Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Canadian 350Z owners who have US Versions of the 35Z

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 07:56 PM
Adibese

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate Canada. People here are selling turboed new cars for the same price as a regular old one here. With 17 percent tax here, a new 350 will be 60, easy. That would be 52 thou US. A new Z06 here is around 100 grand. So, around 87-90 thou US.

Such BS. And our wages are lower too.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:24 PM
mariner2004

Dude it's not Canada... It's the damn manufacturers... the reason why there's a huge price discrepancy in the US vs. Canada has nothing to do with the country. It's basic economics.. Here are the reasons:

1) The Canadian exchange rate has been very strong in the past few years.. Manufacturers(all of them not just Nissan) have not adjusted the prices which they sell the cars at... A few years back the exchange rate was 1.5 CDN dollars to 1 USD. Today it's 1.12CDN dollars to 1 USD...

2) The most important reason the manufacturers charge more in Canada is... they can get away with it... Canada is a much smaller market and thus the competition and competitive pressures are not as strong... Canada as a whole has less people and produces less GDP/GNP than the state of California. Manufacturers make less per car that they sell in the US but make more money in the end due to the sheer number(population) of the US. A easy example is....Take a look at what a corner store(analagous to Canada) can charge for a chocolate bar... and take a look at what a huge franchise like Walmart(analogous to the United States) will charge for the same chocolate bar... WalMart makes less per chocolate bar than a corner store but the volume of chocolate bars that they sell and the number of people shopping there allows them to make more money in the end.

Last edited by mariner2004; 10-10-2006 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:05 PM
Reality350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^+1

R350z
Old 11-23-2006, 03:47 PM
emtae

Originally Posted by mariner2004
please help...

I just exported a 2006 350Z into canada and now have to go get the federal and provincial inspections done... NO ONE seems to know anything about the daytime running light conversions..

Some Nissan dealers tell me the dont' do it...

I am getting different stories from Canadian Tire...They are telling me it will cost $450+ and higher depending on how long it takes them to do the work.. When i asked further the guy tells me it's a relay they put in to keep the lights on during the day.. I told him a proper installation should have it so that they HID lights come on at a VERY low intensity so as to not burn them out quickly... HE had no clue...... Another Canadian tire dealer told me they could wire it so that the marker lights come on and that would satisfy the requirements for daytime running and they would charge $350+.. Another Canadian tire dealer said they don't do that and that i would have to call a nissan dealer to get the work done..

What the heck is going on.... all this inconsistent info and different prices...

PLEASE HELP... so frustrated....
I bought an 04 Touring. I went to Canadian tire and bought a $50 part that was told would work. Then after more reading I found it wouldn't. Took my car to the dealership. They told me about $300. Left it with them. They said they had installed the day time running lights on a few other cars but never a Z. Phone call later that day. They said it can't be done. Was told I could buy some Canadian head lights for around $2,200. F$#^ that. I had them install two very small oval fog lights in the grille. They wired them to come on with the ignition and also installed a switch by the battery to shut them off. After the vehicle passed inspection I removed them. If anyone in the US wonders why we would buy from US and bring it into Canada it's all about the $$$$. I saved about $7,000 on mine. And that was when our dollar was worth less than it is now. I will probably never buy another car in Canada.
Another example. An 03 H2 here is about $43,000. You can get one in California for about $25,000

Last edited by emtae; 11-23-2006 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:18 AM
dkorr

... best thing to do is to purchase the Z in Canada. it might be a little more but you'll avoid all the hassle of DRL an speedometer conversion. i bought my Z new for $26,000US, which, the last time i checked the exchange rate, is prolly $29,000CDN...that's not too bad... its worth the xtra $3,000 to avoid autobroker, customs, tax ,etc...
Old 11-24-2006, 10:36 AM
emtae

Originally Posted by dkorr
... best thing to do is to purchase the Z in Canada. it might be a little more but you'll avoid all the hassle of DRL an speedometer conversion. i bought my Z new for $26,000US, which, the last time i checked the exchange rate, is prolly $29,000CDN...that's not too bad... its worth the xtra $3,000 to avoid autobroker, customs, tax ,etc...
For the small amount of hassle I went through it was well worth saving $7,000. I would even do it to save $3,000. There is no need to change the speedo. It is in MPH large and KPH small.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:03 PM
240Zplus110

Originally Posted by dkorr
You just don't get it do you? Car price is not based on exchange rate between US$ and CDN$.. it is based on market demand value.

In case you missed it, a 2006 350Z sells for about CDN$48,000 -- they do not sell a Base Model, an Enthusiast Model, or a Track Model. We cannot buy an "entry level" Z in Canada... period!! Only models we have access to in Canadian market is "Performance" and Performance with "Grand Touring" option -- which adds about $4k to price.

Another issue you probably don't know about is the FACT that Nissan Canada will NOT honour the warrranty of a US purchased vehicle.. unless is has been registered for at least 6 months in the US before being imported to Canada. This policy was brought into effect about May of this year, primarily to curb the increase of US imports into Canada.

If you have never been through the process, like I have, then the information you presented has no basis in reality.

Oh.. btw... we don't need to do a speedo conversion since the gauge is dual reading.

Last edited by 240Zplus110; 11-24-2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:08 PM
240Zplus110

If anyone is doing a DRL conversion in Vancouver area I can suggest a better alternative to Canadian Tire.

The shop I used will do the conversion and Federal and Provincial inspections as well. My total cost including GST was $325 for the DRL conversion and both inspections.

Considering I saved about $8k (after all duties, taxes and fees were paid) by purchasing in US... it was well worth it.

Last edited by 240Zplus110; 11-24-2006 at 12:14 PM.