Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good age to own a Z

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 07:24 AM
dbasal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeper78
How are you on your 7th car already and you're 19? You change cars every 6mo?? I'm turning 28 in 2 weeks, and I'm on my 2nd vehicle. Didn't get my first one until I was 22, traded it in for the Jeep. Z will hopefully be my 3rd.
Probably accidents or he gets bored really easy.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:24 AM
20"makavelli

i say if you can afford a Z by yourself then go for it!! i bought mine by myself at 17, now im 19 and this car does not have one scratch on it (shes my baby girl)
Old 12-19-2006, 08:35 AM
Jonathan Allyn

Originally Posted by Agnst The Grain
BS!!! no way in this universe can u go 50mph over the speed limit n not get a ticket or worse your car towed by a State trooper no less. you must have bribed your *** off. that is unbelievable. i kno u must have shyt urself lol.

but anywayz here in jersey it is like impossible to get your lisence b4 18 with all the new laws and regulations and high *** insurance. but personaly i 8 points on my lisence got caught speeding 3x but twice was some bullshyt but one time yeah i was speeding. 2 other bs tickets for cops bein dicks. n this was all in like my focus, or my old '89 accord, '97 chrysler cirrus, and like a '93 oldsmobile. i've been driving since i was 17 and i'ma be 22 in january so about 5 years under my belt and i'm saving up for my Z.

I originaly wanted either an M3 or STI but they are both 2 expensive and the newer models will be out in '08. I never had a car in my name and with my driving record my car insurance is gonna be min $5000 every 6 months freakin jersey insurance. but i've learned to be responsible even tho i was racing on saturday. i beat a Honda Prelude in my Ford Focus ZTS that was fun. When I get the Z i will be careful but i will race my boy he has a RSX Type S and he is always jokin on my focus so i'll show him
You sound like a real winner...
Old 12-19-2006, 08:48 AM
Agnst The Grain

Originally Posted by jonathanallyn
You sound like a real winner...
Old 12-19-2006, 09:02 AM
BavariaMotorist

Originally Posted by bb1314
I don't get it.. why do you need to be "mature" to drive it a Z? If you're immature, regardless of what car you're driving, it's still harmful to the public. I just don't get the whole.. you need to be at "this" age to be eligible to drive the Z. Sounds like me like an old men bs to keep the kids low profile.
Fo shizzle
Old 12-19-2006, 09:44 AM
ohSIXz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zs should be drivin by 10 year olds. and if i ever have a son, im going to buy him an enzo on his 2nd birthday. please take a moment to breathe in the sarcasm, and also see how POINTLESS AND OVERDONE this STUPID thread is. jealousy IN ANY FORM is a DEADLY sin.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:43 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

16 year old kids do not belong behind the wheel of 300 HP cars. Period. Most of us have 350's becasue we like to push it on occasion; it is not the age that is the problem, it is the lack of driving experience. I am pretty sure I can handle a dicey situation much better now than when I was 16, and 300 HP can get you into a dicey situation pretty quickly. (BTW, I'm thinking this thread contains an awful lot of BS)
Old 12-19-2006, 02:17 PM
wckdclw

well eclipse rs.....rear ended sum 1 n totaled it......then a corsica as just a temp car....then a neon which i bagged then sold.....then my eclipse gst spyder which i loved but got bored n sold it...then a dakota, then a bagged s-10.....now a z.....so i dunno...i lose intrest quick in some cars.....i love my z tho...but ive only had it 4 3 weeks so well c how it goes.....1st time ive had 2 pay payments tho...figured that was good 4 my credit
Old 12-19-2006, 02:38 PM
zforce

Originally Posted by PerfZ
16 year old kids do not belong behind the wheel of 300 HP cars. Period.
Kid's can get hurt or hurt some else with a 100hp car just as easily as with a 300+hp car. Whether they can handle it depends on the kid and it depends on their parents and the kid's experience. There's a guy on this board, race4it, who has 2 kids with Z's with over 500whp and they handle well. I've met them and they have their s**t together. They got them when they were 15 since he took them to south carolina to get their liscenses. Here's a post from race4it from another thread that I thinks sums it it....

Originally Posted by race4it
As for the cars, you're absolutely right, and I've read the many negative threads on this site about teenagers having high-powered Z's. There is no doubt that my kids are very fortunate in this regard, and I’ve had to pay close attention to how they've handled the luxury of motorsports and fast cars since they first started racing at about age 8 or 9 (they are 16 and 17 now). As many have correctly pointed out in other threads, the risk of this type of privilege producing an arrogant, self-righteous teen is high, and the danger of letting a teenager (my kids were 15 when they got their license) drive a 500-600RWHP car on the streets/track can end in the worst kind of disaster. The truth be told, it still scares me when they head out at night, but I believe the risks can be managed down to acceptable levels (though it took a while to convince my wife of that).

My goal with the cars/racing was to keep them close and busy on the weekends (I was a REAL BAD hell-raiser as a teen/20’s so I know what the alternative is and I know whose genes my boys got), teach them how to be disciplined and handle frustration (Nothing does this better than motorsports. Try slamming the wall on the last lap right before you take the checker because of a rookie lap car and see what you learn about frustration), and give them a taste of some of the finer things in life (like Z's) that you can get with hard work.

And while over the years, both boys have lost their car/racing privileges a number of times (grades, arrogance, temper, disrespect, etc), all and all they've handled it well and learned from it; and I believe they're both well on their way to becoming great adults who understand and appreciate the importance of humility and the difference between a right and a privilege.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:48 PM
HighwaySpeed

Originally Posted by mondi
im a server over here in maryland and i make about 800-1000 a week. i am 18 and i bought my Z about a month ago.

I drove SUV's...got pulled over (going 107 on a 55mph) and got off with a warning by a state trooper.
So, what kind of drugs do you serve?

Old 12-19-2006, 02:52 PM
striker27

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should buy a Z as soon as you can afford it. If that is not the case you should buy a Z as soon as you can find someone to buy it for you. If that does not work steal a Z and drive it till you get caught I guess. I am an older guy and I want to go as fast as I can plus I want o run old ladies with walkers down and all the damn teenagers. Hell for that matter nayone who is under 21 unless she has a great pair of knockers and a tight behind.. YEAH RUN THEM OLD BAGS AND KIDS DOWN THEY ARE ALL SCUM!!!!!

Last edited by striker27; 12-19-2006 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:59 PM
SighOh

depends on the person

i can admit that ive caught myself driving recklessly before in my baby

but if you can afford it, more power to you
Old 12-19-2006, 03:18 PM
hardrock905

Over 20.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:41 PM
dbasal

Old 12-19-2006, 08:01 PM
md350

Originally Posted by HighwaySpeed
So, what kind of drugs do you serve?

Restaurants can definitely bring in some money....I make about that much too. Generally $15-$25 an hour.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:17 PM
horse110

^ My friend as a server in Olive Garden makes minimum wage...where do you work that pays you $15-25?
Old 12-20-2006, 01:30 AM
Vegas350Z

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
The right age to buy a Z is when your brain can control your right foot; for most people that's probably north of 21.
^ ^ Nuff said.

. . .I also agree with the jealousy comment earlier in the thread. It really sounds as though some of you may be just jealous that some one younger (or what you believe to be too young) is driving this beautiful car. Let it go. It's probably their dads car, and if it's not, oh well.

-That and being capable of making your OWN payments on your Z and YOUR name is the MAIN or only name on the title gives you something called responsibility which sometimes help even those who are younger (south of 21) to have respect for their car as well as other drivers on the road and make rational, good decisions when driving.

-I'm 25 and just bought my Z a month and a half ago. My first and only car till that point was a '99 Honda Accord.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:35 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by horse110
^ My friend as a server in Olive Garden makes minimum wage...where do you work that pays you $15-25?
Your friend must be a ****ty server to get no TIPS!
Old 12-20-2006, 02:17 AM
ral
Z-BIRU

I got my Z roadster 9 months ago, I'm 19 right now. Well, my dad was the one who fully paid it and gave it to me (I'm only an international student), and he also paid for the insurance. I can't tell whether I am too young or not, but I love my Z and I took a good care of it, no speeding tickets at all.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:43 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

race4it sounds like a great dad, the exception rather than the general rule of having teenage drivers in the family. His post and mine actually have more agreements than disagreements as I was trying to focus on experience, not age. The average driver does not get driving experience starting at age 8 or 9; the average driver gets his license at 16 or so after fulfilling the state requirement of 50 or so hours of behind the wheel driving. My daughter is 17 - she had to pass MY driving test before taking the state test. She is a straight A senior in HS, accepted at several good colleges, works part time and has not had a ticket or incident in her 1st 18 months of driving. And there is no way in hell she is going to drive MY Z. But to each their own. Age is still just a number, it's all about experience.

Quick Reply: Good age to own a Z