Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Blind spot!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 01:46 PM
ZRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blind spot!

Went to change lanes. Checked my outside rear view mirror, signaled and started to turn whem wham! Had truck in my blind spot.Truck hit my rear fender and tore up the left side of my 05 350Z. Truck spun me around. I
wasn't hurt but shook up a little. Took a month and a half to get back my ride, (Nov. 15 - Dec. 29). Cost my Ins. Co. 8400 bucks. The Z does have blind spots. Take care good people!!
Old 01-15-2007, 02:01 PM
gbart
Banned

damn sorry to hear that glad your ok and you got your Z back yeah i check my mirrors often when driving i try to know whats coming up whats around or what got on the highway, part because of cops and part so this doesnt happen and i still try to see the best i can when changing lanes.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:04 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The blind spots can be easily eliminated by adjusting your side mirrors properly. Check out this site for an example of how it's done...

http://www.motorists.com/issues/safe...t_mirrors.html
Old 01-15-2007, 02:49 PM
ZRA

Thanks for the replies. I'll check the adjustments on all the mirrors again!
Old 01-15-2007, 02:57 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The method in Dave's link above is exactly the way I was shown by my dad sometime back. In the Z as well as our tC, it completely eliminates the driver's side blind spot.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always give a quick check over the shoulder if I'm ever unsure about changing lanes.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:24 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by camaro194
I always give a quick check over the shoulder if I'm ever unsure about changing lanes.
That's the whole problem, the Z's blind spot is so large that you can't always see what's there, especially on the driver's side.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:32 PM
91LSMAN

Sorry to hear what happened. I've only driven my dad's Z once and the 1st thing I said to him was "WOW-this car has large blind spots."
Old 01-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Reality350

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
The blind spots can be easily eliminated by adjusting your side mirrors properly. Check out this site for an example of how it's done...

Damn I thought that was common sense, LoL!.
Good post regardless.

Cheers,

R
Old 01-15-2007, 03:57 PM
Barmats

I'm sorry to hear about your accident, but glad you weren't hurt. I use a small convex mirror mounted to the lower-left of the driver's mirror, and one on the passenger side mirror as well. It's a quick visual confirmation that I use in conjunction with turning to look, but it's also really helpful when parking -- the mirrors allow me to see the lines, and also help me avoid curb rash by staying away from the curbs.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:12 PM
Swiffer

That's the whole problem, the Z's blind spot is so large that you can't always see what's there, especially on the driver's side.
True. Between the side and rear mirrors, I typically dont need to turn my head back for confirmation. I still do it out of habit sometimes just to make sure.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:27 PM
horse110

I set my side mirrors to where I can see the side of my car but that's just a personally reference. The blind spot is never a problem for me, before i change lanes, simply move your body forward towards the steering wheel and look into the left/right mirror, this will change your view angle and will turn your vision towards the original blind spot. This method works well for me and gaurantee you'll see everything u just have to move ur body a little bit but those little body movements can keep me awake while driving. Just my 2cents.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:28 PM
horse110

^ Try this in ur garage if you're not 100% sure what I mean
Old 01-15-2007, 05:33 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

Originally Posted by horse110
I set my side mirrors to where I can see the side of my car but that's just a personally reference. The blind spot is never a problem for me, before i change lanes, simply move your body forward towards the steering wheel and look into the left/right mirror, this will change your view angle and will turn your vision towards the original blind spot. This method works well for me and gaurantee you'll see everything u just have to move ur body a little bit but those little body movements can keep me awake while driving. Just my 2cents.
absolutely, i was about to post the same thing.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:34 PM
roast

The Z does not have a significant blind spot. If your mirrors are adjusted properly it should not be an issue. It's funny how every time someone wrecks, they try to blame it on the car instead of the driver.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:42 PM
dbasal

+1

This is the perfect way to deal with it. Takes a little getting used to, but also makes those mirrors useful and gives you no blind spots. Drive with confidence.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:53 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by horse110
That's the way we were all taught for many years. The method described in my link above eliminates the need to lean or move around while driving - you only do it once when setting the mirrors.

When you have a split second to make a emergency lane change, by the time you lean one way or the other, with my method I've already checked my mirrors and made the lane change. Another thing I noticed was with the Z's tight steering, when moving around to check the mirrors, you tend to wander across lanes. That doesn't happen anymore either.

I drove for over 30 years with my mirrors the old way. When I bought this Z, it was obvious that wasn't going to cut it. After trying this new way for about two weeks I was totally sold on it. Not just in the Z, but this works in any car.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:59 PM
xalos1

No matter what anyone says and how the mirrors are positioned... The 350Z Roadster has blind spots in the blind spots...
Old 01-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Swiffer

Originally Posted by xalos1
No matter what anyone says and how the mirrors are positioned... The 350Z Roadster has blind spots in the blind spots...
Simple solution for that
Old 01-15-2007, 06:21 PM
AlexBG

sorry to hear....
glad you got it back....
i used the mirror way aswell.... its pretty useful and quick.
but damn it took them forever to fix it.

i wonder how long they will keep mine ... adjuster is coming to look at it tomorrow. I hope they dont take the Z away from me for like 2 months.

Quick Reply: Blind spot!