Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Blind spot!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 07:04 PM
DaveZ06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you look over your shoulder like the drivers handbook tells you to do? Or atleast stick your head out the window and check out the blinds?? Atleast your okay
Old 01-15-2007, 07:37 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Its been awhile since I last head from you ZRA, and this is one hell of a comeback. Sorry about the car. You are right: the rear passenger side is almost invisible.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:39 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by ZRA
Went to change lanes. Checked my outside rear view mirror, signaled and started to turn whem wham! Had truck in my blind spot.Truck hit my rear fender and tore up the left side of my 05 350Z. Truck spun me around. I
wasn't hurt but shook up a little. Took a month and a half to get back my ride, (Nov. 15 - Dec. 29). Cost my Ins. Co. 8400 bucks. The Z does have blind spots. Take care good people!!
I agree with you (your statement: “The Z does have blind spots”) and with the others who kindly posted to this thread explaining (with good directions on “How to do this.” as well as the link posted by a Forum Moderator providing specific instructions about setting your mirrors.) I believe that the best advice is setting the mirrors correctly (as explained in the link posted by the Moderator), but adding the slightly forward rocking (suggested by some Forum members) while checking the appropriate mirror (left, right, rearview, or all) before executing your lane change. That maneuver completely eliminates the blind spot. Notice that setting the mirrors incorrectly (to far rearward as per specs in the link), and then rocking forward makes it worse (you can completely lose the car on your side and put it deeply into your blind spot).

I never look over my right shoulder (or just as bad, my left shoulder) to supplement the view in my mirrors. Looking over your shoulder forces you to completely divert your forward view, changes your orientation, and could end up badly when something you need to see quickly is happening in front of you. You are moving much faster “to the front” than you are “to the side.” Rear-end crashes happen when drivers are looking to the left, right, or rear instead of looking ahead (forward).

Here is how I do this in my Z coupe (not saying that it is the right way, just how I do it):

1) The rearview mirror orientation in the Z is different than most other cars. I set my rearview mirror so that I see a ways behind (which means you are going to see at least about a third to half of your headliner when you align the rearview mirror for optimum rearward view – weird and different from other cars, but that’s how it works best in the Z).
2) I set my right door mirror and my left door mirror so that I see the car passing me on either side come into view on the appropriate side mirror before I lose that car from my view in the rearview mirror (i.e, I can now see the vehicle on my side in both the rearview mirror and the appropriate side mirror). Once the other car is passing me or at my side, and I can longer see the car in my rearview mirror, I can still see the car in my side mirror (left side mirror or right side mirror), and I can see the car with my own peripheral vision (out of my own eyes). This way there is no blind spot, and the car at my side is always visible.

Since I never want to have a car next to me (and possibly in my “blind spot”) that I will pull into, I set the mirrors slightly outward to what I describe above, and rock just a little forward (as other people posting here suggest). That way, you won’t miss a car that is on your side.

But there is another ugly blind spot on the Z. I’ll describe this in a following post to your thread (I’m a little tired, so maybe I’ll do that tomorrow).

BTW …Good thread. Thanks for posting. --Spike
Old 01-16-2007, 01:17 PM
ZRA

Thanks to all! I've adjusted my mirrors and I noticed quite an improvement. Before, I could hide an 18 wheeler when the mirrors weren't adjusted right. Been driving for 49 years and this was the hardest ride to get the mirrors right. Talk about blind spots, sit in a Lambo!!
Old 01-16-2007, 03:45 PM
iceburns288

I have no blind spots on my car. I followed that exact same mirror-aligning guide several months ago when someone sent it to me.

I haven't done a shoulder check when changing lanes in 6 months (and I've had my car 7 months).
Old 01-16-2007, 04:10 PM
HighwaySpeed

Originally Posted by ZRA
Went to change lanes. Checked my outside rear view mirror, signaled and started to turn when wham! Had [a truck in my blind spot.]

[The Z does have blind spots.]

Before, [I could hide an 18 wheeler] when [the mirrors weren't adjusted right.]

Been driving for [49 years]

I check mirror/s, turn head, signal and change lanes when it's safe. When I make a mistake, I always blame myself. I've been hit 3 times and almost hit many times, by people improperly changing lanes.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:14 PM
drivenCSZ

yep, nobody to blame except yourself if you cut somebody off. adjusting the mirrors properly is a good start but on top of that if im ever unsure i turn my head and look. Even when i know there couldnt be anyone next to me i still turn my head sometimes. its a good habit.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:15 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's been driving for 50 years. Give grandpa a break. He's not as sharp as he was back in the good old days! LOL... Just messin with ya ZRA... Glad you survived to tell us about it. Be careful out there.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Richy350Z

rear fender = quarter panel
Old 01-17-2007, 04:01 PM
Zmazing03

I tried this mirror adjustment also. Its a little weird at first and I find myself moving my head a bit to be able to see the side of the car to judge a distance how far nearby traffic is. However, I will say, what I can see out the mirrors has increase substantially.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:11 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The trick to using this method is getting used to this... when you see a car in your rearview mirror, it's behind you and you can change lanes safely. When you see a car in either of the side mirrors, it's probably not safe to change because the front of that car will be very close to the back of yours. Obviously, when you see a car out the corner of your eye, it's right next to yours so you definitely shouldn't change lanes.

To best way to test it out is to drive in the middle lane of a three lane highway and drive slower than the other two lanes. You see cars approach from behind in the rearview mirror. As they are leaving the rearview mirror, they will start appearing in the side mirrors. As they leave the side mirrors, they will be seen out the corner of your eye through your side windows.

Just about everybody talks about seeing their own car in the mirror so they can judge the distance to the other vehicle. You don't need to do that, all you have to know is that when something is visible in the side mirror, it's in your way.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:06 PM
Spike100

Bingo!

Great way of explaining this. And, great way of explaining how to absolutely test your mirror position (Your words: "...To best way to test it out is to drive in the middle lane of a three lane highway and drive slower than the other two lanes...) --Spike
Old 01-17-2007, 05:21 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by roast
He's been driving for 50 years. Give grandpa a break. He's not as sharp as he was back in the good old days! LOL... Just messin with ya ZRA... Glad you survived to tell us about it. Be careful out there.
I realize you are just kidding, but I think you also make a very good point. (BTW: I notice you post a lot of good info … enjoy reading your stuff). I’m 57, and I am starting to see some bad things creeping into my driving (more about that later).

Here is what I’ve seen and learned during my 42+ years driving all sorts of vehicles. (NOTE: My comments apply to male drives and not ladies who, I believe, drive all together differently.)

AGE 15-19: You’re learning to drive, lack experience, and sometimes get into trouble because you depend mostly upon your great reaction time and not your experience at that age. You don’t “look ahead” because you haven’t the experience to know what to look for. ...Lots of accidents happen in this age group.

AGE 20-27: Now you are gaining experience, but probably drive a little aggressively since you have a lot of confidence (maybe “false confidence?”). ...Again, too many accidents but much less than the previous group.

AGE 28-34: This is the best combination of experience and reflexes. You can drive aggressively, but usually keep out of trouble because you apply the lessons you learned during the previous two stages. The accident rate in this group drops significantly.

AGE 35-49: You are gold. Your reflexes begin to degenerate, but your experience more than compensates for this. Notice how many great race car drivers are at their best from age 30 to deep into their 40’s. That shows that reaction-time in this occupation is not everything.

AGE 50-65: Reaction times start dropping and physical impairments come into play (e.g., aches and pains, stiffness, etc.) You can’t turn your head as easily as you could before when backing-up or doing lane changes. But, this age group generally drives very well. You become more careful, and you are operating on a wealth of experience.

Past AGE 65: It all depends upon your health, vision, genetics, how well you have taken care of yourself, and a lot of other things. The aging process comes into play here big time, and everyone is different.

Here is what I notice at my age. I sure don’t have the reaction time I had even 10 years ago (and I really miss what I had 20 years ago ). But, at least I know this. I know that the Z’s tremendous torque can potentially propel the vehicle (and me) into harm’s way very quickly. I do like TCS and VDC (saved me a couple of times), but I occasionally turn this off (it’s no fun driving like an old man all of the time, and who would buy a Z and always drive conservatively?).

The Z’s a great car and lots of fun to drive. You only need to know your limitations if you are very young, or starting to get a little older. And for sure, you gotta set those mirrors properly. Be safe. --Spike
Old 01-18-2007, 12:52 PM
Jonathan Allyn

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
The blind spots can be easily eliminated by adjusting your side mirrors properly. Check out this site for an example of how it's done...

http://www.motorists.com/issues/safe...t_mirrors.html
Nice read! Thanks for posting that. Ya the Z has horrible blindspots. I work for Honda and remember having a conversation with the Assisant VP of HFS and he was telling me that Honda does not porduce cars anymore with blindspots which is a huge challange for the production and design process. I thought that was interesting..
Old 01-18-2007, 03:30 PM
dbpoet

It's been a lot of years since I took drivers training in school but I still do 2 things I learned in that class. Alwys wear your seat belts and always check over your shoulder before changing lanes. I'm sure adjusting your mirrors will eliminate most of the blind spots but I always feel better if I look back.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:49 PM
md350

When I first drove the Z I felt it had the biggest blind spots of any car I'd been in. I'm used to it now though. I haven't done the mirrors like that, but I always lean forward and look back and out the driver window when changing lanes. I'll have to give that mirror setup a try.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:27 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my mirrors are set right, and i still move back and forth to see the wider angle, then turn my head also even if i think i am the only car on the road. only time i won't do this is if i am doing over 90, lol, cause then i know nobody is there. on a side note, if the passenger seat is slide back, it makes it nearly impossible to see out of the back side window to confirm no one is there when you turn to look back. always makes me abit sketchy.
never been in a wreck or fender bender in my life!!
Old 01-21-2007, 04:40 PM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

On top of all of this advice you should learn to "count cars" behind you also to make you a more alert driver. There should never be a time that a car can surprise you if you are giving driving your full attention. I'm not talking about focusing on behind you by the way. Just the quick rearview checks every now and then that you were supposed to learn in drivers training. Helps alot in addition to having all your mirrors set properly. Just another trick no one mentioned but I have heard before.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:55 PM
kh_08

Glad you're all right. I have small concave mirrors on the ouside corner of my mirrors (both sides) - they help out alot and I can't remember the last time I looked over my shoulder - even though I still do so when I drive any car other than my own. They've helped me a lot and I can see cars changing lanes into my original blind spot. Hope this helps - give it a try and tell me what you think.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:20 PM
pluckyduck

Originally Posted by camaro194
I always give a quick check over the shoulder if I'm ever unsure about changing lanes.
Yep, always check your mirrors first but then give a quick check over your shoulder before you actually switch lanes. I learned this a long time ago when I almost side-swiped a Mustang in my Eclipse. The mirrors in sports cars are small and you should not rely on them alone.

Quick Reply: Blind spot!