2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Canadian 350Z owners who have US Versions of the 35Z

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 02:41 PM
mariner2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canadian 350Z owners who have US Versions of the 35Z

please help...

I just exported a 2006 350Z into canada and now have to go get the federal and provincial inspections done... NO ONE seems to know anything about the daytime running light conversions..

Some Nissan dealers tell me the dont' do it...

I am getting different stories from Canadian Tire...They are telling me it will cost $450+ and higher depending on how long it takes them to do the work.. When i asked further the guy tells me it's a relay they put in to keep the lights on during the day.. I told him a proper installation should have it so that they HID lights come on at a VERY low intensity so as to not burn them out quickly... HE had no clue...... Another Canadian tire dealer told me they could wire it so that the marker lights come on and that would satisfy the requirements for daytime running and they would charge $350+.. Another Canadian tire dealer said they don't do that and that i would have to call a nissan dealer to get the work done..

What the heck is going on.... all this inconsistent info and different prices...

PLEASE HELP... so frustrated....
Old 10-06-2006, 02:58 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you think that regional topics might be better in the regional forum?
Old 10-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Adibese

Originally Posted by mariner2004
please help...

I just exported a 2006 350Z into canada and now have to go get the federal and provincial inspections done... NO ONE seems to know anything about the daytime running light conversions..

Some Nissan dealers tell me the dont' do it...

I am getting different stories from Canadian Tire...They are telling me it will cost $450+ and higher depending on how long it takes them to do the work.. When i asked further the guy tells me it's a relay they put in to keep the lights on during the day.. I told him a proper installation should have it so that they HID lights come on at a VERY low intensity so as to not burn them out quickly... HE had no clue...... Another Canadian tire dealer told me they could wire it so that the marker lights come on and that would satisfy the requirements for daytime running and they would charge $350+.. Another Canadian tire dealer said they don't do that and that i would have to call a nissan dealer to get the work done..

What the heck is going on.... all this inconsistent info and different prices...

PLEASE HELP... so frustrated....

Don't go to Canadian Tire for any real work. They have a monopoly on inspections, so just let them do that.

Ask Morrey Nissan in Burnaby. They treat me well.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:18 PM
babadudu

How much did it cost you to do the inspections ? and what kind of inspections do they do ? I am just wondering, cuz everytime i go to morrey cuz of some problems, it always turns out to be "We cannot locate the problem, everything is Great"... when that was obviously not the case.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Bananax

I don't know how much it cost to do the inspection, but if I remember right, a friend of mine had her accord converted to day time light for about $300.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:38 PM
240Zplus110

PM me and I'll contact you with details... I imported my 2006 in May and had the DRL's done to meet federal & provincial inspections.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:39 PM
240Zplus110

Originally Posted by babadudu
How much did it cost you to do the inspections ? and what kind of inspections do they do ? I am just wondering, cuz everytime i go to morrey cuz of some problems, it always turns out to be "We cannot locate the problem, everything is Great"... when that was obviously not the case.
I could have warned you about Morrey... me and my neighbor and my neighbors brother, etc... all had warranty and other issues with them -- all of us would never buy from them again.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:44 PM
240Zplus110

Originally Posted by Adibese
Don't go to Canadian Tire for any real work. They have a monopoly on inspections, so just let them do that.
Wrong... I know of two other places to get inspections done

Originally Posted by Adibese
Ask Morrey Nissan in Burnaby. They treat me well.
Morrey has another shop do their DRL conversions and then take their cut. They won't tell you who does the work so you can't go direct.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:05 PM
babadudu

Originally Posted by 240Zplus110
I could have warned you about Morrey... me and my neighbor and my neighbors brother, etc... all had warranty and other issues with them -- all of us would never buy from them again.

Me neither, but their service department is the cloest to my place, I have really no idea whereelse to go for the service, and since the service & sales are in different department...so i guess i could give it a shot. however, some of the representitives aren't helpful at all, ... guess I will need to throw a TSB at their face everytime i got a problem for them to fix it.

So i was just thinking about getting my car checked up by some shop , maybe canadian tires and get a report from them to get my car fixed ...
Old 10-07-2006, 09:57 PM
Adibese

Originally Posted by babadudu

morrey burnaby? is there a better place to go for service in van?
Old 10-08-2006, 03:41 AM
cpanagio

They wired mine so the marker lights come on. I believe they charged me around $250 or $300 for the DRL's and Safety included. This was at Canadian Tire.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:52 PM
striker27

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently purchased a 2003 350z from the US. I am located in Ontario but I do not have DRL's on my car. It wasnt needed for the safety. I really do not think it would be all that hard to get them working if u had to do it.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:50 PM
mariner2004

just had mine done at Canadian tire a few days back.. I HATE dealing with Canadian tire... they are all idiots there... their prices change from location to location and they always try to rip you off....They pay their mechanics based on an hourly rate.. when you need something done, they ask the mechanic how long it takes.. obviously, the longer the mechanic quotes, the more money he makes...

I had no choice since I called a few local nissan dealers and they told me they won't do the conversion... 1 quoted me like $500 just for the parts and would charge me for the labour on top of it... crazy...

Canadian tire did it for me for $250 but tried to jack up the price after the work was done.. I made a big stink and they went back on their original verbal quote... Anyhow.. It's the side light bulbs which are hardly even noticeable.. I didn't want the HIDs to be the daytime running lights since that would burn them out sooner...
Old 10-09-2006, 09:10 PM
dkorr

why go through all the trouble? dont they sell Z's up there?
Old 10-09-2006, 09:45 PM
cpanagio

Originally Posted by dkorr
why go through all the trouble? dont they sell Z's up there?
If you can find a good deal in the U.S. the savings are HUGE, even after paying to import them. You wont find an '03 with decent miles here for under 30.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:18 PM
iwant_Z

LOL... canadian tires.. i avoid going there for anything, in fact i wont even let them touch my car, i rather pay more to get it properly done, people there dont kno s*** f***ing nubs.. i only go there to buy car wash stuff

btw i know a place they do DRL for $100 if your in ontario
Old 10-09-2006, 10:36 PM
dkorr

Originally Posted by cpanagio
If you can find a good deal in the U.S. the savings are HUGE, even after paying to import them. You wont find an '03 with decent miles here for under 30.
last i checked a brand new '06 Enthusiast is $29,300.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:30 PM
striker27

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell that is a great price!!! I was looking at a new 06 here at the dealer and the sticker was somewhere near 50 thousand cdn. For that price I would even buy two and I would be able to start my very own driving school!!!
Old 10-10-2006, 05:43 PM
dkorr

Originally Posted by striker27
Hell that is a great price!!! I was looking at a new 06 here at the dealer and the sticker was somewhere near 50 thousand cdn. For that price I would even buy two and I would be able to start my very own driving school!!!
you just gotta shop around thats all. nissan purposely targeted the Z to be under $30K entry price - which is why its so popular. http://www.autobase.com/cgi/info.exe?bc=2539622

Last edited by dkorr; 10-10-2006 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:42 PM
240Zplus110

Originally Posted by dkorr
you just gotta shop around thats all. nissan purposely targeted the Z to be under $30K entry price - which is why its so popular. http://www.autobase.com/cgi/info.exe?bc=2539622
hellloooooooooo.... We are talking about Canada Z's --- you cannot find a new '06 for less than $48K.... the reason..... they don't sell lower trim levels in Canada. The only Z we can buy is a loaded Performance... or for about $4K more you can get the "Grand Touring package". So guess why we Canadians shop for Z's in the US...

In Canada, a used 2004 Z sells for $35-38K.. a used 2003 sells for $29-32K --- want proof... check out out local Buy & Sell auto site.

It's gotten to the point that local dealers are importing them and selling them on their lots... making aobut $6-8K in the process --- not bad for a used car (for the dealer that is)

Last edited by 240Zplus110; 10-10-2006 at 07:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Canadian 350Z owners who have US Versions of the 35Z