Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Z #1 on "Nordschleife"

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 12:28 AM
Boresi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z #1 on "Nordschleife"

The US version that is hehe... according to C&D. I'm sure some of you have seen it but Nov issue has an interesting article where it likens the Virginia Int'l Raceway as the Nordschleife of North America as a measuring stick of car's performance, noting its long 4.2mi length with similar turns and elevation changes. They intend to test all performance oriented machines on this track, as a mean to rank their performance.

In this article, they tested 17 cars that were categorized into one of 5 classes based on price. Z fell into class under $30K and came in first in it, with time of 3:12.5. What's surprising is that it beat the Evo MR by a sec, followed by RX-8, Cobolt SS, Stang GT, GTI, Civic Si, and MX-5 being last. Fastest overall was Ford GT at 3:00.7, with C6 Z06 close 2nd at 3:01.1. It looks like 3:00 is the benchmark for this track, like 8:00 is at the Ring.

I think this is a great idea for them to do this. This would the most meaningful stat when evaluating a car IMO. I agree with the article that in order to demonstrate a car's true overall performance, it needs to be driven around a track, not run 0-60 or 1/4, skidpad, or 70-0. And it's good to know that Z holds up pretty well in its class. But I'm curious to see some others, like M3, G35, S2000, or Sti.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:26 AM
steven88

the EVO MR lost to the Z??? i'm not an expert of of either car...but I know the EVO MR IX beats the fairlady Z @ the tsukuba circuit by like 3 full seconds...even the earlier models, like the VIII and VII EVOs were about 2 seconds faster than the fairlady Z...

comments?
Old 10-01-2006, 01:56 AM
mavtais

Awe man! My subscription to C&D just ran out! I'll have to pay newsstand price for this issue. Definitely want to read up on this article.
Steven^, The EVO in the U.S. does not have the most important go-fast additive: AYC. So it is plausible that the Z is faster than the MR for 2006, especially if they tested with a track model 350Z (which is equivalent to JDM Fairlady Z). Everybody in Japan is running 18/19" wheel setup on their modified 03-05's... guess what, they do it because it works.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:05 AM
steven88

Originally Posted by mavtais
Awe man! My subscription to C&D just ran out! I'll have to pay newsstand price for this issue. Definitely want to read up on this article.
Steven^, The EVO in the U.S. does not have the most important go-fast additive: AYC. So it is plausible that the Z is faster than the MR for 2006, especially if they tested with a track model 350Z (which is equivalent to JDM Fairlady Z). Everybody in Japan is running 18/19" wheel setup on their modified 03-05's... guess what, they do it because it works.
thanks for the clarification! like i said earlier, i'm no expert...just going by what i see on best motoring...hehe
Old 10-01-2006, 02:13 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the Z tested was considered at $30k or less, per the OP, it was not a Track model.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:21 AM
Demon Z

Originally Posted by Armitage
If the Z tested was considered at $30k or less, per the OP, it was not a Track model.
They made the determination by model base price, apparently they treat different models as options (i.e., Track, Evo MR, ect.)
Old 10-01-2006, 06:59 AM
Winchm60

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's pretty cool
Old 10-01-2006, 07:32 AM
ZPirate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Boresi
The US version that is hehe... according to C&D. I'm sure some of you have seen it but Nov issue has an interesting article where it likens the Virginia Int'l Raceway as the Nordschleife of North America as a measuring stick of car's performance, noting its long 4.2mi length with similar turns and elevation changes. They intend to test all performance oriented machines on this track, as a mean to rank their performance.

In this article, they tested 17 cars that were categorized into one of 5 classes based on price. Z fell into class under $30K and came in first in it, with time of 3:12.5. What's surprising is that it beat the Evo MR by a sec, followed by RX-8, Cobolt SS, Stang GT, GTI, Civic Si, and MX-5 being last. Fastest overall was Ford GT at 3:00.7, with C6 Z06 close 2nd at 3:01.1. It looks like 3:00 is the benchmark for this track, like 8:00 is at the Ring.

I think this is a great idea for them to do this. This would the most meaningful stat when evaluating a car IMO. I agree with the article that in order to demonstrate a car's true overall performance, it needs to be driven around a track, not run 0-60 or 1/4, skidpad, or 70-0. And it's good to know that Z holds up pretty well in its class. But I'm curious to see some others, like M3, G35, S2000, or Sti.
According to the article the VIR lap time on the entire 4.2 mile course is going to become a new benchmark for performance cars that Car and Driver tests from now on. They plan on testing at VIR twice a year and to add a car's lap time to a car performance numbers like 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. I think it is a great idea because a lap at VIR is a true test of a car's overall performance. I am surprised it has taken a car magazine this long to come up with something like this.

As far as the Z goes it did well. This was due in part to its overall performance and its linear NA power. I was surprised that C&D did not test a S2000. I suspect it will do well at VIR. I was somewhat surprised that the Z beat the Mustang GT by 8.3 seconds. Then again the Mustang, in stock form, doesn't handle or brake near as good as the Z.

If you haven't been there VIR is a great road course in the rolling hills of southern Virginia. It has become very popular in recent years not only with car enthusiasts, but also with car magazines and automobile manufacturers. Chevrolet introduced the new Corvette to the media there. Some of the North Carolia Z clubs have track events there.

On another note, when Grand Turismo 4 came out I was hoping VIR would be one of the tracks but it wasn't. Hopefully it will be on the next version.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:59 AM
tekk

does anyone have any info on the track? like maps, any notes on what kinds of cars have advantages, etc?
Old 10-01-2006, 08:02 AM
ZPirate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tekk
does anyone have any info on the track? like maps, any notes on what kinds of cars have advantages, etc?
Try www.virclub.com

Here are the course maps http://www.virclub.com/guide/course_maps.htm
Old 10-01-2006, 08:12 AM
tekk

thanks