Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z vs S2k

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 05:37 AM
rouxeny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree that the S2000 was more purpose-built to be a sports car. It is MUCH more than a built up Civic. The Z has many elements from other cars, but then again, so do the M3 and M5 and I doubt anybody would dare to call them "not true sports cars."

As to Hondas being "bogus," I'm not even sure how to answer that in a thoughtful manner.
Old 07-15-2002, 06:39 AM
NissaNZ

OK skRob maybe you should brush up on your Nissan engines cause the VQ35DE was derived for the maxima even though there is a version of it in the pathfinder. Just because the engine is shared with different models doesn't make it any less impressive, it just goes to show it's a very versatile engine.

And as far as a '96 honda accord having a better interior than a 2002 Maxima, dream on buddy!!!
Old 07-15-2002, 06:49 AM
S2kRob

Originally posted by TwinTurboZX
OK skRob maybe you should brush up on your Nissan engines cause the VQ35DE was derived for the maxima even though there is a version of it in the pathfinder. Just because the engine is shared with different models doesn't make it any less impressive, it just goes to show it's a very versatile engine.

And as far as a '96 honda accord having a better interior than a 2002 Maxima, dream on buddy!!!
Fair enough, I though that a smaller displacement VQ engine first debuted in their line of trucks and then made it's way to their passenger cars.

Regardless, the VQ engine is certainly not race derived. That's not to say that it isn't a bad engine, it's a damn good engine, but you won't ever see 120hp/l naturally aspirated from it.

As for the interior comment, I don't know what you're talking about. I've never been in either car and don't plan to anytime soon.
Old 07-15-2002, 07:15 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by S2kRob

Regardless, the VQ engine is certainly not race derived. That's not to say that it isn't a bad engine, it's a damn good engine, but you won't ever see 120hp/l naturally aspirated from it.

You would be surprised. There is a 3.0L VQ Maxima making 330 + hp NA (all engine). I would love to get more information on this mater for you if you like. Don’t underestimate modern engineering. While it is only a mere 110 hp/liter and not factory built, I bet it can do better. Honda is not the only ones who can tune an engine.
Old 07-15-2002, 07:06 PM
Infiniti-WTO

Default 3.0VQ

Actually the VQ engine was a race derived engine for a series that never took of in europe. So what nissan did since they didn't want to wste all the R&D cost they had endured they brought it to america and put it into the Max. And no it wasn't in a truck first Robs2k. And there is a 400hp in the AMLS that dominates its class SRPII. And if my memory serves me correctly it has finished in the top 5 overall in every race. Oh and i think the engine is tuned by nissan then given to the racing teams who mate it to their respective chassis. Not to mention the new VQ 3.0TT that Nissan is using in japan to replcae the RB2.6 they had in the racing series. it has like 526 Hp and 575TQ, and tehy said there is plenty of room to go.
Old 07-15-2002, 08:05 PM
Gravitom

hmm, If the s2000 if a built up Civic wouldn't the Z be a built up Altima or better yet, a built up Pathfinder.

People, get your head out of your asses and realize the the Z is not the greatest car in the world. I like it a lot and plan on buying one but I can like a car and not become delusional at the same time. There are some people here who really know a lot about cars and you should listen to them and not quote stats out of road and track like you know what you are talking about.

At least it isn't as bad as http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t32618.html where everyone is viciousy arguing over the 350z vs. the RX8. Two cars nobody has driven yet, absolute genius.

Last edited by Gravitom; 07-15-2002 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-15-2002, 08:56 PM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Gravitom

People, get your head out of your asses and realize the the Z is not the greatest car in the world.
What? You mean . . . ? Wait, I never got that memo. I don't believe it. It cant be true.
Old 07-15-2002, 10:39 PM
NissaNZ

Originally posted by Gravitom
hmm, If the s2000 if a built up Civic wouldn't the Z be a built up Altima or better yet, a built up Pathfinder.

People, get your head out of your asses and realize the the Z is not the greatest car in the world.
Maybe honda people should get their heads out of their asses and stop thinking that their under powered scooters are the sh|t.

BTW nobody said the 350Z was the best sports car in the world, but it sure as hell is gonna kick the sh|t out of the s2000.
Old 07-15-2002, 11:26 PM
S2kRob

Maybe honda people should get their heads out of their asses and stop thinking that their under powered scooters are the sh|t.

BTW nobody said the 350Z was the best sports car in the world, but it sure as hell is gonna kick the sh|t out of the s2000.
Maybe. But not nearly as bad as a Supra would whip your twin turbo's ***.
Old 07-15-2002, 11:30 PM
Goober
Charter Member #57

Oh, yeah, well not as bad as......uh!

Knock it off guys, there is always something better out there.
Old 07-15-2002, 11:53 PM
max2000jp

Fair enough, I though that a smaller displacement VQ engine first debuted in their line of trucks and then made it's way to their passenger cars.

As for the interior comment, I don't know what you're talking about. I've never been in either car and don't plan to anytime soon.
Why does everyone always brag about the 120hp a liter figure. It is a nice number, but any car big car manufacturer can do the same. Honda always brags about their hp/l, but seems to forget the number that really counts in performance and that is tq. Nobody ever brags about the tq/l of the S2k.

As for the S2k vs 350z rivalry. I am confident enought to say that the Z is faster in the straights, but on an Auto-X course Id say the S2k has an advanage. The Z will be faster than the C&D times people are quoting as ammo against the Z. Once the Z is out and people take them to the tracks sub 14s 1/4 numbers will show up pretty easily. Just look at what the Altima/Maxima is doing at the track and compare it to "mag times".
Old 07-16-2002, 12:54 AM
S2kRob

torque per liter of the S2000 is right up there with all the top cars. BMW M3, Ferrari 360 Modena, you name it, they all have around 75 ft-lb per liter, which appears to be the current limit for production vehicles. But it will go higher.

I don't see what the big rivalry is either. Who cares.
Old 07-16-2002, 01:54 AM
john0213

man~let's stop the flame~ and i really think u should keep calm for a second s2krob, if it's a great car u don't have to argue~ i mean it is a great car and also this is a z board, u try to put ur car up and make the z down will really mess things up u know.

so ppl just keep cool for a second, we want to have a nice discussion, not trying to bring jay to come and delete the whole post.
Old 07-16-2002, 05:29 AM
NissaNZ

Maybe. But not nearly as bad as a Supra would whip your twin turbo's ***.
I never said anything about a supra, don't chagne the subject at hand and don't be so sure a supra will "kick my twin turbo's ***". Maybe s2kRob needs to go over to clubsi or some other honda forum so they can talk about their rice bowls all day long.

I bet this guy's just a loner 16 yr. old kid with a civic (rice) who fantasizes about having a s2000 (expensive rice) and comes to a NISSAN board to stir things up, get a life.

***Honda = NO TORQUE = BORING = RICE***
Old 07-16-2002, 05:58 AM
tbcz

Ummm...recess is over children. Either play nice or go stand against the wall.
Old 07-16-2002, 08:10 AM
S2kRob

I never said anything about a supra, don't chagne the subject at hand and don't be so sure a supra will "kick my twin turbo's ***". Maybe s2kRob needs to go over to clubsi or some other honda forum so they can talk about their rice bowls all day long.

I bet this guy's just a loner 16 yr. old kid with a civic (rice) who fantasizes about having a s2000 (expensive rice) and comes to a NISSAN board to stir things up, get a life.

***Honda = NO TORQUE = BORING = RICE***
I'll take that bet. How about for title? I provide legal documentation from the Ontario Ministry of Transportation that I own an S2000, and you give me title to your car. I, of course, will have it notarized if you wish, and can provide a support letter from my insurance company stating the cars they have me insured for. Photographic proof will also be made available. I've always wanted a 300ZX TT. This seems the cheapest and easiest way to get one. BTW, I'm quoting you for my new signature. I enjoy your witless and trite retorts. Keep up the entertaining work.

Last edited by S2kRob; 07-16-2002 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-16-2002, 08:34 AM
BrianZ

Angry

Woah, woah, woah!

Stop it!
Old 07-16-2002, 08:46 AM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Originally posted by Ladypod

As one of your "middle-aged ladies" I take exception to that statement. I have a Miata, and drive it hard, and enjoy it a lot. I hope to do the same with my Z. I know plenty of guys who have fancy sports car, including Lexus and Mercedes, who have no idea what they're really driving, but want them because they are cool looking. Don't put us ladies down.
Sorry for the misunderstanding: I was not implying that all ladies do this, I was only talking about those that do. I personally know of someone who has an S2000 and has NO CLUE how to use that engine and has probably never experienced 20% of its power. I think it's a real shame, that's all. I know there are many ladies (like my wife!) who would get every ounce of performance out of it and enjoy it like it was meant to be used. It sounds like you are one of those as well -- you will have great fun in your new Z!

Quick Reply: 350Z vs S2k