2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

worst sunday...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 05:43 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default worst sunday...

today is the worst sunday. my mrev2 and spacer came friday so i was installing it today when i woke up. i was doing everything slowly as possible trying not to make a mistake reading the instructions carefully. i was doing everything well and then bamm this happened https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/223842-need-help-asap-im-about-to-cry.html
so im like f@!k. i decided to take it to a shop and tell them to replace it so no biggy. oh my freakin gosh after i installed everything i look over the instructions again i forgot to put the washer and the top spacer on so i take everything off again this time i take the spacer off so incase i go to dealer they wont jack it up. everything done and i turn on the engine and i hear a little clink and i check the engine. i see somke coming out and some green color liquid thing leaking. i turn off the car and call the nissan sales man cuz hes cool and told me to take everything out and put the original part back on. while i was putting it on i didnt eat the whole day, i was stressing and pissed and as i was putting the screws back on one of them droped somewhere and later another. so im like more f'd. well my car that i had for less then 6 months is going to be towed to the dealer. im hoping it comes out less then 2k.. my worst day of my 24yrs.. i sould of went to church then installed it. i feel so

what the green liquid that came out?? it was like water so is it the coolent

Last edited by myZter; 10-15-2006 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:57 PM
edwin350z

im sure its not that bad. i have broken bolts before a couple of times and once you take the lower part off you can see it and unscrew it downward with some pliars. i broke one of the inside ones when uninstalling the kinetix plenum (the ones that just seal the oem holes) it took me about 5 hours to get it out but i did it. just be patient and careful. **** happens
Old 10-15-2006, 06:00 PM
thirty5ounces

at least your still alive....
Old 10-15-2006, 06:13 PM
stein

Your wallet may be hurting but the car and you will be good to go. One of them days you should have just stayed in bed huh... GL
Old 10-15-2006, 06:14 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Each of us have a maintenence horror story. On a stupid scale of 1 to 10, yours rates about a 5. Any wrench guy here will tell that that the best tool is experience, and that we learn from our mistakes.

Best wishes.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:23 PM
HighwaySpeed

Question

Do the instructions mention using a torque wrench?
Old 10-15-2006, 06:25 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

thanks guys but i still feel f'd up man i just cant beleive it.

what do i tell the dealer tomorrow. i think the peice that broke off is still inside the engine..
Old 10-15-2006, 06:27 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

Originally Posted by HighwaySpeed
Do the instructions mention using a torque wrench?
i used did and it slipped off cuz i had noting to eat, i had back pain, stress, and worried about everything else.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:27 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by myZter
thanks guys but i still feel f'd up man i just cant beleive it.

what do i tell the dealer tomorrow. i think the peice that broke off is still inside the engine..
The truth is a good place to start.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:32 PM
LeMans 05

i used did and it slipped off cuz i had noting to eat, i had back pain, stress, and worried about everything else.
I've been wrenching on cars for a number of years now, and the #1 thing is, if you're getting tired or hungry, take a break. It always goes worse the more tired you get, because you'll forget things, rush things, and just not be as careful. So next time, take a seat, grab a sandwich and a smoke, and you'll feel a ton better. Don't worry, your car will live, and good luck with alll your future wrenching jobs!
Old 10-15-2006, 06:35 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

Originally Posted by LeMans 05
I've been wrenching on cars for a number of years now, and the #1 thing is, if you're getting tired or hungry, take a break. It always goes worse the more tired you get, because you'll forget things, rush things, and just not be as careful. So next time, take a seat, grab a sandwich and a smoke, and you'll feel a ton better. Don't worry, your car will live, and good luck with alll your future wrenching jobs!
now i know.. hopefully after getting my car fixed the second time would be easier
Old 10-15-2006, 06:41 PM
05-Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidv
Each of us have a maintenence horror story. On a stupid scale of 1 to 10, yours rates about a 5. Any wrench guy here will tell that that the best tool is experience, and that we learn from our mistakes.

Best wishes.
A few weeks ago my best friend installed his battery backwords in his pick-up truck.

Did I forget to mention he lives in Texas and was drinking?

To the OP, things could be worse. Lesson learned.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:50 PM
Jenn350Z

Oh man sounds like quite the day! I'm not sure you should be working on your car if you're not sure what coolant looks like lol!

Things will workout in the end for you I'm sure!
Old 10-15-2006, 06:54 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

so whats the green liquid thing? coolant?
Old 10-15-2006, 07:15 PM
CAN0802

It could be worse. I changed the timing belt on my old car myself. I had everything down to a T, and put it all back together, torques just perfect......except for one bolt. I didn't find that out until I started the car, and heard a high pitched squeal, then a clunk. seems I forgot to torque the vibration dampener bolt, which backed itself out, causing my dampener to wobble and shear the key. Since it was way out of balance then, the vibration literally tore the flywheel off, destroying other things in the back half of the engine.
The damage? $3100 and five days in the shop, and it would have been more, but it was a friend's shop. I still to this day have the crankshaft timing belt gear as a reminder of that event.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:18 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey myZter, pity you learned Murphy's law the hard way, the more tired you get the more likely you are too stuff it up.

Lil story about coolant. One of our track days 3 wks ago, one of the guys came limping into the pits at snails pace, parked, coolant sprewing all over the ground, fan sheared, burst hoses + other bits, and he'd just been zooming around the track at 240kms plus, was all fixed in 57mins.

On the upside now you know what coolant looks like, it could have been way worse. Lil bit wiser now, good luck with the fix.

Last edited by BRONZEE; 10-15-2006 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:20 PM
HighwaySpeed

Probably.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:21 PM
Jenn350Z

Yes, it's coolant. Maybe you didn't put a hose back on all the way?
Let us know what happens.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:21 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

Originally Posted by BRONZEE
Hey myZter, pity you learned Murphy's law the hard way, the more tired you get the more likely you are too stuff it up. Lil bit wiser now, good luck.
so i guess the green liquid is the coolant.
better to learn now then never i guess. i think im the type of guy that likes to learn the hard way.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:57 PM
engiNERD350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that dude. Hopefully it gets fixed soon for you. I had a bad Z DIY weekend myself. I was doing black housing on the headlights. Followed the instructions very carefully, even putting the oven at a lower temp than recommended. My oven might have been too small (standard size) but there was heat concentration and ended up melting sections of the polycarbonate clear housing. Had to rush to Nissan before they closed to put another headlight assembly on order, $275! I bought the non-HID since I just need the clear cover. HID version was $700! After 12 hours yesterday working on it and $275 (which should have been a $15 DIY), I have to head to work tomorrow on one headlight and wait until Wed. to get my new one. I'm there with you bro.

Last edited by engiNERD350Z; 10-15-2006 at 07:59 PM.

Quick Reply: worst sunday...