Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

how long can you ride w/o plates?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 12:12 PM
widebody350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just say that you just got them and haven't had time and yea the cop might make you put them on right then and there but that is about it. Here in Va if you get any kind of citation like that and get it fixed by the time or your court date the judge just says, "Ok you have complied with law," and lets you go on your merry way.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:14 PM
bamyi

Originally Posted by AroundMyHorn
i put my front plate under my windshield. it seems to work because havent been pulled over yet since.
Try doing that with the rear plates and see what happens

If your front plate on the windshield (which is illegal) haven't got you pulled over, might as well remove it completely. Hopefully before you get into an accident and the plate gets imbeded in your skull.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:32 PM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bamyi
Try doing that with the rear plates and see what happens

If your front plate on the windshield (which is illegal) haven't got you pulled over, might as well remove it completely. Hopefully before you get into an accident and the plate gets imbeded in your skull.
lol....wasnt an attack on the back plate. I jsut put it their because i thought it migth work. I've had plenty cops look right at it and do nothing. Hell, one time, the cop turned around to come get me because he didnt see it but once he saw it on my side he jsut kept on rollin.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:36 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bailey bill
So how long will it take you to change them....2 minutes?

Just put the plates on!

bill
no no, youre reading me all wrong, i know very well how little effort it takes to change plates. i just dont want to put my sequential ones on. besides the whole not wanting to put it on in the front, my # plate is kind of embarassing...anyone looking at it would think it's a WWF supporting vanity plate
Old 11-17-2006, 12:41 PM
kourosH

i did the same as u..i had my plates delivered and just kept em in the car and had ordered personalized ones, i never put on the random ones given to me...prob didnt have plates for a good 3 months-3.5 months
Old 11-17-2006, 12:49 PM
Durden76

Keep 'em off as long as you can. Free rides on the toll roads brother!!
Old 11-17-2006, 02:14 PM
widebody350

^lol most toll road cameras don't work well anyways.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:23 PM
myspivey

Originally Posted by AroundMyHorn
i put my front plate under my windshield. it seems to work because havent been pulled over yet since.
I wish i could find the article, but just to let you know, not such a safe idea. Read this article about a passanger who has their face seriously damaged from having the plate fly at them. Missing an eye and all kind of damage from the impact of the plate straight to the face at a horizontal angle.

And to anwser your question, how hard is it to put on two, maybe even four screws depending? Going out without plates just sounds stupid....
Old 11-17-2006, 02:37 PM
HighwaySpeed

Talking

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z
I will stop vehicles all day long for not having tags. Doesn't mean I will cite (will consider the circumstances)... [Is She Cute, etc]

If you have them in the vehicle, guess what... I will give you "my multi-tool"...[Hehehe]

+1
Old 11-18-2006, 06:36 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

Originally Posted by Durden76
Keep 'em off as long as you can. Free rides on the toll roads brother!!
lol for one, LA doesnt have too many toll roads hahaha, and for two...brother? nope
Old 11-18-2006, 06:38 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oneDIRTYz

i think im gonna leave them off a little longer.
ridin' dirty.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:49 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

just a little.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:22 PM
BhashaZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my plates on the rear, then about 1.5 years later when I got my kit put on, I decided to take off my plates and put on "dealer plates" (actually, they were from F1 Motorsports). Anyways, my car still looked new so I rode around like that for about 7 months no hassle (no front or rear plates basically).

However, the one and ONLY time I got onto the 405 freeway, I get rolled. I was on there for less than one mile going nice and slow in the slowest lane (I entered the freeway only 1 or 2 exits back) and a CHP on a motorcycle rolls up next to me, right next to my window and starts staring at me. I didn't know if he was checking out my car, was looking at tint, or what. So I just gave a friendly wave. He then slows down, gets behind me, and starts flashing his lights. When he comes up to my window, he says "Sir, I pulled you over because there's no license plates on your car, and there's no indication that this vehicle is new." I responded that I JUST got back from the body shop *ahem* 7 months ago *ahem*, and I hadn't put my plates back on yet since I wanted to paint to cure (I was trying not to laugh). Long story short, he saw that I had my plates sitting in the hatch, but still wrote me up. I think when he was staring at my car he was probably looking for that little sticker that goes on the passenger side of the windshield.

I still need to get it "fixed" before my court date. I only replaced the F1 Motorsports tag with my real license plate. Still haven't decided on what to do with the front.

BTW, does anybody know if I can just zip-tie the front plate? I don't want to drill my front bumper and don't want to buy a Z-bracket.

Last edited by BhashaZ; 11-18-2006 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:14 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by BhashaZ
BTW, does anybody know if I can just zip-tie the front plate? I don't want to drill my front bumper and don't want to buy a Z-bracket.
Depends on how CA law is written. My state requires a permanent mounting sollution for plates. So zip ties, technically, wouldn't work. Most cops wouldn't hassle, but there are always exceptions...
Old 11-19-2006, 01:22 AM
RichieM
Banned for NON PAYMENT

a little off topic but how much do personalized plates cost?
Old 11-19-2006, 02:26 AM
redman333

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't have my tags on at all for about 8 months, just kept the piece of paper in the passenger side window. Cops would roll up next to me looking for plates and see the paper in the window and keep on their way. They never bothered to actually pull me over to see how old it was.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:47 AM
bloodwings19

I haven't had plates since I bought the car, almost exactly 2 years ago, granted I drive sparingly. I drove the 4runner for 5 years without plate in the front and I haven't been tagged. Knock on-wood that I haven't been cited for no front plate, my reasoning is that not all states requires it. I don't see why a front plate is going to help law enforcement, how often do they catch criminals using the front plate. Even when you run tollroad booth without paying, they use the rear plate to penalize. Most Corvettes don't have front plates either. Besides not being ticketed for no front plates, I haven't had a ticket driving the Z. Unless every states requires it, then I'll put it on, until then status quo.

PS: Front plate on the front winshield is illegal, I know Judge
Old 11-19-2006, 07:02 AM
zzz350

So far three years with no front plate on my Black Z. I spend a lot of time in SF, San Jose and the central valley, so far no coppers writing my fix-it tix.

Does anyone know if you are allowed to slightly alter the shape and size of the front plate, in California? I thought about cutting it down somewhat and fitting it off to one side of the front grill opening. Anyone tried this?
Old 11-19-2006, 12:10 PM
dchengmd

Originally Posted by zzz350
Does anyone know if you are allowed to slightly alter the shape and size of the front plate, in California? I thought about cutting it down somewhat and fitting it off to one side of the front grill opening. Anyone tried this?
It's against the law (at least in CA) to alter your plates in any way, including cutting or covering it. There have been instances where people have been cited just because their license plate frame covered part of the number.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:25 PM
NewJerZ

Dude....F*ck the dumb shyt! Put on the plates you have and change over when your "MYNEWZ" plates arrive.

IF you DO get a ticket..PLEASE honor us by posting a new thread entitled:

"I zoomed into a residential area to avoid a cop who saw my Z with no plates...and I ran over a fire hydrant...now my ^&*%@ front end is f*cked up"

Quick Reply: how long can you ride w/o plates?