Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Wheels or Get an LSD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 11:53 AM
blap0220

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Wheels or Get an LSD?

Hi Everyone, just seeking advice here on whether I should get new wheels or LSD?
I have a 2006 base Z right now with no diff and stock wheels. The options I'm debating are to get fatter (better looking) wheels or to get the Quaife LSD. I've heard from some people that once you get fatter wheels, the need for LSD is reduced. Agree? Will I be able to accelerate out of corners better with fatter better gripping tires? Which mod will result in a more noticeable performance gain?
I'm estimating that the wheels will only cost me around $500-800 since I plan on selling my oem wheels and needed to get a new set of tires anyways. The Quaife LSD will cost me around $1800 including install. I don't want any other LSD because I can't stand weird noises.
With new wheels, I get better performance AND better looks. With LSD, I only get better performance, but if the performance gain is much more than what I would get with new wheels, then I'd have to consider it.
Opinions? Thanks
Old 12-29-2006, 12:00 PM
tmounk

rims, hands down
Old 12-29-2006, 12:28 PM
one350zfan

Originally Posted by blap0220
Hi Everyone, just seeking advice here on whether I should get new wheels or LSD?
I have a 2006 base Z right now with no diff and stock wheels. The options I'm debating are to get fatter (better looking) wheels or to get the Quaife LSD. I've heard from some people that once you get fatter wheels, the need for LSD is reduced.
Get both! I have an 03 Base and first did rims and they really didn't help out. I put 18x10's on the back with 275's and I was hitting worse 60' times than my buddy did with his touring model with bald factory size Ventus tires. I just bought a used VLSD pumpkin from a local shop called Turbo Toys for $475. They'll ship you one for $550. I'm installing the pumpkin myself but if you don't feel comfortable doing the install a shop should charge anywhere from $125-175. Now, you need to research if paying the $1200 more for the Quaife over the VLSD is worth it. I decided no because people are cutting good 60's on the VLSD.

I ran my car with 125 shot at the track and could only cut 1.9 60's on DR's because when you burn out one wheel spins and heats up. That caused the back of the car to sweep out on me at high speeds and I swore I wouldn't run again until I resolved this problem.

Turbo Toys supplies the axle stubs so its a direct bolt it. Then, you could probably sell your open diff. to people who are wanting the Quaife for a direct drop in.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:58 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

For performance get LSD. No tires no size will make up for the lack of LSD
Old 12-29-2006, 09:19 PM
Escobar

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

how much are axle stubs?
Old 12-30-2006, 04:45 AM
Docile

Gents...

I am considering getting a 04/05 Z so I am trying to do as much research as possible.

The question I have is why are you guys considering changing your factory LSD? Or is it U.S Z's dont come with LSD?

Many thanks
Nav
Old 12-30-2006, 05:03 AM
Devil Z

Carbonetics Carbon LSD ftw!!!

Everyone wants that right now it seems.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:58 AM
Nihilation

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just as an FYI, the Porsche Cayman is non-LSD and it hauls *** around a track. Would it be faster with one? Damn right it would...

Unless you track the car I'd say wheels.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:18 AM
deezz

wheels FTW
Old 12-30-2006, 07:35 AM
StewartZ

how much lsd cost
Old 12-30-2006, 08:37 AM
Escobar

A friend of mine has a Z who is selling the stock VLSD and I want to buy it from him ( I have the base) If I just get the axle stubs it will work ok? what are axle stubs?? thanks
Old 12-30-2006, 09:13 AM
jimster716

I wouldn't pay for an OEM VLSD. My car came with one and when I swapped it out for the Nismo unit the difference really exposed how not very good the VLSD is performance wise. I suppose it's better than an open diff but money would be better spent saving up for the mechanical diff.

What kind of performance gains are you looking for? Out of corner traction? I found the benefit of wheels and tires was understeer reduction entering into corners (wider than OEM tires in the front). The Nismo diff allows tighter corners with better torque distribution to the tire with the most traction.

Either way, you're not going to get what you're looking for in a straight this or that evaluation. Ideally you'd want both, just depends on what you can afford first IMO.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:02 PM
Flippantduke

Originally Posted by Docile
Gents...

I am considering getting a 04/05 Z so I am trying to do as much research as possible.

The question I have is why are you guys considering changing your factory LSD? Or is it U.S Z's dont come with LSD?

Many thanks
Nav
They are not changing out factory LSD. Base models do not have LSD. If you get an enthusiast model or better, your rear will be a LSD.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:13 PM
julian

if you go to the track (both road and drag) get the diff. you wouldn't want to track your big and expensive wheels either.

if you don't plan on ever going to a track get the wheels.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:30 PM
bofa

Go with the LSD. The 06 wheels look good. The only reason I got wheels first was because I had to replace a tire and curbed one of the OEM wheels. The LSD will have a much better effect than any width wheels/tires you put back there.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:46 PM
blap0220

Thanks for all the replies.

On that Porsche Cayman point, I was actually looking at that myself. They don't have LSD, but the have an Active Braking Differential which I think achieves the same results (probably much better than the VSLD).

What I'm looking for is to enjoy spirited driving around town more. I want to make my car more fun. I feel like I can't really push my car through corners as fast as I would like to and without being concerned about control. My wheels spin like crazy (maybe it's just one of them) when I drive for fun. Does it sound like I need LSD? I'm still gonna go with the Quaife if I do.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:45 AM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if you currently have a peg leg you definitely can't push 100% around corners... that much is given. Switching from an open differential to a quality LSD will be like night and day... you might even get yourself in trouble. I say get the LSD and keep your old tires for just a bit longer if you can. Have good tires ready for replacements. Have some "fun" with the old tires and the new LSD. Then throw the new tires on and you're officially golden.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:51 AM
Escobar

does anyone know where axle stubs can be bought?
Old 01-01-2007, 05:00 PM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blap0220
Thanks for all the replies.

On that Porsche Cayman point, I was actually looking at that myself. They don't have LSD, but the have an Active Braking Differential which I think achieves the same results (probably much better than the VSLD).

What I'm looking for is to enjoy spirited driving around town more. I want to make my car more fun. I feel like I can't really push my car through corners as fast as I would like to and without being concerned about control. My wheels spin like crazy (maybe it's just one of them) when I drive for fun. Does it sound like I need LSD? I'm still gonna go with the Quaife if I do.
If you get a LSD retrain your lead foot. If you are wildly spinning tires with an open diff and drive exactly the same when you change you may be posting one of those " i just spun my Z 5 times and hit a curb, almost hit someone, etc." posts. In a way the open diff works like traction control if you really put your foot down heavy at the wrong time. Be careful And good luck figuring out what to do
Old 01-01-2007, 07:08 PM
blap0220

Originally Posted by bjr
If you get a LSD retrain your lead foot. If you are wildly spinning tires with an open diff and drive exactly the same when you change you may be posting one of those " i just spun my Z 5 times and hit a curb, almost hit someone, etc." posts. In a way the open diff works like traction control if you really put your foot down heavy at the wrong time. Be careful And good luck figuring out what to do
Thanks, so will the back slide more with an LSD? that sounds fun,, hehe

Quick Reply: New Wheels or Get an LSD?