Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Dealerships and Modded Cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 08:37 PM
Built2shredZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealerships and Modded Cars

Since i've bought my Z down at the beach where my parents have a 2nd home, I have done all my maintance at the dealership down there... Well latly i've been busy with work and have not had a chance to get down there and needed a oil change, so I took it to the Nissan Dealership near my house.. I dropped it off around 9 AM and I get a call around 1:30 PM telling me they can't get my car on the lift... WTF my car only has the Nismo Suspension which only lowers it 0.8" and my Stillen body does not lower it that much... I have a feeling that since there a small dealership they just perfer not to work on modified cars in fear of damaging something...

Curious if anyone else runs into this problem...

Theres another dealership in my area which ill give a try tomorrow... Hopefully they will be more sports car minded otherwise ill have to break out the tools and do the oil change myself...
Old 10-18-2006, 10:55 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Built2shredZ
I get a call around 1:30 PM telling me they can't get my car on the lift... WTF my car only has the Nismo Suspension which only lowers it 0.8" and my Stillen body does not lower it that much... I have a feeling that since there a small dealership they just perfer not to work on modified cars in fear of damaging something...
It is possible that their hoists are not able to facilitate a low or lowish car or might be older equipment.
I've run into this is the past when I was searching for a new place to take my Z for it's wheel alignments, quite a few places I checked out just wouldn't be able to get my car on the hoist. Standard NZ Z ride height 108mm (legal ride height 100mm). I don't know what it is in USA, would be interesting to know.

Seen posts on here before posters think a dealership is scared to work on their Z. Let us know how you get one.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:51 PM
Built2shredZ

I went to the other dealership this morning and told them what the other dealership said about not getting it ont he lift, so the service guy calls a mechanic and asks if he thinks there will be a problem, the guy walks around the car and says no problem... He said he's gotten cars a lot lower then mine on lifts... Nice to deal with people who know what there doing...

Was funny when I came back later in the day to pick up my car they had it park out front by the other new cars like it was up for sale... The service guy said they had a lot of people drooling over my car... Always a good compliment to get
Old 10-19-2006, 08:57 PM
Fear's Track 06

dude nice car. looks nice
what body kit is that. and where did you get that front lip. i want one of those front lips but dont know where to look. thanks.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:50 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There is a difference between cannot an rather not. Concerning liability for possible damage, why mess with a car that is modified? Not worth the risk.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:40 PM
Wendy
L A d y z 3 3

I have the same problem before too. sucks
Old 10-19-2006, 10:46 PM
kuo246

+1 I too had my car parked out front ...very nice compliment!
Old 10-19-2006, 10:48 PM
Built2shredZ

Originally Posted by Fear's Track 06
dude nice car. looks nice
what body kit is that. and where did you get that front lip. i want one of those front lips but dont know where to look. thanks.
Stillen body kit @ www.stillen.com

The lip only works with the series 2 bumper... Be warned tho, when they sent me the lip they didnt give me the middle support piece and the instructions does not even show it in the material list.. My lip ended up warping in the middle from the down force of the wind going thru it.. So make sure they send it to you if you go with this kit... I ended up having to buy a new one

Although I like the kit, Stillen's customer service pretty much sucks....
Old 10-19-2006, 10:55 PM
Built2shredZ

Originally Posted by davidv
There is a difference between cannot an rather not. Concerning liability for possible damage, why mess with a car that is modified? Not worth the risk.

After thinking about it I have to agree with you... If they prefer to only handle stock cars then its there right...

I think dealerships that cater to the performance crowd will do better financally tho... They can sell parts directly and 9 out of 10 times also be able to make money installing the parts... The dealership I use when Im at the beach (Mossy Nissan) sells aftermarket parts and even has customer car shows in there parking lot from time to time..
Old 10-19-2006, 11:32 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

After thinking about it I have to agree with you... If they prefer to only handle stock cars then its there right...

I think dealerships that cater to the performance crowd will do better financally tho... They can sell parts directly and 9 out of 10 times also be able to make money installing the parts... The dealership I use when Im at the beach (Mossy Nissan) sells aftermarket parts and even has customer car shows in there parking lot from time to time..
And dealerships are also getting wise about sponsoring 350Z meets. Free hot dogs and sodas and maybe some give-away baseball caps. If someone drops by to look at the Zs, and buys a Sentra, the dealer is still ahead.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:04 AM
doskiez

My home dealer doesnt have any problems with the nismo suspension height, but man does my alignment shop hate it
Old 10-20-2006, 12:34 AM
Kurru

Since i've bought my Z down at the beach where my parents have a 2nd home, I have done all my maintance at the dealership down there... Well latly i've been busy with work and have not had a chance to get down there and needed a oil change, so I took it to the Nissan Dealership near my house.. I dropped it off around 9 AM and I get a call around 1:30 PM telling me they can't get my car on the lift... WTF my car only has the Nismo Suspension which only lowers it 0.8" and my Stillen body does not lower it that much... I have a feeling that since there a small dealership they just perfer not to work on modified cars in fear of damaging something...

Curious if anyone else runs into this problem...

Theres another dealership in my area which ill give a try tomorrow... Hopefully they will be more sports car minded otherwise ill have to break out the tools and do the oil change myself...
although didn't happen to my Z, happened to my hot rod. they are scared of "liability" they didn't want to install a new fuel cell for me. so eff em i'll do it myself this weekend.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:04 AM
afro561

And dealerships are also getting wise about sponsoring 350Z meets. Free hot dogs and sodas and maybe some give-away baseball caps. If someone drops by to look at the Zs, and buys a Sentra, the dealer is still ahead.
To bad antwerpen stopped they were so close and gave out pretty nice sutff like XM radio and shirts/hats.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:34 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

What city are you in?
Old 10-20-2006, 11:57 AM
Built2shredZ

Originally Posted by Andy@Performance
What city are you in?
Me?

I live in Palm Springs, but my parents have a 2nd home in Oceanside that I use from time to time...
Old 10-20-2006, 12:51 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

+1...They've been doing that locally in Houston. Sterlin McCall Nissan sponsors local car shows in one of their big parking lots..
Old 10-20-2006, 12:53 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

I built my own custom ramps inorder to get the up about 4 inches so I can slide a floor jack underneath. It's good for oil changes and such.