Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Driving in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 02:39 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if it's accurate, but I heard snow chains damage low-profile tires...?
Old 10-29-2006, 03:22 PM
Escobar

Received 154 Likes on 128 Posts

I wouldn't risk it bro, just pick up a beater truck or something
Old 10-29-2006, 04:23 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by nbdyfcnsqnc
I don't know if it's accurate, but I heard snow chains damage low-profile tires...?
It's not the tires, it's the wheels.

Besides, if I really need chains, then it doesn't matter if I was driving my Z or our Armada -- I'd park the vehicle and stay home, the weather isn't safe for driving.

In fact, the only time I've ever needed 4WD is when a road has been closed for anything BUT 4WD.

Driving in snow isn't difficult, just more time-consuming. Go slower and drive smoother -- not like that's a huge secret or anything.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:46 PM
finsfanscot

I have a set of winter wheels/tires, live in the midwest (125 miles south of Chicago) and drove the Z last winter (though it was an admittedly mild winter) with no problems at all.

I also have a FWD minivan at my disposal, and a job where I can call in and say "can't make it to work today boys, carry on without me!"

If it is snowing, the minivan is prefered, but as long as the snow is less than 5-6 inches or so, or if you can be reasonably assured they will plow your streets, the Z with winter tires will be fine. A small FWD beater would be better, but you can still get around town with the Z and winter tires.

However, you CAN NOT drive on snow (even a half inch) with the stock tires from the factory. Mario Andretti himself could not drive this car on the snow with the factory tires. Unless you want your car in a ditch, don't try...

Good Luck!
Old 10-29-2006, 07:23 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts

I'm a graduate of CSU and a current Z owner in Colorado. One issue that hasn't been brought up is the car's 53/47 weight balance. It makes it difficult for the car to maintain traction on the roads up I-70. Sorry to say that even with snow tires, the Z isn't a that great a car for going skiing in. It can be done, but lack of traction (not to mention room for skiis) make this less than the best alternative.

I use a 200SX Se-R for winter driving. With snow tires, that sucka goes anywhere!
Old 10-30-2006, 07:51 AM
shushikiary

I drive my Z here in colorado (boulder and thornton), I have perelli sotozero snow tires on 18 inch rims... no problems what so ever, as long as your not stupid. It still has good traction on ice, but you cant drop the clutch at 3000 rpm's or you wont be going anywhere. You dont take corners at 30 mph, you take them at 5, you dont press the gas pedal down all the way when in a corner, you bearly touch it...

Using some common sense, with snow tires, it isnt bad. Infact, get this... I have MORE traction in the Z in the snow, than I do with my FWD mazda MX-6, and it's only 130 hp (if that). Of course the mazda has all season tires on it and not snow tires (kuhmo's).

Driving the Z in the snow, i'm more worried about other people hitting me than me losing control... So many people cry that the Z cant handle snow, but it does so just fine, you just cant drive it like it's a sports car in the snow. Be a little kinder to the gas pedal and clutch and you'll be just fine with snow tires. Not only this, but colorado does an amazing job with plowing the streets in cities (not so great in the some rural area's, but still better than most states) Even if we get a foot of snow one night, the next morning it's pretty much all cleared off the main roads. And if it's ever bad enough that the snow plows cant get to it fast enough (which means it's like 4 feet of snow in 1 day) then you dont drive, even if you have a truck with 4wd, snow tires, and 2 feet of clearance.

Just be smart about it and you'll be just fine in the snow.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:15 AM
Category5

Originally Posted by 98MODMTR
What is this snow stuff you all are referring too?

Would like to know if I need to prepare for it down here in Florida?

Ya, what's this snow stuff? I think I've seen pictures. It's white flaky stuff, right?
Old 10-30-2006, 09:25 AM
Jenn350Z

I was at a friend's place this past weekend and it snowed a little bit. When I went to drive up the hill the next morning I had a hard time getting traction
Old 10-30-2006, 09:33 AM
Jenn350Z

Originally Posted by 98MODMTR
What is this snow stuff you all are referring too?

Would like to know if I need to prepare for it down here in Florida?

Very funny
Old 10-30-2006, 09:52 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Category5
Ya, what's this snow stuff? I think I've seen pictures. It's white flaky stuff, right?
Its called frozen participation.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:27 AM
maxpowers

Originally Posted by davidv
I am sure that you searched snow and read some of the 503 results. Opinions are varied:

Yes you can drive a 350Z in the snow.
You can drive a 350Z in the snow under some conditions.
Driving a 350Z in the snow is stupid.

So take your pick.
LOL
Old 10-31-2006, 09:34 AM
maxpowers

My Z with snow tires drives better than my wifes FWD sedan with all season in 'all categories' except:
- Deep snow (and I'm talking deep like you shouldn't be driving anyways)
- Acceleration (FWD is slightly faster especially up hill but the Z ok unless you are racing)
- Fish Tailing (Z will fish tail in icy conditions if you don't manage your throttle properly).

I have PA2 Pilot Alpines, but if I were serious about driving in the snow for skiing etc, I would go with a non-performance snow tire like the X-ice. These tires will provide you with better grip in icy conditions.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:55 AM
jtabraham

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Z is my only mode of transportation, unless I want to make my 100 mile roundtrip commute on studded rollerblades. I just bought a set of Dunlop Graspic snow tires yesterday, and am pretty confident I'll be fine as long as I don't drive like a douce bag...like someone else said, when you have snow tires, you're going to be more worried that the lady behind you in a 2-wheel drive suburban, talking on her cell phone, and drinking her starbucks isn't going to hit you.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:11 PM
The Mr Guinness

It may be time for a cheap addition to the family for the winter months
Old 11-01-2006, 01:19 AM
lgearing

once you get to colorado look in the papers for an old beater subura for like 1000, they run forever and are good in the snow. going to be hard making it up vail pass in the z. buy a beater and garage the z. no way in hell would i be driving my z in the winter in colorado. and you can fit skis in there. if i can fit my surfboard then you can fit ski's
Old 11-01-2006, 08:06 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts

The other thing to consider anywhere in Colorado is the increased wear and tear on your Z in the winter months. The nose and windshield gets sandblasted and all sorts of chemicals get thrown up during and just after snow storms...
Old 11-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Zmazing03

Happy to see that some fellow CTers can handle the snow. I've lived her all my life, so I am used to it, and I have drove in it since I got my license. I will be getting snow tires as I don't have funds for another car. The Rx7 I drove in the snow was lousy, but I was 17 and I did not have snow tires (lol!). Z has far more power (287 to 144) but bigger tires, more weight. I should be okay.

So I have heard that Blizzacks are the way to go -- anyone support/deny that claim?

I find it ironic how so many people are so negative about driving in the snow...when they don't have to deal with it, likely have zero experience doing so, and don't have salt + sand on the roads. So easy to give advice on something you don't deal with...like saying don't take your car and park in the sun if you live in AZ...yeah, right.
Amen to that. I am stunned by the number of people who have no CLUE how to drive in the snow. The best are these 4WD who think they are all high and mighty and do whatever they want. I seem them crashed more often than cars. Laughable.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:08 PM
MurcielagoR-GT

Originally Posted by dkmura
The other thing to consider anywhere in Colorado is the increased wear and tear on your Z in the winter months. The nose and windshield gets sandblasted and all sorts of chemicals get thrown up during and just after snow storms...
thanks, I'll look into getting a car bra. Do they make the tear-offs for windsheilds like they do for race cars?

I'm curious as to why an old FWD car would handle better then the Z?

Last edited by MurcielagoR-GT; 11-02-2006 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:15 PM
MurcielagoR-GT

Old 11-02-2006, 02:29 PM
hardrock905

I have my 17" stockers wrapped with Blizzak LM22's. I've driven in the snow many times without issue.
Drive safely in the snow with good winter treads and the Z does just fine.

Quick Reply: Driving in the snow