Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What keeps you puzzled about the 350Z?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 09:19 AM
InternetABYSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pre production vehicals where distributed all over the country very early so that the press would have a chance to see the new Z and get reviews out to start the PUBLIC HYPE ( it takes time to make mags, marketing surveys, and run tests)....when we get our cars there will be more free advertizing (remember Nissan is on a budget)...after we get our cars on the road..the public will be saying EWWW AAHHHH Then thats when the commercials start. BAM.....(hey daddy can I get that car for Christmas?)
BAM come Sept-Dec Nissan hopes to gain the Love of the public using a master plan that all started with a few thousand preorder buyers.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:43 AM
InternetABYSS

Quote from RXO "This is their first direct pre-order attempt directly to the consumer. The learning curve is HUGE!"

hmmmm just think why do a preorder becusae they like us???
Or to make money??

Do they (nissan) need to sell 7500 a year or 30,000???

Preorder = money = free advertisments = BIG MONEY = Large profit with little cost and BIG HYPE.

I do think the car reviews has back fired alittle though. They needed to blow the press away with a more HP. My opinon is that should have offered a supercharger factory option with corvette killer proformance.

You decide if im legit

PS....all aside I have and still do keep secrets per request of nissan..nothing too serious but enough that If I posted it that Nissan thinks people would be upset. Everytime I think its ok to talk about a topic like the tracking numbers for example...BOOM I feel like I get raided by the cops for causing a riot.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:36 AM
BrianZ

The pre-order program is mostly marketing, with a little bit of production planning thrown in.

Every company exists to make money for its shareholders, either through dividends, stock appreciation, or both.

The marketing of this car will undoubtedly include all of the standard new-car promotional characteristics that we see out there (advertising, give-aways, magazine articles, contests). The pre-order program is a cheap way to enhance Nissan's marketing for this car.
Old 07-17-2002, 07:19 PM
rouxeny

The only thing that has me puzzled is....

WHEN IS THE CAR COMING?

That's all.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:00 PM
nizl

I don't understand why the driver's side lacks the nice big handle on the inside passenger door?
Old 07-17-2002, 08:33 PM
PistolPete

I wouldn't be suprised if the pre-production models end up being crushed, or sold at auction as non-street legal vehicles. Car manufacturers rarely allow pre-production models to be driven as regular cars.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:48 PM
nizl

Originally posted by kraZy
It's because the driver has no need for an "Oh ****!" handle.
You apparently haven't seen the way I drive.

I didn't realize this was the oh **** handle - I thought it was just for opening and closing the door...
Old 07-17-2002, 08:49 PM
uf300zx

PistolPete is right.... the cars will be most likely crushed, melted, burned..... take your pick, but they will be destroyed. I read somewhere that Nissan destroyed an R33 about a half a year ago.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:04 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,299 Likes on 900 Posts
Default The racetrack...

...is where some of those well-used pre-production models may end up. In the past, racers with established histories (and proven budgets) contacted Nissan with a plan to campaign the cars in a SCCA/IMSA race series. Not sure if this will apply to the 350Z, but the racers I've talked with say that the deal included a signed contract saying that the cars will be destroyed (ie. the crusher) when their race days are over. Nissan even insisted on having the racers arrange for the wrecking yards to provide a record of the destruction to complete the deal.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:21 PM
fatZo

Lightbulb

Originally posted by PistolPete
I wouldn't be suprised if the pre-production models end up being crushed, or sold at auction as non-street legal vehicles. Car manufacturers rarely allow pre-production models to be driven as regular cars.
Pre-production vehicles often include a number of flaws and deficiencies that are rectified once the actual production begins. Automakers prefer to destroy them in order to dispose of the evidence.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:26 PM
3rdpower

1. Delivery Date
2. DVD Nav - touch screen?!
3. Weight!? How does a 2dr weigh as much as a 4 door?
4. Nismo?!
Old 07-17-2002, 09:39 PM
SnoopyZ

What puzzles me...

Why do I have a "T" order number when I preordered mine on the very first day, way back in January???

Old 07-17-2002, 11:28 PM
ZON

The cars will absolutely be put in the car crusher. One would think they will strip some things like wheels, tires if still good. Maybe not though.

About why they didn't offer a turbo(S) or super charger is I think it would greatly increase insurance cost for the consumer. From what I have been told if one trim level has a turbo or S/C it not only raises cost on that one but also on the lower, non turbo, or S/C trim levels. But I still find it hard to believe Nissan won't do something like a super charger in the future. Or, maybe that will be all left to NISMO, period. Actually I hope that's the case. I'll hate it if 350ZR's that will dust my 350Z start rolling of the assembly line. That's the only thing that has been worrying me about this early "buy in" to tell you the truth.
Old 07-17-2002, 11:31 PM
ZON

Originally posted by SnoopyZ
What puzzles me...

Why do I have a "T" order number when I preordered mine on the very first day, way back in January???

Cause it's coming next "T"uesday!
Old 07-18-2002, 01:06 AM
SnoopyZ

Thanks for the comic relief throbbing_Zon.... I am pretty disappointed though...
I feel like I have been waiting forever... just to have to wait even longer!!! I called NNA and they tell me that they have no info on the delivery date, it sux...
Old 07-18-2002, 04:08 AM
Enforcer

hmmmm just think why do a preorder becusae they like us???
Or to make money??

Do they (nissan) need to sell 7500 a year or 30,000???

Preorder = money = free advertisments = BIG MONEY = Large profit with little cost and BIG HYPE.

I do think the car reviews has back fired alittle though. They needed to blow the press away with a more HP. My opinon is that should have offered a supercharger factory option with corvette killer proformance.

You decide if im legit
Right on the money IMHO (pun intended) and very ingenious. What better advertisers could you want than faithfull Z fans? Agree, there is a lot of HyPe with HP, and the backfire was just a little.

What still has me puzzled about the Z is the lack of photographs and information of all the colors and options.

Enforcer
Old 07-18-2002, 07:48 AM
SunsetZ

Default From Above

1) If you don't need that nice handle on the drivers side, then why does the G35 Coupe have it?

2) Getting your car later than others: Just cause you went in and filled out the pre order on the first day doesn't mean that your sales guy actually faxed it in right away. I was moved up in front of two people because the guy I was dealing with knew his stuff, while the other dude handling the pre orders sat on some for a long period of time.

Quick Reply: What keeps you puzzled about the 350Z?