Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Stop Wrecking Your Z's People.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 10:16 AM
zeroday

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Stop Wrecking Your Z's People.

I have been getting progressively ticked off by the number of people I see wrecking their cars on this forum. I'm a a member of other car forums with FAR more members than this and this is the ONLY one where it seems every other day, someone has gotten into a serious accident in their car. More often than not it's not do to an understandable reason like slipping on ice etc. Often it is due to an inexperienced/young driver who is street racing. There's a post here where some guy was a street racing in his Z, wrecked it, then proceeds to preach the dangers of street racing. I find this absolutely laughable. THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE. Are you trying to say that you didn't think it could be dangerous untill you got into an accident?? Rediculous.

If you street race and you don't know how to handle your Z, you are going to get in an accident. Period. You very likely will kill yourself or someone else. If not now, eventually. At the very least you will cause my insurance rates to rise so that I get to keep even less of my paycheck than I already do. I personally have better things to do with my money than spend it on rising insurance rates for this car just because some people feel the need to drive their cars like jackasses.

I personally feel that the racing section of this site should be limited to posts about track racing only. Allowing street racing posts will only contribute to the problem we currently have. If you do happen to wreck your Z doing mach 5 on the back roads while it's raining etc, at LEAST be embarrassed enough by your bunglings not to post here and tell us about it.

As for the peope that drive well and somewhat responsibly, and have wrecked for reasons other than negligence and stupidity, this post was not intended for you. I have admittedly street raced on rare occasion, but only to 60-65 mph and only in very rural areas of PA where there aren't many people/cars around.

-Zeroday

Last edited by zeroday; 03-24-2003 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:05 AM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Stop Wrecking Your Z's People.

Originally posted by zeroday
I have been getting progressively ticked off by the number of people I see wrecking their cars on this forum. I'm a a member of other car forums with FAR more members than this and this is the ONLY one where it seems every other day, someone has gotten into a serious accident in their car.

-Zeroday
What other forum are you referring to that has more than 15,000 members? And, don't you think that for someone who has been registered for less than two months on this forum that your tone could be a little less antagonistic of our forum members? Someone who wrecked their Z should get some sympathy not your complaints of rising insurance costs. What, you've never been in an accident?
Old 03-24-2003, 11:09 AM
9000RPMZ

Get off your high horse brah.

If you are paying for your car, drive it the way you want; just be prepared to face the consequences of your actions >> ie. DEATH, MONETARY LOSS, EMBARASSMENT, DEATH TO INNOCENT PEOPLE (JAIL).

Street racing has been around since the dawn of the automobile, and it will be here till the demise of the automobile. Just because you are older and more "responsible" does not mean everybody has to abide by your definition of how to be a safe driver.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:09 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is a large amount of accidents, and I could compare it to clubsi, which has like 30000members.

however our insurance rates are already almost double what theirs is, so the better comparison would be to a supra, rx7, mustang, or corvette forum. the insurance might go up some, but its already rated where they expect it to land...
Old 03-24-2003, 11:14 AM
k2we

I have been approached by many BMW's and other "Hi Performance" cars and I just nod a polite "No".. I have seen way too many accidents, especially from young drivers with no experience.. My friend's 20 year old son is confined to a wheelchair after crashing his 3 week old RSX street racing, the other person in his car is dead.. Just not worth it.. I've attended many SCCA drivers school's in the past 30 years and have run Lime Rock, Bridgehampton and Summit Point race tracks in my 260Z. Racing is for the track.. Period..

Smart'n up before it's too late...

Ateve (k2we) Dobbs Ferry, NY
Old 03-24-2003, 12:56 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Default My opinion

I've street raced quite a few times, and I agree that its stupid and risky in the name of the addrenaline rush. But I can't imagine living a life without taking any stupid risks.

But there's a difference: There is taking a small calculated risk, while actively minimizing chances of an incident, and then there is blatant inexperience and the sense of 'invunderability' that is naturally phased out as one matures. For example:

Its 3am and a s2000 revs next to me on a wide empty street. No cars up ahead, no pedestrians, and it's not raining. I may possibly take on the challenge up to 70-80 just for the fun of it. It's still a risk, but definitely low compared to some kids we see that weave through traffic blowing past cars at 80mph on city streets.

Taking risks is OK people. Taking risks which could potentially injure or kill others is NOT. You may be the best driver in the world, but tires blow, animals run into the street, and you never know what the person racing you is on. Would you race a guy reving at you on a 2 lane road if you knew he was on LSD and coke? Someone could sideswipe you and take your car, and quite possibly your life.

Here's a few guidelines, feel free to add to this:

Avoid racing...

1. On rarrow roads, have some kind of turnout.

2. When there is oncoming traffic from the other side.

3. When pedestrians are present

4. Across intersections

5. >30 mph over speed limit

6. When you realize another ticket will revoke your license or make your insurance company drop your ***.

Be careful, responsible, have common sense, and think twice before letting that rush impede your judgement. If in doubt, there is no shame in backing out.
Old 03-24-2003, 01:04 PM
zeroday

Default Re: Re: Stop Wrecking Your Z's People.

Originally posted by hfm
What other forum are you referring to that has more than 15,000 members?
Acura-cl.com for one. They currently have 10,900 members. There are more ACTIVE users on that board. The problem with this site's 15k number is that in order to see any posts here at all here, you have to join. Because of this you end up with alot of inactive user accounts contributing to your numbers. This is not the case at acura-cl.com, all posts are viewable to guests, and therefore registered users have almost all posted something on the site. I'm guessing we have alot of one time hits and trolls in our 15k number.

And, don't you think that for someone who has been registered for less than two months on this forum that your tone could be a little less antagonistic of our forum members?
I'm a Z owner, and that has NOTHING to do with this site...I have every right to voice my concerns as my insurance rates will be adversley affected due to the extraordinary number of Z accidents.

Someone who wrecked their Z should get some sympathy not your complaints of rising insurance costs. What, you've never been in an accident?
I've been in two accidents in my life; rear-ended twice (i'm 29). Neither were my fault. I have sympathy for those that get into accidents that were not due to their own negligence. Others that get into accidents racing etc get no sympathy from me. Sorry!
Old 03-24-2003, 01:17 PM
zeroday

Originally posted by 9000RPMZ
Get off your high horse brah.

If you are paying for your car, drive it the way you want; just be prepared to face the consequences of your actions >> ie. DEATH, MONETARY LOSS, EMBARASSMENT, DEATH TO INNOCENT PEOPLE (JAIL).
In a perfect world where your actions didn't affect others, this would be true. Consequences of street racing include killing other uninvolved people and affecting other people's insurance rates.

Street racing has been around since the dawn of the automobile, and it will be here till the demise of the automobile. Just because you are older and more "responsible" does not mean everybody has to abide by your definition of how to be a safe driver.
First off, street racing is illegal. It's not my definition, it's the law. Secondly, I never said 'don't ever street race'. I think there are different degrees of stupidity when it comes to street racing. Lets face it, all of it is stupid...it's just a matter of HOW stupid. We've all been somewhat stupid at one point or another. I'm not saying I never street raced. With my post I was specifically speaking to the people who have never had a sports car with this much power before; usually under 25 year olds that don't know how to drive the car very well that think they're racer-x and end up racking up their cars when they get in over their heads in a street race. I don't see the older members of this forum destroying their Z's...
Old 03-24-2003, 01:20 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Re: Stop Wrecking Your Z's People.

Acura-cl.com for one. They currently have 10,900 members. There are more ACTIVE users on that board. The problem with this site's 15k number is that in order to see any posts here at all here, you have to join. Because of this you end up with alot of inactive user accounts contributing to your numbers. This is not the case at acura-cl.com, all posts are viewable to guests, and therefore registered users have almost all posted something on the site. I'm guessing we have alot of one time hits and trolls in our 15k number.
I guess I should have said more than 15,000 members in a Z forum since we're talking about Zs and not Acuras. But, your point about the number of active users is well-taken. I don't know if there are more Acura accidents than Z accidents. My guess is that there are more Acura accidents simply because there are more Acura CLs currently being driven than 350Zs.

I'm a Z owner, and that has NOTHING to do with this site...I have every right to voice my concerns as my insurance rates will be adversley affected due to the extraordinary number of Z accidents.
No argument from me that you have every right to voice your concerns. Whether there is an extraordinary number of Z accidents, I don't know if that's accurate without some evidence of that allegation.

I've been in two accidents in my life; rear-ended twice (i'm 29). Neither were my fault. I have sympathy for those that get into accidents that were not due to their own negligence. Others that get into accidents racing etc get no sympathy from me. Sorry!
Agree with that.
Old 03-24-2003, 02:17 PM
buzzdsm

Originally posted by ares
there is a large amount of accidents, and I could compare it to clubsi, which has like 30000members.

however our insurance rates are already almost double what theirs is, so the better comparison would be to a supra, rx7, mustang, or corvette forum. the insurance might go up some, but its already rated where they expect it to land...

I had a 2000 Si and my insurance is less with the Z. This might have to do with me being 31 though.
Old 03-24-2003, 02:24 PM
UFO

I for one won't be street racing when mine shows up…I guess I don't have a need to feed my ego. I don't even street race on my bike. I do ride it fast, but that's out in the boonies. If I want to race I drag my sorry butt to a track day…but I doubt it…not worth the risk of destroying my beautiful machines.
Old 03-24-2003, 03:13 PM
WayneTN

I once felt that there were far too many Z accidents, and maybe there is. But, I don't think it's as bad as it seems.

Take the number of Z's sold, multiply by the average number of miles driven, and divide that by the number of estimated accidents. This will give you the number of miles driven per accident. I bet it's not that high, but is probably a lot higher than the average car.

Someone want to give it a shot?

WayneTN
Old 03-24-2003, 03:13 PM
icepig

What I don't like to see is hypocrisy.

Mr Zeroday rants on and on about people and their dangerous driving, street racing in particular. He is obviously quite upset at the [carelessness] shown by [a lot of, apparently] z drivers whose posts show up here. He then goes on to mention:

"I have admittedly street raced on rare occasion, but only to 60-65 mph and only in very rural areas of PA where there aren't many people/cars around."

He chastisizes those people who race their cars, then because he feels he is superior to other drivers, attempts to justify his own street racing. Apparently his own "rules" don't apply if he is behind the wheel. By the way, just because there aren't "many people/cars around," does it mean your reaction time and anticipation are so much better if someone or something happens to get in your way?
Old 03-24-2003, 04:46 PM
zeroday

Originally posted by icepig
What I don't like to see is hypocrisy.

Mr Zeroday rants on and on about people and their dangerous driving, street racing in particular. He is obviously quite upset at the [carelessness] shown by [a lot of, apparently] z drivers whose posts show up here. He then goes on to mention:

"I have admittedly street raced on rare occasion, but only to 60-65 mph and only in very rural areas of PA where there aren't many people/cars around."

He chastisizes those people who race their cars, then because he feels he is superior to other drivers, attempts to justify his own street racing. Apparently his own "rules" don't apply if he is behind the wheel. By the way, just because there aren't "many people/cars around," does it mean your reaction time and anticipation are so much better if someone or something happens to get in your way?
"Mr. Icepig", you missed my point completely if that's what you got from my posts. Superiority never entered the equation....I simply don't want my insurance rates to go up. I'm really not making some moral stand against street racing...even though it is a stupid thing to do...we all do stupid things now and then because they're often times fun. I admitted I had done it also on rare occasion...doesn't make it smart...and it doesn't make me a hypocrite...as I said earlier there are varying degrees of stupidity. Racing someone to 130mph in rush hour traffic is arguably more brainless than racing on a straightaway to 60mph from a stop light right?? I've street raced by the strict definition, but not like some of the posts i've seen in here where people are hitting 140 mph on public roads. I have never and would never do something so **incredibly** stupid.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:54 PM
Bobg

Go rant on your soapbox somewhere else. Do you really think your little diatribe is going to change someone's driving habits?This is a car enthusiast site for sport cars.
Old 03-24-2003, 05:00 PM
zeroday

Originally posted by Bobg
Go rant on your soapbox somewhere else. Do you really think your little diatribe is going to change someone's driving habits?This is a car enthusiast site for sport cars.
Go back to watching your F&F video boy racer.

edit: do you even OWN a Z???

Last edited by zeroday; 03-24-2003 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-24-2003, 05:18 PM
bigpickle

Regardless of your message, who are you! Your first post IMO is a bit out of line.
Old 03-24-2003, 05:23 PM
zeroday

Originally posted by bigpickle
Regardless of your message, who are you! Your first post IMO is a bit out of line.
care to elaborate on what was out of line about it? and lets not start on notoriety around here with your whopping 10 posts.
Old 03-24-2003, 05:34 PM
bigpickle

Accidents happen is all I'm saying, deal with it! No nead to get pissy. If you really think points makes the man you need to get out more.
Old 03-24-2003, 05:42 PM
zeroday

Originally posted by bigpickle
Accidents happen is all I'm saying, deal with it! No nead to get pissy. If you really think points makes the man you need to get out more.
Pissy? LOL. Points making the man?...dude what the hell are you talking about??

Quick Reply: Stop Wrecking Your Z's People.