Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM'd you regarding oem bumper
Old 12-27-2006, 09:59 AM
HighwaySpeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Elohite
I was driving home on 580-E [going 70].

[This truck is shooting water onto my windshield] [so its hard to see] and on top of that it is also throwing rocks that I hear chipping at my windshield.

I decide to move one lane over; when [I give it some gas] my car goes from the fast lane but over steers into the shoulder a little.

I'm like **** and [brake] a little and then before i know im im spinning out of control.

God gave you a warning, This Time.

Last edited by HighwaySpeed; 12-27-2006 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:03 AM
Tay350z
Banned

lmao, Greatest thread title I've ever seen.

Sorry bout the Z.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:04 AM
TheSurgeon

Default There are always two sides to a situation..

I'm sorry to hear that. But the important thing is, you and your GF are OK.

Well, look on the bright side. With the insurance money, you can get some of those otherwise unjustifiable mods that you've always wanted, and end up with an even hotter Z.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:12 AM
HighwaySpeed

Exclamation

Originally Posted by zzz350
fat/worn tires and hydroplaning, go hand in hand. Definitely get some quality bad weather shoes for that bad boy.
+1
Old 12-27-2006, 10:16 AM
HighwaySpeed

Question

Originally Posted by zand02max
Sucks man, are you going thru insurance?
Originally Posted by Elohite
I dont know, because of my last ticket. I dont want it to go up more
What is the speed limit on 580-E?

You're a nice Young couple, Please drive more carefully!

Death Takes The Fun Out Of Life.

Last edited by HighwaySpeed; 12-27-2006 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:22 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+70 mph on a wet highway is always dangerous. I remember my first loss of friction event ... and the second. Those were in the suburbs of Chicago where every car is bumped, bruised, and rusting.

Glad everyone is alright and your Z will ride again.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:32 AM
z-u-later

Nothing like drifting in the rain . . . just goes to show you how stable a platform the Zs are. With other cars, especially SUVs, it would have most likely fllipped and rolled over several times. Just thank the Lord you and your GF are safe.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:39 AM
dbpoet

Try some G-Force KDW's like I have on my DB 03. No problems in the rain.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:47 AM
slam

Yes the Z is very stable...even though rocky fields!!

I lost control of my 350Z on the highway last Friday and it wasn't even raining. It's a long story but I"ll try to shorten it. I was on the highway going about 70ish and 2 full size vans in front of me were jacking around going like 45mph driving side by side so nobody could pass them. Well I was in a hurry to get home so I decided to pass those fools on the median (which was clear at the time) and go on about my buisness. I preceded to pass on the median and everything was fine until I noticed there was some dirt in the median up ahead and it was too late for me to avoid it so I just kept the car straight and made no steering inputs. Well after about 3 seconds of driving through the dirt the Z started to spin to the right. It really wasn't responding to my steering into the skid inputs and kept spinning heading right towards an Xtera that was in the right lane. I turned the wheel all the way to the left to avoid the Xtera (can't take out another Nissan now could I?) and the car spun all the way to the left taking me across the incoming traffic lanes (luckily there was no incoming traffic) and into a very bumpy & rocky "grass" field. I slid for about 200 yards though the field and came to a stop in a parking lot for a new housing complex (the makers of Tokyo Drift would've been proud...huge dust cloud and everything! Restarted the car and drove to a nearby gas station since I had basically exited the highway without an exit ramp I was in a small town. Checked my car for damage...had to pull out some branches from the wheel wells and my front bumper now has a 6 inch crack. There was also rocks and weeds stuck in my tire beads but somehow the tires stayed inflated! I grabbed a bite to eat at McDonalds and headed home. Needless to say I'll never do that again. A younger me would've passed the vans then slammed on the brakes in front of them either forcing them into the ditch or rear-end me.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:15 AM
HighwaySpeed

Originally Posted by slam
Yes the Z is very stable...even though rocky fields!!

I lost control of my 350Z on the highway last Friday and it wasn't even raining. It's a long story but I"ll try to shorten it. I was on the highway going about 70ish and 2 full size vans in front of me were jacking around going like 45mph driving side by side so nobody could pass them. Well I was in a hurry to get home so I decided to pass those fools on the median (which was clear at the time) and go on about my buisness. I preceded to pass on the median and everything was fine until I noticed there was some dirt in the median up ahead and it was too late for me to avoid it so I just kept the car straight and made no steering inputs. Well after about 3 seconds of driving through the dirt the Z started to spin to the right. It really wasn't responding to my steering into the skid inputs and kept spinning heading right towards an Xtera that was in the right lane. I turned the wheel all the way to the left to avoid the Xtera (can't take out another Nissan now could I?) and the car spun all the way to the left taking me across the incoming traffic lanes (luckily there was no incoming traffic) and into a very bumpy & rocky "grass" field. I slid for about 200 yards though the field and came to a stop in a parking lot for a new housing complex (the makers of Tokyo Drift would've been proud...huge dust cloud and everything! Restarted the car and drove to a nearby gas station since I had basically exited the highway without an exit ramp I was in a small town. Checked my car for damage...had to pull out some branches from the wheel wells and my front bumper now has a 6 inch crack. There was also rocks and weeds stuck in my tire beads but somehow the tires stayed inflated! I grabbed a bite to eat at McDonalds and headed home. Needless to say I'll never do that again. A younger me would've passed the vans then slammed on the brakes in front of them either forcing them into the ditch or rear-end me.
LOL!
Old 12-27-2006, 11:23 AM
Zmazing03

Haha. Oh man. You should have known that would not have ended up well.

To the OP, good to know you are both safe. I personally NEVER drive 70 in the rain, this car is scary enough at 60. I've got Bridgestones so I am not running the POS Potenzas, but any tire its scary. I've never drove a car before that I had a deathgrip on the wheel while driving in the rain.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:30 AM
Eddie@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Glad you're ok, i guess the VDC doesnt always help you i guess.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:34 AM
slam

Originally Posted by Eddie@Performance
Glad you're ok, i guess the VDC doesnt always help you i guess.
I'm not sure if the thread starter had VDC...I have a base model so all I have is my skills....so uumm yeah..... pray for me!
Old 12-27-2006, 11:39 AM
saidog24

yikes, glad you are ok!!
Old 12-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Fletch69z

Damn that sucks but it looks repairable.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:49 PM
350 Rookie
Banned

shiznit. i can relate to you except i spun out over 3 lanes. lol good luck on everything.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:01 PM
GalvatronType_R

Just like any other high performance sports car, the Z is best used on dry roads. Unless you have an Evo, STI, or 911 C4, slowing down in a RWD is a must.

With me, even with my Z on all season rubber, I still drive slower even in semi-wet drizzly conditions. You're lucky you both came out of it unscathed but take this as a lesson learned and SLOW DOWN.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:17 PM
slam

It's a shame to have to be so cautious with a car in the rain. I remember back in '99 I got stuck in a big thunderstorm on my yamaha R1. I was on the freeway @ the time and it was raining like hell. I was easily going 65mph - 75mph on my bike on the way home with no traction problems at all. I was riding through deep puddles and everything and the bike was fine...just couldn't really lean over and had to be smooth. What I'm getting at is my motorcycle had better rain performance than my 350Z. That's pretty sad. Motorcycle tire technology is pretty advanced though....motorcycle racers race in the rain and still go very fast. They can even drag their knees in the corners. Yet, nobody can make a RWD sportscar that doesn't spin out on a wet road if you go above 55mph?

Quick Reply: Almost Died: Hydroplaned on Freeway Across 5 Lanes Spinning