2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Parking Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007 | 12:53 AM
Z_Driver
Master
Premier Member

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
I agree with jrforrester on the ebrake warping rotors, warping usually occurs when you set hot pads or shoes on a hot drum/rotor. I don't think that is a problem with our semi independent drum ebrake, at least the shoes are never hot.

My driveway is an incline, if I don't put it in gear, it will be in the street in the morning.

If I remember right, if you use higher gears, the wheels can actually turn the motor over with the weight of the car on a hill. Its to late for me to remember exactly but I think the leverage is reversed when the torque is applied from the wheel side.

Chris
I agree. However, let me add. My driveway has a few degrees of slope. If I put either of my stick cars in 1st gear and let off the clutch without the ebrake the car will creep slowly towards the street. In reverse, nothing stays in place just fine. If I park on anything steeper than that I use the ebrake in conjunction with reverse. If I put me car in 2-6 It rolls pretty good down the drive.

Also folks, I had to adjust my ebrake. The ebrake from the factory adjustment wasn't so good. Unless I pulled really really hard it won't hold the car on any minor slope ... forget steep hill. I adjusted it so now it's much better. I still do not trust it and always make sure it's in gear when I park.

The drum ebrake will not warp the disc brakes. Like Chris said seperate system. Nice to have if you are going through shallow water. However, do not engage it on a freezing cold night like tonight. You won't be able to move your car in the morning. Lol. 19 degrees in Livermore, Ca tonight. Kold for us. Don't forget to crack the spickot tonight.
Old 01-13-2007 | 08:53 AM
GonZ

Originally Posted by Z_Driver
I agree. However, let me add. My driveway has a few degrees of slope. If I put either of my stick cars in 1st gear and let off the clutch without the ebrake the car will creep slowly towards the street. In reverse, nothing stays in place just fine. If I park on anything steeper than that I use the ebrake in conjunction with reverse. If I put me car in 2-6 It rolls pretty good down the drive.

Also folks, I had to adjust my ebrake. The ebrake from the factory adjustment wasn't so good. Unless I pulled really really hard it won't hold the car on any minor slope ... forget steep hill. I adjusted it so now it's much better. I still do not trust it and always make sure it's in gear when I park.

The drum ebrake will not warp the disc brakes. Like Chris said seperate system. Nice to have if you are going through shallow water. However, do not engage it on a freezing cold night like tonight. You won't be able to move your car in the morning. Lol. 19 degrees in Livermore, Ca tonight. Kold for us. Don't forget to crack the spickot tonight.

I'm just curious as of how you adjusted your ebrake.
Old 01-13-2007 | 09:12 AM
NA$TY

This age old question comes down to this:

1. Do you want to risk possible damage to your transmission over long term use of putting the car in gear while parked?

2. Do you want risk wrecking your car if the e-brake cuts loose?
Old 01-13-2007 | 09:20 AM
Zmazing03

the only place i park with just the e-brake is in my garage and i only do like 3 clicks.
3 clicks? Might I ask what the point of that is? On maybe a 10% incline, the Z will roll with 3 clicks.

My process goes like this:
1. Pull EBrake, car is not in gear
2. Turn of the car
3. Put car in 1st or Reverse depending on the hill (if any)

I rarely park the Z without using both. Maybe on an extremely flat surface I will just use the EBrake.

PS - using 6th gear while parked is pointless. Go to a big hill and put the Z in 6th gear and let off the gas, and see how fast the engine will allow you to go. Probably 50-60 mph at least. Then try it with 1st gear. You will be lucky if you break 10 mph. See the difference?
Old 01-13-2007 | 11:26 AM
DaveZ06

Blocks on tire + ebrake = Magic
Old 01-13-2007 | 11:39 AM
QuicksilverZ33

Shouldn't it be easier for the car to roll in 6th then it is in 1st due to the gear ratio's?
Old 01-13-2007 | 11:48 AM
horse110

I always park with E-Brake and 1st gear on flat ground and hill.
Old 01-13-2007 | 12:12 PM
AZZGUY

Default transmission damage

Originally Posted by NA$TY
This age old question comes down to this:

1. Do you want to risk possible damage to your transmission over long term use of putting the car in gear while parked?

2. Do you want risk wrecking your car if the e-brake cuts loose?

I have never damaged a transmission by constantly putting my car in park while parked. Of course I usually put the parking brake on first - which might negate any pull against the transmission while parked.
Only once did I have a problem - I must have forgotten to pull the parking brake. I was sitting in my kitchen next to the carport where my Nissan truck was parked. I glanced out the window - the truck was gone. My drive had a decent slant to it. Going outside I discovered my truck in the side yard of my neighbor across the street. As it rolled back it evidently veered a bit to the left, glazing my mail box and missing the drive across the street where a newer Cadillac was parked. TALK ABOUT LUCK!! l