Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z causing fatal crash in Delaware!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 08:27 PM
IndustrialDuane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z causing fatal crash in Delaware!

NEWARK -- Police are asking for the public's help to find a street-racer who fled Saturday after the car he was racing with caused a crash that killed an elderly driver.

The 9:15 a.m. crash at Elkton and Casho Mill roads sheared the elderly woman's car in half. The driver of the other car in the crash received minor injuries.

Police described the woman, who died in emergency surgery at Christiana Hospital, as a 78-year-old Newark resident. Her name was not being released Saturday night, until her family could be told

Newark Mayor Vance Funk, who heard sirens from emergency vehicles while walking downtown with his wife, said street racing has been an issue in the city.

"We've had drag racing problems in the past on Elkton Road," he said. A year ago, state, city and county police were doing patrols on Elkton Road close to the Maryland line to try to stop it, he said, "but that was late at night. That's usually when we had the problem."

After Saturday's accident, the front end of the local woman's silver car sat on the grass near a scarred utility pole in front of the Casho Mill Professional Center. Nearby, the back end -- sliced just behind the front seats -- sat in the intersection.

Police did not release the injured driver's name or any information about possible charges Saturday night. They would say only that the Newark police traffic division was continuing its investigation.

They released no details about the woman's injuries.

The crash closed part of Elkton Road for 4 1/2 hours, Newark police spokesman Lt. Thomas LeMin said.

'A high rate of speed'

The crash "occurred when two vehicles -- a 2004 Saturn Ion and a silver Nissan 350 Z -- were traveling at a high rate of speed, southbound on Elkton Road," LeMin said.

The woman, who had been driving a 1984 Mercedes north on Elkton Road, turned left onto Casho Mill road and was hit by the Saturn in the intersection, he said.

Aetna Hook, Hose & Ladder Company of Newark, New Castle County Emergency Medical Services, University of Delaware emergency care and police responded to the crash, said John H. Farrell IV, Aetna's public information officer

Rescuers found one of the drivers trapped in the wreckage, Farrell said, and were able to get the person out in seven minutes.

Both drivers were taken to Christiana Hospital, where the driver of the speeding car was treated for minor injuries, LeMin said. The 78-year-old woman was admitted in critical condition then taken into surgery, where she died.

The silver Nissan 350 Z that fled was believed to have a Maryland license plate that started with the letters TVW, LeMin said.

Roland Welker, who lives on nearby Chrysler Avenue, said he was home but did not hear the crash because he has learned to tune out the noise of the busy road where drivers often speed.

"There's so many drag races, so many loud mufflers," he said. "We hear that at night. I don't even open the front door. You can't hear the TV."

hey guys im from delware i live right aroud newark, i have a silverstone 350z so looks like ill be having fun with the cops soon, if anyone on this fourm knows who this guy is in the 350z with the MD lc plates please let me know, he lives in the Elkton MD area! or if its you be a man and turn yourself in, becasue all of us in newark that own 350z's and or hang out and dont street race will be looking for you and calling the police if we do see a car that matches the LC plate description!

thanks
Old 11-12-2006, 08:36 PM
IndustrialDuane

p.s i know its a repost but its to let u guys know were looking for the person!
Old 11-12-2006, 08:38 PM
kourosH

lol
Old 11-12-2006, 08:41 PM
nMugen

wow, thats a messed up incident, ya dude turn urself in, dont be a douche bag!
Old 11-12-2006, 08:54 PM
slinksZ

This will make the reality of street racing set in.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:47 PM
HighwaySpeed

Unhappy

Devil's advocate...

The Nissan should not have been speeding.

The Saturn should not have been speeding.

Did the lady see the Saturn or the Nissan, before she made a left turn in front of them?

Did the driver of the Saturn see the lady's car before they made contact?

Speeding on local streets might cause an accident.

People with poor depth perception should drive extra carefully [Like my ex-gf... who scared the heck out of me merging, making turns & making lane changes, while doing the speed limit or less].

The Nissan did not cause the accident.

RIP for the lady.

Last edited by HighwaySpeed; 11-12-2006 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:50 PM
trentor

Originally Posted by slinksZ
This will make the reality of street racing set in.
yeah, it does. sadly though, it won't for many.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:54 PM
trentor

Originally Posted by HighwaySpeed
The Nissan did not cause the accident.
i disagree. had the Z not been racing the Ion, the accident wouldn't have occurred. i'm sure there's enough evidence there to charge the Z driver with more than just speeding, reckless driving, and street racing.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:00 PM
2005daytonaZ

damn..i was late for work because of that...the whole road going into elkton was closed. I knew something was bad but not to that degree. it must have just happened too since i got there around 9:35. There are a lot of ricer people around that area too. Just the other day there was a black srt-4 and a hatchback civic in front of me racing short distance crap right down main street at 10 p.m. when there are tons of people walking around. idiots
Old 11-12-2006, 10:03 PM
xedes

Not trying to be insensitive, but it does sound like the elderly lady might have made an unsafe left turn. If she was about to cross over the oncoming traffic lanes, it was HER responsibility to make sure there were no cars coming.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:10 PM
jakesford

Originally Posted by trentor
i disagree. had the Z not been racing the Ion, the accident wouldn't have occurred. i'm sure there's enough evidence there to charge the Z driver with more than just speeding, reckless driving, and street racing.
Yeah not knowing the "details" of what the two cars were doing outside of speeding...

No matter what the driver of the 350z could be charged with "failure to stop and render aid"

Originally Posted by xedes
Not trying to be insensitive, but it does sound like the elderly lady might have made an unsafe left turn. If she was about to cross over the oncoming traffic lanes, it was HER responsibility to make sure there were no cars coming.
if the road is a 40 limit for example... and the cars are going 80+, it wouldn't be hard for the lady to not realize how quickly they were traveling. Plus if the Saturn was doing the proper speed limit, they may have been able to avoid the accident if not speeding, Increased braking distance ect.

No matter what its ****ed up, and a good example why I quit messing around on the streets...

Last edited by jakesford; 11-12-2006 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:16 PM
trentor

^true.

and regarding the comments about the elderly lady being partially at fault... i agree somewhat, but like jakesford said, we don't know the details, so who knows?

regardless of whether she had some fault, it the saturn hadn't been going so fast, she most likely would have lived. i mean, they freakin SHEARED a mercedes in HALF. they had to have been going really, really fast to do that to an 84 Benz. they actually made cars with steel back then
Old 11-12-2006, 10:16 PM
HighwaySpeed

Unhappy

Years ago, a 26 year old man was nearly killed by an 80 year old man. Neither car was speeding. The 26 year old's car was doing about 45 mph Southbound and the 80 year old's car was doing about 25-30 mph Eastbound. The older driver told the police, "I stopped at the stop sign, looked both ways and then proceeded into the intersection" "I never saw another car." The younger man's compact car was hit in the right rear, it did a 180 and went backward down the street past 2 houses [In The Northbound Lanes], before coming to a stop [Clear sunny day, dry pavement].

The older man's insurance company said, "He's a very nice man."
Old 11-12-2006, 10:19 PM
trentor

^i see your point, but read my last post above. i'll just repeat two words. "in half"

this is a very different situation than what you described.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:25 PM
HighwaySpeed

Unhappy

^i see your point, but read my last post above. i'll just repeat two words. "in half"

this is a very different situation than what you described.
I've seen the results of many car vs tree/pole accidents. Uni-body cars don't do well when they hit a tree/pole, due to the high concentration of impact force, centered on a very small portion of the vehicle's side [Even "old" '84 cars].
Old 11-12-2006, 10:36 PM
michaeljr6

so the z won right.....
Old 11-12-2006, 10:38 PM
trentor

here's the best post i've seen on the subject...from the other thread...

Originally Posted by Blurr350z
I live about 3 minutes from this intersection (and also drive a silver Z), and let me tell you, there couldnt be a worse place to race. First of all, this road is HEAVILY patroled by the Newark Police, who are looking for street racing at all times of the day (granted that 9 a.m. is very early for a race around here). Second, at this point on the road, its nothing but beat up concrete, terrible for driving fast on, let alone racing on. Third, at this intersection, theres a downhill going into it, which leaves you almost blind to oncoming or turning traffic. Not to mention the intersection is used by many residents of the nearby area. And for the Ion to cut the Mercedes in half!!! They must have started the race a mile up the road before the intersection. Thats like splitting a sherman tank in two.

I have raced on Elkton Road plenty of times, but never at this point. Its moronic in the fact that theres always cops around there, and people are always cutting you off by turning at the intersection. My dad told me about this accident, and when I heard it was a Z that was involved I was disgusted.

Street racing is inevitable... but if you do it use your head. Racing through that intersection wasnt even asking for trouble, it was asking for a catastrophe... and thats exactly what they got
Old 11-13-2006, 03:27 AM
"Z"orilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a silverstone 350Z will soon be for sale.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:44 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

This guy is caught big time, how many Silverstone 's the same letters. Bet he is already arrested. Just a matter of time. Wonder if he is a member here?

Hope the ****er fries!
Old 11-13-2006, 03:45 AM
Xx SiFaKa

Originally Posted by "Z"orilla
Looks like a silverstone 350Z will soon be for sale.
You beat me too it! Lol, I was just about to say that.

Quick Reply: 350z causing fatal crash in Delaware!