Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z vs S2k

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2002, 06:39 PM
max2000jp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350Z vs S2k

I was reading on clubsi and couple other forums how people think that the S2k is gonna be faster than the 350Z. I think this is pretty redicoulous from personal experience and actual stats. People think that the Z is not living up to "standards" cause it runs a 14.1. Well I had to sign up to a couple other boards and set people straight.

Check this out and see what you think:
http://forums.clubsi.com/showflat.ph...b=5&o=0&fpart=

Give me your honest opinion on which you think is quicker. I personally think that the Z will be .2-.4 quicker down the 1/4
Old 07-13-2002, 06:59 PM
Sanderman

Default I think it's moot

My business partner owns a brand new S2000 and we both are sporst car nuts. He'd be the first to agree that it's a totally different kind of car. A low torque high revving convertible with no creature comforts. Don't get me wrong, its a great car, but it's not the same kind of car as the Z.

And the racket you have to put up with to get the 2000 to go fast is unbelievable...

joe
Old 07-13-2002, 07:16 PM
rai

I had been toying with the idea of a S2000 over the Z and even went and tested one. Let me say the S2000 is a world class car. It is great fun to drive, and quick. It's gearbox is second to none. I joined a S2000 board and was asking around and found that people who already have a S2000 are very loyal to the car. Sometimes though opinions can cloud judgment.

For example someone wrote:For racing and very hard street driving, I give the S2000 an little edge in acceleration and a big one in handling. If rowed properly, the s2k will own the 350 except below 30mph. Although I havent heard of any 350Zs doing road racing yet, I would put money on the S2k putting laps on it, stock vs stock.

It's just wrong to say the S2k will own the Z in any situation just wrong. How can anyone say that? The Z has never been tested or timed on a track so it is only speculation.

I have found that most people both in thi Z camp and in the S2000 camp can appreciate the other car and do not have to put the rival down to make themselves feel better about their car. But I have found that a few S2000 supporters are threatened by the Z and have to put it down as an overweight cruiser that can't handle much like we put down the Mustang. Like to say if you are so worried about torque then buy the Z, but in the twisties you will be seeing my tailights.

Performance the two will be very close. But the Z will be easier to drive with 120 more torque. The Z has only been tested ONCE who knows how accurate it is? Right now it looks pretty even, but what if the Z starts pulling 13.7's with ease? Lets see the two go head to head on the track before we declare the S2000 a winner. People that are putting the Z down now are doing so because they are afraid that if there was a road test the Z might just win. The things that makes me chose the Z over the S2000 are not really performance related. They are:

1)TC stability control, brake force distribution (not usually found in this price class)
2)hard top, side and head air bags, 400 pounds heavier = safer car
3)18" rays brembos (on track) looks better than S2000 with 16" wheels.
4) honda has 120 hp/liter is going to be hard to find extra HP, The Z at 82/hp per liter seems easier to bump up the HP(90 hp/liter will give us 315).
Old 07-13-2002, 08:07 PM
Flyingscot

I firmly believe that the Z has more potential than cars like the S2000 or Boxter S. With stiffer springs and better shocks and a few engine tweaks, the Z will be very hard to beat.

If Nissan thinks the Z can go up against the GT3s of this world then watch this space. Aftermarket parts will be plentiful.

Building a great performance car is all about stiffness, weight distribution, suspension geometry and engine capabilities.

The Z has all of these virtues.

This is not to say that the S2000 or Boxter S are not great cars. But to put the Z down just because they are great cars is like saying the Ferrari stinks because Porsche doesn't.

Last edited by Flyingscot; 07-13-2002 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-13-2002, 08:56 PM
Pork Chop

In straight line acceleration, the Z should be a little quicker than the S2K, simply based on power to weight ratios (Z is carrying 11.24 lb/hp [track model] vs the S2K carrying 11.67 lb/hp).

On a track, it's tough to call. On a more "open" track, the 47 hp advantage will help the Z, but on a tighter track (ie autoX), the S2K enjoys a 400 lb weight advantage. It's also a smaller car with a shorter wheelbase, so it should inherently be more nimble. I'd give the edge to the S2K.

In real world daily driving situations, the Z should be faster in most situations because it has more torque. To get the most out of the S2K, you have to rev it beyond 6000rpm, which is not really practical for daily use. Not to say that the S2K is a total slug below 6000, since it's still got pretty good punch in the mid-lower ranges, but if you get caught in the wrong gear at 2500 rpm on an onramp, it might take a while to get back up to speed.
Old 07-13-2002, 10:13 PM
Flyingscot

Originally posted by Pork Chop
On a track, it's tough to call. On a more "open" track, the 47 hp advantage will help the Z, but on a tighter track (ie autoX), the S2K enjoys a 400 lb weight advantage. It's also a smaller car with a shorter wheelbase, so it should inherently be more nimble. I'd give the edge to the S2K.
Pork Chop, you make a reasonable argument here and your logic is sound. However, I have some recent autocrossing results from our local car club. We have S2000s, Celicas, 240sx, heavy cars, light cars, big cars, little cars. About the only thing they have in common is four wheels. Well, my point is (wait, I'm getting there) it too often comes down to the driver of the car. And of all the things that bench racers like to talk about, he or she is the biggest variable. And since cars do not drive themselves, performance stats can be misleading. In the end, what we are really discussing is the "potential" of a car. Attaining that "potential" can be a complicated affair. Discussing that "potential" (as JDZ stated) is speculative at best.

Last edited by Flyingscot; 07-13-2002 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-14-2002, 01:31 AM
NSANY
Charter Member #52

Originally posted by Pork Chop
get caught in the wrong gear at 2500 rpm on an onramp, it might take a while to get back up to speed.
A perfect observation. I had a stellar opportunity today when I wish I had my Z. Wide open highway, no one in sight. A guy in an S2000 coming back from the country club passes me in the fast lane. I so wished I had my Z so we could play a little bit. I was more than willing to bet this guy couldn't find the right gear...
Old 07-14-2002, 03:27 AM
z350z
Charter Member #13

What really gets me is little old ladies (well, middle-aged ladies, anyway) that get an S2000 because it's a cute little convertible a little cooler than a Miata, and never rev it over 4500 RPM. What a waste.
Old 07-14-2002, 04:26 AM
Zmeflyby

Default Re: 350Z vs S2k

Originally posted by max2000jp
I was reading on clubsi and couple other forums how people think that the S2k is gonna be faster than the 350Z. I think this is pretty redicoulous from personal experience and actual stats. People think that the Z is not living up to "standards" cause it runs a 14.1. Well I had to sign up to a couple other boards and set people straight.

Check this out and see what you think:
http://forums.clubsi.com/showflat.ph...b=5&o=0&fpart=

Give me your honest opinion on which you think is quicker. I personally think that the Z will be .2-.4 quicker down the 1/4
i think i read somewhere on dat same magazine, it said dat the s2k ran a 14.5 at a 1/4 mile and they got the Z runnin 14.1 so i know the Z is faster but hands down to the s2k.
Old 07-14-2002, 05:24 AM
Pork Chop

Originally posted by Flyingscot

Pork Chop, you make a reasonable argument here and your logic is sound. However, I have some recent autocrossing results from our local car club. We have S2000s, Celicas, 240sx, heavy cars, light cars, big cars, little cars. About the only thing they have in common is four wheels. Well, my point is (wait, I'm getting there) it too often comes down to the driver of the car. And of all the things that bench racers like to talk about, he or she is the biggest variable. And since cars do not drive themselves, performance stats can be misleading. In the end, what we are really discussing is the "potential" of a car. Attaining that "potential" can be a complicated affair. Discussing that "potential" (as JDZ stated) is speculative at best.
Correct, we are discussing "potential" and any comments here are purely speculative since no one has actually driven the Z yet in a competitive environment.

I'm curious to see where the SCCA decides to class the Z for autocross. My guess is either in AS with C4 Corvettes or BS with the S2K and Boxster (there are other cars in each of these classes but I just singled out these since they're perceived as the "dominant" cars).

Regardless, sooner or later, someone will bring out a Z to an autoX and prep it to the extent of the class rules. At local events, you probably wont be able to determine if it's "faster" than the S2K since driver is the biggest variable, like you already mentioned. However, at the bigger events, when some of the more established national-caliber drivers start showing up in the Z, only then will we be truly able to see what the car is capable of.
Old 07-14-2002, 05:33 AM
BrianZ

I've had plenty of high-horsepower low-torque vehicles. Forget the S2000.

Soon enough it'll be shown for what it is: a small low-slung car without any REAL cajones.
Old 07-14-2002, 05:39 AM
rai

There are other threads on this topic like this one:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....&threadid=2103

R&T got the S2000 to run 13.6@105 mph in the 1/4 mile so we are not yet the clear winner in the faster car. But I think the S2000 is usually running 5.6 and 14.4 sec in most magazines. I'm still holding out hope for 5.0 and 13.6 for the Z.
Old 07-14-2002, 05:49 AM
NissaNZ

Lightbulb

If anyone really thinks the s2000 is gonna even come close to the 350z in performance and handling is smoking a big azz joint. Are you kidding me dont compare an overpriced civic on steroids to a monster sports car like the 350Z. Whoever paid money for an s2000 is gotta be one stupid human being, very dumb indeed. Sorry, but I just thought I'd put things in perspective for you guys.
Old 07-14-2002, 06:07 AM
TJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by TwinTurboZX
If anyone really thinks the s2000 is gonna even come close to the 350z in performance and handling is smoking a big azz joint. Are you kidding me dont compare an overpriced civic on steroids to a monster sports car like the 350Z. Whoever paid money for an s2000 is gotta be one stupid human being, very dumb indeed. Sorry, but I just thought I'd put things in perspective for you guys.
Just a bit bias now, are we?
Old 07-14-2002, 08:00 AM
NissaNZ

Originally posted by TJZ

No, not biased just tellin it like it is.
Old 07-14-2002, 08:35 AM
BrianZ

Originally posted by TJZ

Uh, this is a 350Z board afterall.
Old 07-14-2002, 03:17 PM
john0213

i think we still can't see the real performance when the z comes out, cuz the car needs some miles on to put out the best performance, so we have to wait for a few more months to see the real number.
Old 07-14-2002, 10:16 PM
BrianZ

Originally posted by VQracer

Have you ever driven the S2000? It handles quite well IMO. Just telling the truth here.

Victor
Well you know what the problem with convertibles is? WHEN they ROLL-OVER you get to use your head as pavement cushion.

Don't tell me nobody rolls. I now someone who rolled his Z3, and I've been in 2 roll-overs myself.

Give me that metal over my noggin!!!
Old 07-14-2002, 10:37 PM
mav

Originally posted by TwinTurboZX
Interesting... Stupidity and ignornace at its finest.

On paper, in all out straightline performance, the 350Z edges out the S. But in handling, no way. Stock for stock, the S2000 is the one of the best handling cars out there.

Quick Reply: 350Z vs S2k