Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Did I Get Taken?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 02:04 AM
icymax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I Get Taken?

Walked into a dealership this past Sunday and left with a black Z. This is one sweet car with orange interior leather and gold package.

A moment of weakness over took me and I spent $1100 for an extended warranty 6/100,000 and $1500 for Lojack & some sort of paint treatment that the dealer said would be needed since its a black car.

Is it too late to get a refund for these things since the lojack and paint have not been installed/ applied?

Thanks
Old 03-20-2003, 02:40 AM
Rob Nance

Paint treatment, hmm, dunno what that is, someone else will respond, sounds like a pass to me though.

Extended warranty, I wasn't impressed with it when they offered it to me. I love how the finance guy acted all dejected like I said his wife was ugly or something. He told me something crazy like 95% of the people buying cars here get this, so it was really surprising to him that I didn't get it. I know this has to be BS, but I am curious how many people really do get it.

Lo-jack, well, you live in Cali. I am just outside looking in, and it seems like you all do get a lot of theft. I think this comes down to your own call. Would it make you sleep easier? then go for it. Do you park in potential theft areas a lot? Like for me, my car is garaged at home, and at work. When I go places it's generally nice parts of town, and it's never parked on a street at a meter or anything, always lots. I don't go a lot of places where it's left for a long time, or there aren't people around (mainly restaurants and stuff). For me, I like my chances of not getting lo-jack, but for you it might be smart to get it.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:41 AM
Rob Nance

Oh, congrats on the car, I'm loving my black touring, got it just about a week ago. Welcome to the club!
Old 03-20-2003, 02:58 AM
g35or350z

Lojack - my dealer here in socal offered to install it for $600.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:54 AM
WashUJon

"Paint protection" is the biggest ripoff that dealers offer. It usually consists of a cheap thin wax applied by a porter and that's IT. Just imagine the kind of profit they get from you on THAT. When the dealer's guy started BSing about "paint protection", I threw up my hands and said NO and that was the end of it. You're way better off getting some Zaino or Blackfire for that black car and taking care of the paint yourself, IMO. Even if you bought the same cheap wax they use at 5 buck a bottle, or whatever it is, you'd be saving hundreds.

I don't have any idea what a Lojack would cost, but that 1500 for their cheap wax and a Lojack seems pretty high.

I also don't know what the extended warranties are going for and at what deductible, but 1100 is way high compared to what my parents have had on other cars. My dad paid 600 bucks for a 7 year warranty from Acura, so that's the only recent comparison I have.

The bottom line is that if you simply agreed to what they first quoted you, you're being taken. That's just about a rule of thumb with car dealers.

Have you signed any contracts? I'd try to get that cost lowered or back out of at LEAST the paint protection. That's just my opinion...
Old 03-20-2003, 07:31 AM
MallocFailure

First of all, congratulations on an awesome new car.

I mentioned this a few weeks ago in a different post, but Jeff Ostroff of the informative http://www.carbuyingtips.com says it costs them about $80 to make LoJack units, then they sell them to dealers at about $300, which usually get resold for around $600. I know the (scummy) Nissan dealer I spoke with tried to sell it to me for $999, plus another $999 for paint protection, plus $1999 for the extended warantee. I declined the entire deal, for what it's worth.

So I guess you didn't get taken for as much as they tried to take me, but if you can re-negotiate any of that, it's probably worth your while.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:51 AM
aelius

There is a grace period for the Nissan extended warranty and you should have no problem cancelling it.

If the charge was added to the financed cost of the car, it will be credited back to you, although the process can take a month or so.

And don't feel too remorseful about the paint treatment. Although the initial cost to the dealer is not that great, what you really are paying for is the guaranteed protection.

Now, enjoy your new car!
Old 03-20-2003, 07:55 AM
WebToker

Default Re: Did I Get Taken?

Originally posted by icymax
Walked into a dealership this past Sunday and left with a black Z. This is one sweet car with orange interior leather and gold package.

A moment of weakness over took me and I spent $1100 for an extended warranty 6/100,000 and $1500 for Lojack & some sort of paint treatment that the dealer said would be needed since its a black car.

Is it too late to get a refund for these things since the lojack and paint have not been installed/ applied?

Thanks
Hey at least you now have a black Z with an extended warranty and can enjoy the car.

I will say one thing about Lojack. I will never put lojack in my car unless it was a rare car that I could not buy again. Main reason is I don't want the car back after someone has ragged it to **** and/or stripped it. Thats just me though.

Enjoy the car, I love my Z and I would have paid more for it if I had to.
Old 03-20-2003, 08:02 AM
WayneTN

I never buy paint protection, rust protection, scotch guard, extended warranties, or anything of that type. The first 3 are rip offs (IMHO) and I've found extended warranties too expensive when you are buying reliable stuff. I refuse to bet my own money that what I am buying is going to break down in year 4 or 5 or whatever. If it does once, so what. I'll pay for it. If it does 2 or 3 times, I'll get rid of it anyway.

WayneTN
Old 03-20-2003, 11:50 AM
DrCold

The finanace guy thought i was crazy for not getting the extended warranty, which he had already put on the list to financed. It seemed like he didnt even want to take it off. I told him, look, im going to blow this warranty out of the water with some twin turbos, so i dont want to be paying for something im going to lose in 15,000 miles. He reluctantly agreed to take it off. But with my luck, im going to have a major problem at 36,001 miles...

-DrCold
Old 03-20-2003, 08:17 PM
silverz

Default Gold package??????

Didn't anyone pick up on the fact that this guy got a F*&#$@ gold package on a Z. WTF is up with that??????????
Old 03-20-2003, 09:58 PM
Rob Nance

Default Re: Gold package??????

Originally posted by silverz
Didn't anyone pick up on the fact that this guy got a F*&#$@ gold package on a Z. WTF is up with that??????????
haha, WTF is a gold package? I have never heard of such a thing for a Z.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:59 PM
icymax

Default Gold Package

The Z emblems are in gold and the rims have gold nissan decals in the center.

Luckily they didn't add the cost of it into the car. They actually forgot to add it.

Thank you to everyone that helped.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:35 AM
WayneTN

Personally, I wouldn't want a "gold package" on my car.

If you do, that's OK, though. Can you post a pic for us to see?

WayneTN
Old 03-21-2003, 07:59 AM
WebToker

Originally posted by WayneTN
Personally, I wouldn't want a "gold package" on my car.

If you do, that's OK, though. Can you post a pic for us to see?

WayneTN
Wouldn't look to bad on a white or black Z
Old 03-21-2003, 08:43 AM
Vlad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Gold package??????

Originally posted by Rob Nance
haha, WTF is a gold package? I have never heard of such a thing for a Z.
Or that's simple. Gold package means, dealer can buy a nice gold watch on money guy paid for extras...
Old 03-21-2003, 08:47 AM
Vlad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can install lojack or whatever you'll chose later, for half of the money or less. Paint protection is at best a cheap wax($4 for can), or nothing at all if dealer lazy... you won't know the difference anyway.

Call dealer right away tell him hi's scumbag, and you want to cancel any extras or you'll cancel the whole deal (I'm not sure you can, but anyway ;-)

Also, I bet they sold you a gap insurance for at leat $600? You can buy it on internet twice cheaper. I don't know if it possible to cancel it now, but I'd try. 300 bucks is 300 bucks...

Last edited by Vlad; 03-21-2003 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-21-2003, 02:47 PM
walc

Dealers have a HUGE profit on those items, which is why they push so hard to sell them.
The consumer publications, I've read, recommend against extended warranties. They say they are a poor value vs. cost. As previously stated, by others, you can buy at a much lower price online.
WTF, don't worry too much, you obviously were willing to pay what you did. So, the add-ons must have been worth the price to you. Enjoy the car!