 07-15-2002, 05:24 AM
S2kRob

If anyone really thinks the s2000 is gonna even come close to the 350z in performance and handling is smoking a big azz joint. Are you kidding me dont compare an overpriced civic on steroids to a monster sports car like the 350Z. Whoever paid money for an s2000 is gotta be one stupid human being, very dumb indeed. Sorry, but I just thought I'd put things in perspective for you guys.
Haha, I hope this post was in jest. It's just too stupid not to be.

For one thing, I'd like to point out that the S2000 is built on a purpose-built chassis that is designed only for the S2000. No other car, including a sports sedan will be built using this chassis.

The 350Z, need I remind anyone here, is built on the same FM chassis that the Infiniti G35 sedan and coupe are built on, as well as the Nissan Stagea wagon.

Let me just iterate here that the Nissan Stagea wagon in Japan sports an ARX version, which is essentially an Audi Allroad competitor. Hmmm, doesn't sound too sporting to me.

The S2000's F20C engine was derived from Honda's British Touring Car Championship racecar engine, and it shares several things in common with that engine, including the head design.

The 350Z's VQ35DE started life as a truck engine, and was developed and refined for general passenger car use.

Hmmmm. Now which car started life as a pure sports car, and which started life as a platform derivative?

(I know this is a 350Z board, I wouldn't post here if I didn't love the 350Z, which I do, and I know I'll probably get flack for this post, but I don't care, the original post was pure idiocy. I hope it doesn't reflect the mental capabilities of other to-be Z owners.)
Old 07-15-2002, 05:28 AM
max2000jp

Originally posted by S2kRob

The 350Z's VQ35DE started life as a truck engine, and was developed and refined for general passenger car use.

The VQ never started as a truck engine.
Old 07-15-2002, 05:36 AM
S2kRob

Originally posted by max2000jp

The VQ never started as a truck engine.
I'm pretty sure it made its debut in Nissan's pickup trucks first.

Quick Reply: 350Z vs S2k