Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Your Top 5 Cost Effective Performance Mods.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 05:36 PM
scottone928

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1 ) popcharger
2 ) spacer
3 ) exhaust
4 ) springs
5 ) ecu reflash
Old 10-23-2006, 07:02 AM
DanielW
Banned

thanks scott. Would i benefit more from a utec than a reflash?
Old 10-23-2006, 09:39 AM
shortbus1981

If you are looking for relatively inexpensive mods for power, the best thing to do is help your Z breathe better. Meaning some form of cold air intake, replacement plenum such as a Crawford, or even more cost effective a good Motordyne plenum spacer would be the best bet, then a full cat back exhaust. Some people run aftermarket headers, however I have heard conflicting info on their advantages on our cars. Test pipes are nice too but they make the car loud as hell. I personally have the K&N intake and Nismo exhaust. Im working on getting a Motordyne 5/16 plenum spacer. So, to reiterate, here's what I recommend.

#1 Cold Air Intake (on average $250-$300 for a good one)
#2 Plenum Spacer (Motordyne 5/16 $265)
#3 Cat-back Exhaust System (wide range of prices from about $700 all the way up to $2,000 or more)

To give you an idea of what power increases you could get from this I’ve broken it down with specific examples.

Nismo exhaust ($1200) about 12HP at the crank or so (6.5 at the wheels)
Injen SP1986 intake ($300 or so) a max of 17HP at the crank
Motordyne 5/16 spacer ($265) a max of 13HP at the crank.

So for about $1700 you can get about 42 or more HP out of the car. That’s about $40 per horsepower.

For a comparison a Vortech s/c kit is about $5500 and gives you a max of 125 additional horsepower. Thats about $44 per horsepower.

Last edited by shortbus1981; 10-23-2006 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:34 AM
medic165

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so, is it safe to say i have at least 300hp with my Injen CAI?
Old 10-24-2006, 08:40 AM
DanielW
Banned

thanks shortbus but where are you getting those numbers from? they seem a little high even for the crank. Especially the intake.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:19 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by danielwebb
PLEASE DON'T REPLY WITH THE SEARCH S**T ANYMORE. I don't have time to sit here and reas through three years of threads like some of you folks. If the search function was better I would be able to use it more effectively but as I've stated before it is not very effective. You can't even get a title with two words that you want in it.

The search function is terrible.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:20 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by danielwebb
I've heard bad things about synthetic oil concerning oil consumption. anybody have any input on this?

My first change used just conventional. Then I went through nearly all of it in 3000 miles. I am on Synthetic now and will shortly see what the results are. I am approaching the 1000 mile mark since the changeover.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:31 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by lobotomy
wow you guys are asses, you can't just answer the questions you have to try and be special and say something cool a new....like "search"

Pretty pathetic when the moderator is losing his cool. He/She should be posting relevant links to threads.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:40 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by jtabraham

No one's trying to intentionally to be a *** to this guy, but it's pretty understood here that out of common courtesy, you should probably spend 5 minutes searching for your answer before starting a new thread about it. Now IF danielwebb had posted a string of new and innovative questions that had not been posed before in some way, shape or form, I would say good for him for trying to learn something about his car. The fact of the matter however is that the questions he has asked HAVE been answered...numerous times in fact over the past 4 years.

When people tell him to search, it's not rude...what's rude is ignoring the the suggestions of veteran users, and continuing to fill the forum with useless threads that could have been avoided had he spent a few moments of non-laziness to search.
I highly doubt people do not know how to search. Obviously, the search tool is not all that great. Now, it the time it took the ^%#@^#@*% to post all of this guys post, he could have done three things:

1) Given links to relevant posts
2) Answer the question
3) Just ignore the post
Old 10-24-2006, 10:53 AM
Brick-Z

Originally Posted by shortbus1981
If you are looking for relatively inexpensive mods for power, the best thing to do is help your Z breathe better. Meaning some form of cold air intake, replacement plenum such as a Crawford, or even more cost effective a good Motordyne plenum spacer would be the best bet, then a full cat back exhaust. Some people run aftermarket headers, however I have heard conflicting info on their advantages on our cars. Test pipes are nice too but they make the car loud as hell. I personally have the K&N intake and Nismo exhaust. Im working on getting a Motordyne 5/16 plenum spacer. So, to reiterate, here's what I recommend.

#1 Cold Air Intake (on average $250-$300 for a good one)
#2 Plenum Spacer (Motordyne 5/16 $265)
#3 Cat-back Exhaust System (wide range of prices from about $700 all the way up to $2,000 or more)

To give you an idea of what power increases you could get from this I’ve broken it down with specific examples.

Nismo exhaust ($1200) about 12HP at the crank or so (6.5 at the wheels)
Injen SP1986 intake ($300 or so) a max of 17HP at the crank
Motordyne 5/16 spacer ($265) a max of 13HP at the crank.

So for about $1700 you can get about 42 or more HP out of the car. That’s about $40 per horsepower.

For a comparison a Vortech s/c kit is about $5500 and gives you a max of 125 additional horsepower. Thats about $44 per horsepower.

Intake= 17hp
Old 10-24-2006, 11:08 AM
chimmike

Originally Posted by dbasal
Obviously, the search tool is not all that great.

the search tool is perfectly fine. The problem is the tool behind the computer who is too lazy to use it or use it correctly.

idiot.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:09 AM
chimmike

The search function is terrible.

no, you just suck at life. I'm sorry you don't know how to search using a couple different keywords.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:10 AM
jtabraham

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I highly doubt people do not know how to search. Obviously, the search tool is not all that great. Now, it the time it took the ^%#@^#@*% to post all of this guys post, he could have done three things:

1) Given links to relevant posts
2) Answer the question
3) Just ignore the post
With that idiotic reasoning, users would be holding noob's hands all day long from pure laziness. Yeah it sucks that non-premier members can't use boolean phrases to search, but most information you need is out there...you just need to spend a little time browsing.

The problem with guys like the OP is that they refuse to search, and pose questions that have been asked over and over. He complains that there are too many irrelevent links in all the sub-forums...that's definately true, but they are there because there are others like him that keep asking questions that have been answered dozens of times before and fill up our forum with worthless information. It's not a question of "if you spent the same time and energy, you could have anwered his question easily"...it's the point of trying to prevent this dude from doing the same thing over and over and over and over again. For example, just search for "popcharger" and you'll see about 11 pages of people asking the questions that have already been posed.

I swear it feels like some of you are like retarded little kids that keep touching the stove, knowing you'll get burned.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:16 AM
spracked

technically you are going to get more for your money with any kind of turbo. You can spend thousands on bolt on's and only achieve maybe 20whp. Dont waste money on them because you wont get much of a difference from stock. Save your money for awhile then go FI.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:29 AM
chimmike

To those idiots who said he shouldn't have to search, you're breaking a TOU rule:

7.) SEARCH FUNCTION
Please use the search function before posting or asking a question. It is a much more efficient and quicker way of getting your question answered. Another reason is to reduce the amount of duplicate posts and to conserve some server space.