Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Done with Carbotech

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 03:20 AM
Lightning Guy

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Done with Carbotech

Matt requested that I rephrase the posts, he will be seeking counsel on certain aspects and did not want them in public forum, yet.

I've been informed that Matt Nicholson has been let go from Carbotech Brakes. From what I've heard about the situation, I will no longer include Carbotech as a source for brakes.

Matt put Carbotech on the map with outstanding knowledge and customer support. It appears to be a very poor management decision by new owners and Carbotech has lost an extremely valuable asset.

Last edited by Lightning Guy; 12-10-2006 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:27 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who or what is carbotech and why should we care?
Old 12-10-2006, 05:31 AM
Xx SiFaKa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z04
Damn what is up your @ss?
Old 12-10-2006, 05:52 AM
Hella

Something tells me this is going to get locked.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:13 AM
HDPDZO6

Something ain't right here. Willing to bet the OP is the one who got fired for something (using the old, friend of mine, excuse). Also curious as to why the OP felt the need to post this exact same thread in more than one forum section?
Old 12-10-2006, 06:26 AM
Z04

Originally Posted by Xx SiFaKa
Damn what is up your @ss?
nothing, just asked a simple question
Old 12-10-2006, 06:35 AM
350zz053

Maybe carbons up his a$$.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:47 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Interesting gossip but what does it have to do with the 350Z?
Old 12-10-2006, 07:37 AM
xalos1

First of all, this thead is bull ****. An employer can not fire you for looking for another job with YOUR own personal email account. 2nd, if they in fact used your (your friends') id and password, they are breaking SO many privacy laws. If something like this happened to me, I would be rich!

I think that YOU are the one who got fired, YOU sent emails with your resume from your work computer and YOU are now looking for attention and pitty.

Grow up...
Old 12-10-2006, 07:42 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Old 12-10-2006, 07:44 AM
plumpzz

carbotech sells Z stuff here.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:47 PM
Lightning Guy

Originally Posted by xalos1
First of all, this thead is bull ****. An employer can not fire you for looking for another job with YOUR own personal email account. 2nd, if they in fact used your (your friends') id and password, they are breaking SO many privacy laws. If something like this happened to me, I would be rich!

I think that YOU are the one who got fired, YOU sent emails with your resume from your work computer and YOU are now looking for attention and pitty.

Grow up...
Nah, its not me. I'm just a lowly electrical engineer. Matt Nicholson was the one that was fired. You are correct in that an employer cannot fire you for said reason, but since North Carolina is a right to work start, they can say what ever and still fire you with out reason.

The reason I posted in so many different forums, is that different peeps read different forums, not all of them. I should have stayed in the AutoX/road racing, but many folks also use the panthers for street use. My bad on that one.

I'm just bad-mouthing what used to be a good brake manufacturing company. I'm also just trying to help a friend exact a little revenge as well.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:50 PM
Lightning Guy

Originally Posted by Z04

Really good brake pads, street and track.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:46 PM
Nukiz0r
350Z-holic

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, if its a right to work state, shouldnt he be protected? By a union or some other labour law? Right to work states cant just fire you, can they? Not with impunity anyway.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:07 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by Nuki06FireZ
Well, if its a right to work state, shouldnt he be protected? By a union or some other labour law? Right to work states cant just fire you, can they? Not with impunity anyway.

+1

An employer can part ways with you for any reason. If the new owner just wanted to get rid of him because there was a clash of personalities or opinions, he has every right to do that. This is called employment at will.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will

Tough break (no pun intended) for the guy and thanks to the OP for sharing the information so each member can decide if they wish to deal with a company that does this sort of thing. This assumes the guy did nothing wrong to be fired, of course. If so, I would certainly not do business with a company like this.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:46 AM
DPE

Just an FYI for those who may be second-guessing using Carbotech based on one of the three identical posts made about them on this forum.

There is another side to the story, which I have heard in some detail. Interestingly, it is somewhat different than the story that was formerly posted on here and has since been edited out by the original poster. I'm not here to discredit Matt, as I talked to him regularly and he was quite helpful and generally a nice guy. But I also want to be sure Carbotech is well-represented as they are and will continue to be an excellent company to do business with under the new ownership. The products they produce, naturally, continue to be excellent.

I used Carbotech pads before I was in this business, and have used them almost exclusively as the brake pad of choice for my customers over the past two years. And those customers have been happy ones. Carbotech has never been dishonest or shady in any way that I'm aware of, and in fact under the new owners has progressively gotten better from a vendor and customer service point of view.

In summary, there are a lot of companies that make parts. There are not very many good ones. I could call out quite a list of manufacturers that make junk or are sketchy to deal with and give you one or more examples of just how crappy they are. Carbotech is one of the few good ones, however, and when I see them getting trashed on a forum I want to make sure everyone reading understands that there is indeed another side to the story. And given the subject matter, there's certainly no reason to not purchase Carbotech brake pads.

And no, I don't work for Carbotech and am not a personal friend of the new owners .

Regards,
Old 12-27-2006, 05:49 PM
DPE

I am not Carbotech, and therefore I will not air their laundry on a forum. Nor do I wish to get into a flame war with Matt and/or his agents on a forum. I will only say that according to Carbotech there was a lot more to it than a few personal emails sent to other companies from work. Which when taken from a logical perspective makes sense; why would they want to get rid of someone with Matt's experience and knowledge for such a petty reason?

My point is that there is, in fact, another side to the story, and that regardless of what happened there is no reason to not to buy Carbotech based on the content of this post. And I think I made it pretty clear that the only reason I'm sticking up for them is because I believe in their products and have enjoyed doing business with them. If someone jumped on and started trashing Tein, Prodrive, Stoptech, and a few others, I'd do the same thing.

Ultimately, I didn't want someone to read the post, think there may be something bad about Carbotech and how they do business (without really thinking about it), and then spread that information around the world. Which has probably already happened, but I chose not to leave it alone with no rebuttal for every future forum viewer who does a search on Carbotech and sees those posts .

Regards,
Old 12-27-2006, 07:45 PM
Lightning Guy

I agree that Carbotech pads are top shelf all the way. I'm not fond of the new owners, but Larry was a hard pill to swallow too. I should have made the post differently for sure. By gones be by gones, and I wish Matt well in his future endeavors. I don't know if I will purchase Carbotechs again because of my loyalty to Matt, and that was all I really meant to say.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:39 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 980 Likes on 743 Posts

matt posted this on our local forums
http://clemsonscc.com/Forum/viewtopi...ight=carbotech

if thats really him, idk.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:09 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel sorry for the guy, but if the quality of their pads remains the same, I can't say I won't use their products. :shrug:

Quick Reply: Done with Carbotech