Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Ebay Trustworthy??

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 05:39 PM
slambball88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay Trustworthy??

If you guys found a good deal on a Z on Ebay... would you guys purchase it or no...

just wondering cuz there are many of you in this forum that know a lot more than i do

thnx for your help..
Old 09-24-2006, 05:49 PM
KAK's350

NO dont trust that sh!+
Old 09-24-2006, 05:50 PM
bofa

I usually limit my purchases to $2000 or less without seeing the item in person first. The only exception I ever made was a 2003 Kawasai ZX6R that I picked up on eBay at an awesome deal ($5500). I rode it for a year, it had no problems and I turned a $1000 profit on it a year later.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:02 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends on what you want to buy. I buy and sell on ebay all the time with no problems in my several years of using it.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:07 PM
stein

Most I've spent on a ebay item was $400, and it ended up getting lost in the mail. As for a car, I'd have to live close by so that I could see it and maybe drive it. Too many a holes on ebay anymore.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:13 PM
EJ1All-Star

yah a z would be a lot of money too spend on ebay, my uncle bought a 4 wheeler and drove to CA too get it, motor blew up a week later
Old 09-24-2006, 06:19 PM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

For me, it depends on the listing itself. If the seller will talk to you on the phone, email you often, send you more pics if requested, and bend over backwords for the buyer, it's probably legit. I bought my Evo off ebay for $26k, sight unseen, and 1800 miles away. Smooth transaction and worth every penny.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:02 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes. However I would not bid on a car unless I drove it.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Casanova

^^^ What he said!
Old 09-24-2006, 08:16 PM
JhayRCruz

id check the Z personally if it wasnt too far away if the price is too good to pass up.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:38 PM
Marbleshade

Ebay has fraud protection up to $20,000 if I remember correctly. I found my Z on ebay (dealership had it up) and then just called the dealership and made an offer lower than they had the buyout price for.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:34 AM
slambball88

hmm i suppose it'd be a bad idea to buy an item so expensive on Ebay.

well thnx for your input guys...

Old 09-25-2006, 05:46 AM
Vicynax

Originally Posted by slambball88
If you guys found a good deal on a Z on Ebay... would you guys purchase it or no...

just wondering cuz there are many of you in this forum that know a lot more than i do

thnx for your help..
Look at feedbacks, examine the ads. What you should be afraid of are counterfeits, not really getting scammed out of money if you do the two above. I've done over 2000 transaction currently and have yet to encounter a bad buyer/seller. Or just look for one near your area so you can drive it and check it out. I'll personally do that instead of buying one from some other state, unless it's a brand new Z.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:24 AM
NewJerZ

I've been buying and selling on eBay since 2001 and have had only 2 problems:

Some dumbass scamming people with XBox's ...taking the money and not shipping the product (recovered my money from Paypal, thankfully).

The 2nd time, I was the dumbass....bought a '85 300Z Turbo with 77K miles for $350.00 and actually believed the B.S. that seller said about the car only needing minor work to get it up and running again...The car had serious electrical and engine problems, so bad that the mechanic couldn't resurrect this Z from the dead...Had to donate the damn thing to a charity

Bottom Line: Check the seller feedback throughly and avoid them like the plague if they've had a lot of recent negative feedback and preferably use eBay Power Sellers and others with lots of positive feedback (200+ rating).

I wouldn't say to avoid new sellers ( i.e. 1 or 2 positive feedbacks) because I was an eBay newbie once and someone had to trust me, so I do the same in return

Paypal (which is NOW owned by eBay) is your best friend....If you don't have a PayPal acct, get one. If you EVER run into a scammer, just file a fraud claim with Paypal/eBay and they will hunt the seller down, get your money back and in many cases, strip the scammer of their eBay account altogether, which is exactly what happened in the Xbox situation I described above!

eBay is an excellent place to search for hard to find items and to save a ton of money in general.

Last edited by NewJerZ; 09-25-2006 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:43 AM
slambball88

Originally Posted by NewJerZ
I've been buying and selling on eBay since 2001 and have had only 2 problems:

Some dumbass scamming people with XBox's ...taking the money and not shipping the product (recovered my money from Paypal, thankfully).

The 2nd time, I was the dumbass....bought a '85 300Z Turbo with 77K miles for $350.00 and actually believed the B.S. that seller said about the car only needing minor work to get it up and running again...The car had serious electrical and engine problems, so bad that the mechanic couldn't resurrect this Z from the dead...Had to donate the damn thing to a charity

Bottom Line: Check the seller feedback throughly and avoid them like the plague if they've had a lot of recent negative feedback and preferably use eBay Power Sellers and other with lots of positive feedback (200+ rating).

I wouldn't say to avoid new sellers ( i.e. 1 or 2 positive feedbacks) because I was an eBay newbie once and someone had to trust me, so I do the same in return

Paypal (which is NOW owned by eBay) is your best friend....If you don't have a PayPal acct, get one. If you EVER run into a scammer, just file a fraud claim with Paypal/eBay and they will hunt the seller down, get your money back and in many cases, strip the scammer of their eBay account altogether, which is exactly what happened in the Xbox situation I described above!

eBay is an excellent place to search for hard to find items and to save a ton of money in general.
thnx for your input, in most ways the info could really be useful to me...

but i dont think that Ebay will return my money for an item thats worth $20k++ or would they??
Old 09-25-2006, 07:56 AM
NewJerZ

UNFORTUNATELY, THE ANSWER IS NO!

Protection Policies - PayPal Buyer Protection

Will PayPal Buyer Protection cover all eBay categories?

eBay Motors parts and accessories will be covered, however, motor vehicles (cars, boats, planes), Live Auctions and the Mature Audiences category will not be covered. Sellers cannot indicate PayPal as a payment method during the Live Auctions or the Mature Audiences category listing process and therefore those listings will not be eligible.

HERE'S WHAT THEIR POLICY STATES:

Protection Policies - PayPal Buyer Protection - Buyers

How does PayPal protect me?

PayPal offers a unique combination of protection programs.
PayPal's industry-leading fraud prevention measures and our one-of-a-kind method of keeping your financial information private from sellers make us a safe way to pay online.
When you make a payment using PayPal, your financial information is never shared with the seller.
PayPal's Resolution Center and PayPal Buyer Protection are available to help ensure that you are satisfied with the transaction.
Full protection against unauthorized payments sent from your account.
Dispute resolution on PayPal purchases through the Buyer Complaint Process.
Free purchase protection up to $1,000.00 USD on items eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection. Purchases made on eBay Express receive full protection coverage at no additional cost and unlimited claim payouts on damaged items or orders that were not received.

BOTTOM LINE: ANYTHING THAT COSTS MORE THAN $1,000, YOU'RE TAKING A CHANCE ON GETTING IT BACK, IF FRAUD IS INVOLVED

Last edited by NewJerZ; 09-25-2006 at 08:00 AM.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:12 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

all solved... bascially if you buying somethign new the main thing you want to fint out is the max price, and the whole sale value of an item.. that way you know when you found a deal....otherwise you could be buying the wrong item
ALSO MAKE SURE YOU READ well the description... sometimes they hide sheat in there
Old 09-25-2006, 09:12 AM
GSXR-Z

I have bought over 10k in stuff off of ebay in the past 5 years or so. I bought my 05 GSX-R 600, a 4.6 SOCH engine for my Stang, and a bunch of other stuff. I agree that you MUST research before any major purchase especially when buying something used off a site such as ebay. Also, ask all the questions that you can in email, better if you have it in writing just in case.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:32 AM
merlot350Z

BUYER BEWARE! There are honest people selling and dishonest people selling so you need to look at the feedback comments very carefully. Some of the comments are fake and put it by the seller or his friends, ive found that out for sure. Ebay itself is just a business, very impersonal, and they are only interested in making money. PayPal is a pain in the butt to get your money out of if you sell over $500 worth in a month. They want a direct path into your bank account which is always dangerous in this E world. I bought an Audi sort of thru Ebay. I bid it up as high bidder 3 times and the seller had a higher minimum. I got on the phone with them and after 15 minutes of chatting we agreed to my highest bid price. The car is great with one minor problem. In buying cars I would look at carfax very carefully and get some history on the car. One big question is did the car spend any time in areas of the country that have had recent floods, like Houston, New Orleans, Kentucky, etc. Dont buy a flood car under any circumstances. After buying and selling on Ebay for over 5 years I just say....Buyer Beware.

Quick Reply: Ebay Trustworthy??