Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

my car in a magazine....

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 07:39 AM
THE TECH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vertical doors aren't gonna win you any prizes...maybe a bowl of rice. For some reason your car looks pretty high off the ground. I think it looked better before the new paint and big wing.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:42 AM
azula

very nice car, a lot of effort went into that....i like man. however, paint the hood the same color as the two tone, get some work wheels, and ur set.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:36 AM
12AutoX

The front end is a bunch of mismatched colors between the colored lenzes, two tone bumper and hood. Nothing matches or flows up there. Nice parts, but you need a paint job that works with your car's lines.
+1 on the chrome wheels not matching either.
The other thing mags are looking at these days are exclusivity- one off parts, custom fabrication, and the amount of thought that went into selecting the right combination of parts to make a vehicle that is greater than the sum of said parts. The opposite of bolt-on bling. The car is really nice, and I appreciate the work/money that went into it. But it looks like a bunch of nice mismatched parts instead of the product of a thought out project. Fixing the front end would do a lot for the car to blend the lines.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:40 AM
Driven1
Professional

What will get you in a mag (other than collage pics, which still isn't that easy) is something that separates you from the rest. IMO the interior needs alot of work to be what many people consider a "magazine car". The blue hoses in the engine needs to go to black (they just don't blend with the scheme). And the wheels are a little common.

With that said, please don't take that perosnally. I REALLY like your car and what you have done with it. And in all honesty your pockets have to be extremely deep and you have to have some connections to have an unsponsored car make a mag.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:01 AM
ZSpectrum

no offense but the interior just doesnt look complete, almost thrown together. I really am diggin the outside, but paint the rims darker. I love the outside. The interior needs a tad bit of work. Some new seats would look sick.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:40 AM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Magazine worthy? I personally don't think so... unless you consider ebay a magazine. I've seen some cars like that on ebay (no joke).

Visually it looks cluttered and messy to me... not sleek and sexy... I don't dig the colored headlights, the red pinstripe, the two tone thing you have going on. The hood is not painted and doesn't match, and the bumper is hard to look at.

You could pull it off much better with just a little more work... you're well on your way at least.

Last edited by roast; 12-19-2006 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:37 PM
Anthony C

Originally Posted by zul8r
hey guys is my car magazine queality?? I still have to paint my rims, do suspension, and some other stuff but you can get the basic ideas...what do you think??? How do I go about getting in one???... My car and a list of mods can be seen on this thread...https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/232367-fi-video-and-pic-thread.html

let me do the photoshoot for you and ill get you hooked up... after its tuned bring it out to the meet next time...
Old 12-20-2006, 06:21 AM
zul8r

Thanks for the opinions guys...the interior is FAR from complete. Im redoing the whole thing next month probably w/ the grey /black scheme. Hey Anthony the car will be back here in February and I'll contact you as soon as its back I'm really looking forward to doing some work with you
Old 12-20-2006, 06:55 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a tough call. I know people who have spent MAD money on their car and can't seem to get it any press. The Z has been out for awhile now and there are gobs of heavily modified cars out there just like yours with all the standard store bought modifications. Cars that make magazines have CUSTOM work done to them including paint/wheels/interior, or they're sporting new products or hard to find products.

The other thing I think is that the design of the car must flow. It's hard to "build" a car and not make it LOOK like a bunch of aftermarket parts put together. OEMs work hard at making cars look a single piece of machinery instead of a bunch of different systems put together. When you have different color body panels, multi-color body panels, silver wheels that are different silver than the silver paint on the car, blue hoses, headlights are yet another color, it just looks "choppy". Sometimes elegant is simple. If you want to see an excellent example, go look at Jordans car from Team Emotion. My Z when I had it was nothing too fantastic and the interior was almost stock, but it was the feature car for Nissan Performance Magazine in March (http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/march06/feature/), I think largely because it just flowed well....

The body is one color, the vinyl, the wheels, the brushed aluminum trim pieces all match. The engine/batt/brake covers match the body color and the prominent under hood color is black, which matches the tires, the window tint, the interior.

Your car looks great, you just need to bring it together so it flows like a single entity, not a group of distinct pieces and you'll make some headway.

Good luck!
Old 12-20-2006, 10:20 AM
bofa

Originally Posted by kcobean
It's a tough call. I know people who have spent MAD money on their car and can't seem to get it any press. The Z has been out for awhile now and there are gobs of heavily modified cars out there just like yours with all the standard store bought modifications. Cars that make magazines have CUSTOM work done to them including paint/wheels/interior, or they're sporting new products or hard to find products.

The other thing I think is that the design of the car must flow. It's hard to "build" a car and not make it LOOK like a bunch of aftermarket parts put together. OEMs work hard at making cars look a single piece of machinery instead of a bunch of different systems put together. When you have different color body panels, multi-color body panels, silver wheels that are different silver than the silver paint on the car, blue hoses, headlights are yet another color, it just looks "choppy". Sometimes elegant is simple. If you want to see an excellent example, go look at Jordans car from Team Emotion. My Z when I had it was nothing too fantastic and the interior was almost stock, but it was the feature car for Nissan Performance Magazine in March (http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/march06/feature/), I think largely because it just flowed well....

The body is one color, the vinyl, the wheels, the brushed aluminum trim pieces all match. The engine/batt/brake covers match the body color and the prominent under hood color is black, which matches the tires, the window tint, the interior.

Your car looks great, you just need to bring it together so it flows like a single entity, not a group of distinct pieces and you'll make some headway.

Good luck!
That car is what got me hooked into modding the Z. Too bad I bought the 06 a few months before you sold it because I would have definitely bought that.
Love the Milanos and they look hot on the silver too.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:18 PM
furiousZ

Get a chick to pose by your car, just like previously mentioned.

You can probably have a few pages for it. But you should consider a new paintjob or something. Why do you have a red streak coming from your headlight? Looks like your Z is bleeding.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:02 PM
zul8r

Okay I'm not sure what you guys mean by so many different colors/parts...The kit is meant to go together, I got a veilside wing/hood which btw veilsside also makes blitz(my bodykit was in a veilside box), the lighting was blacked out to match the cf/black top, and the hood doesnt stand out as much in person so I kinda get what you guys mean but I think once I get the wheels painted and the cf engine cover/black hoses(which I forgot to mention I already ordered) It will flow just fine. My whole scheme was to not do what everybody else does to their Z yet keep it clean and I'm trying my *** off.....