2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Hurricanes and Z's

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 06:02 AM
scardeal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hurricanes and Z's

Howdy friends and neighbors!

I'm from the New Orleans area, so I suppose y'all can sympathize with my situation. I'll be in the market for a new car in the next couple months, and the Z is currently high on my list.

Because I would be using this as a daily driver, I'd be using this as my getaway car for any unholy spawn(s) of Katrina. My biggest concern is whether my PowerMac G5 will fit flat into the oddly shaped hatch area. A picture of it would be optimal, but anyone's opinion who's thrown one back there would be great. Otherwise, anyone who's dumped a large computer tower in the back would be reassuring. I think that if that'd fit into the hatch, I can throw my monitor (LCD), personal paper documents, and some clothes into the passenger seat/rest of the hatch without much hassle.

As an aside, I currently drive an 02 Sentra SE-R. If anyone has experience w/ both a Z and the SE-R, how does the ride quality compare? New Orleans has horrible roads.

Last edited by scardeal; 12-20-2006 at 06:10 AM.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:14 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've experienced those NO roads although it has been a while... The Z is pretty harsh, especially mine being an 03. Never rode in the revised suspension so I can't really say how much of a difference it makes.

I'm not really sure of the size of the computer you're using so I can't comment on that. The hatch isn't exactly super tiny but you don't have much room in the rear on the hatch because of height. You can fit taller things in the hatch near the seats but it will block your view if its too tall.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:16 AM
scardeal

Originally Posted by blasian
I'm not really sure of the size of the computer you're using so I can't comment on that. The hatch isn't exactly super tiny but you don't have much room in the rear on the hatch because of height. You can fit taller things in the hatch near the seats but it will block your view if its too tall.
I was planning on laying it on its side; I'm sorry that wasn't clear.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:23 AM
blasian

Then again... if this makes you feel any better which I don't know why I forgot to state this before. We used Dell PC's at work and I could fit some in the hatch
Old 12-20-2006, 06:36 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you need a vehicle for hauling stuff there are better choices than a performance sports car.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:44 AM
csZ

I put computers in the hatch of mine all the time. I've had everything from small PCs to servers in there and never had an issue. Now as for the roads up there that's another thing. I was there just a few weeks ago and that's all I could think about was having to drive my car up there with all those potholes everywhere. I think that the G5 your fine with just don't drop your car any.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:19 AM
scardeal

I'm glad to know it should be ok in terms of the computer

davidv, hauling stuff around is simply a fact of life for a daily driver, particularly in my case where it seems like I live out of my car... It's not like I'd be going to Home Depot to pick up 2x4's or anything. (Besides, if I need to do that, I'll borrow my dad's truck for an afternoon.) 2 cars is not an option for me right now. I just need to make sure it fits all my needs. If it does fit my needs, why not have it be a performance sports car? It's loads more fun than a Camry.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:13 AM
scardeal

If it's helpful, I just test drove a friend's RX-8 and found the ride on that to be much nicer than my 02 SE-R. How does the ride on the Z compare to either?

Last edited by scardeal; 12-20-2006 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:27 AM
DustinZ33

Greg Leblanc is really good. I have a good friend that works there.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:24 PM
Aeleven

Originally Posted by scardeal
I'm glad to know it should be ok in terms of the computer

davidv, hauling stuff around is simply a fact of life for a daily driver, particularly in my case where it seems like I live out of my car... It's not like I'd be going to Home Depot to pick up 2x4's or anything. (Besides, if I need to do that, I'll borrow my dad's truck for an afternoon.) 2 cars is not an option for me right now. I just need to make sure it fits all my needs. If it does fit my needs, why not have it be a performance sports car? It's loads more fun than a Camry.
The roads around the New Orleans Area will ruin your Struts in time, If your a starving artist, i would get a Subaru WRX. If you can handle the repairs down the road then get the Z, Leblanc Nissan Is the best Place to get your Z, I dont know about Ray Bradt but Premier Nissan is crappy they tried to swindle 2 people i know out of some money. Premier took their trade in's but delayed in paying the last payment on the trade in ,getting the customer to pay for it or mess up your credit, then they make a hassle to get your money for that payment. They are really hard to haggle with too, its best to stay away. Get rid of that MAC and get a PC
Old 12-21-2006, 06:45 AM
scardeal

I'd say I'm not a starving artist, but the WRX is a contender anyway. As far as the trade in, I'm not going to be dependent on it to make the purchase, thankfully. I also fully intend to have my financing already worked out before I walk in the door.

BTW, the top contenders are currently WRX, A3 3.2 (b/c of DSG mostly), G35 coupe/sedan, 350Z, RX-8 and GTO. (That is, if I can find one new when I actually start banging down dealership doors. I'm still leery about Katrina leftovers.)