Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Looks like Im getting an STi

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 07:54 AM
Ghost 350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by modzs
Good luck with the transition. I think you'll regret it.

Do you ever say anything contructive?
Old 01-18-2007, 09:39 AM
azula

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dayum, i keep hearing all this talk about the STI and it's performance capabilities, is it THAT big of difference between the Z? I'm just curious....I would beat one anyways because I'm turbo (lol)....I just want to know stock for stock.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:42 AM
DaveZ06

Originally Posted by azula
dayum, i keep hearing all this talk about the STI and it's performance capabilities, is it THAT big of difference between the Z? I'm just curious....I would beat one anyways because I'm turbo (lol)....I just want to know stock for stock.
stock for stock with good drivers. Z will win. But the STI/EVO can get bigger and better power output then the Z since it's already a turbo car. All you need is a few cheap bolt ons into the STI/EVO and you already gained like 50awhp. But in the end.. the Z is a better and more classy car then the box.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:45 AM
98sr20ve

STI will own a -06 Z from a stop simply due to awd. Trap Speed that I have seen for the STI vary from 99mph to 104mph so it's a wash from a role
Old 01-18-2007, 09:48 AM
Def946

if you could snap a few photos that would be clutch...
thanks
Old 01-18-2007, 10:01 AM
azula

Originally Posted by DaveZ06
stock for stock with good drivers. Z will win. But the STI/EVO can get bigger and better power output then the Z since it's already a turbo car. All you need is a few cheap bolt ons into the STI/EVO and you already gained like 50awhp. But in the end.. the Z is a better and more classy car then the box.

oooh, they're turboed....(sorry not up on the competition)....that's real fair, the fact that an NA Z can run a turbo sti or evo is enough confidence for me, i can resume bragging....lol.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:55 AM
ZmanZZZ

This is what they think of us????????? I got this from a STI forum:

Sinister Subaru

Member #: 366

I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I don't even waste my time with 350Zs. Last season I watched a club of about 10-15 of them run, and the fastest one ran 14.40s @ 96mph.

Stock 350Zs are jokes. It's funny though the cars I find wanting to race the most are 350Zs.

I just do us both a favor and save gas by ignoring them.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Ghost 350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^that club has a ton of bad drivers

My first time at the track I ran 14.2 stock motor with 19s and im 5AT lol

From a dig an STI will own, from a roll its a drivers race plain and simple
Old 01-18-2007, 11:51 AM
Kabeetz

Originally Posted by ZmanZZZ
I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I don't even waste my time with 350Zs. Last season I watched a club of about 10-15 of them run, and the fastest one ran 14.40s @ 96mph.

Stock 350Zs are jokes. It's funny though the cars I find wanting to race the most are 350Zs.
I don't understand this kind of attitude. Pretty much anyone who could afford any of the three, could by definition afford any of the three. Some people prefer raw performance at the extense of style and aesthetics and some people want a more well rounded package.

I like driving fast, but I like driving a car I love to look at and love to be in just as much. And if I want to make it faster, I have the option to do that as well.

Those kinds of attitudes on all the forums are immature at best.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:35 PM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,446 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Originally Posted by plumpzz
Honestly, EVO and STi are both capabable of the power range i want (330rwhp), but the STi has more torque, sounds better and I think looks better (cept for the charcoal grey evo 9 MR, drool). I am however, still test driving cars. I have 2 test drives lined up so far. Ill likley hit up a Mitsubishi dealership soon.
Definately take the Evo for a test drive. The STi/STI has more torque stock (not much BTW), but that's about it. Bolt-on for bolt-on, the Evo makes more power. It has a larger turbo which can be made to put down assloads of horsepower/torque for very cheap (try ~400awhp/awtq with bolt-ons and alky). But you like the looks of the STi/STi more, and it is a very capable car. You'll be happy any direction you go (even keeping the Z and slapping Blizzak's on it). Good luck.
Originally Posted by z-u-later
I witnessed EVOs & STIs sliding all over the course, even with their AWDs.
Reason why is because of the stock tires... very NOT good in rain/ice. We got little things to help us out (ACD on the Evo, DCCD on the Subies) which work pretty damn good, but don't make up completely for our awesome dry-weather tires in non-dry weather.
oooh, they're turboed....(sorry not up on the competition)....that's real fair, the fact that an NA Z can run a turbo sti or evo is enough confidence for me, i can resume bragging....lol.
It IS fair... Z's have two more cylinders and an extra 1/1.5 liters of displacement on top of the Evo's/STi/STI's.
...is it THAT big of difference between the Z? I'm just curious....
Yes, it is that big of a difference. Factory turbo cars have a huge performance advantage because they're built for it from the get-go. Bolt-ons do wonders.
Originally Posted by Kabeetz
Those kinds of attitudes on all the forums are immature at best.
Very true.

From a roll, a stock Z will take a stock STi/STI simply due to the fact that the STi/STI's turbo falls on it's face due to the size (compared to an Evo). They both trap around the same in the 1/4, Subie winning with a quicker E.T. due to help from a vicious AWD launch.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:52 PM
Bumpinjeep

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey man, do what you want to do, but think of the financial repercussions. Will you be upside down on your loan? Can you afford to make this trade know that the dealer will screw you EVERY chance they get? Though they may be worth the same, the dealer may try to get your car whole sale and sell theirs over. There are a lot of real possibilities that you may end up getting shafted by a dealer that just wants more money. Other than that, go test drive the cars and find out which ones you like better. You don't need a Z forum to tell you what to do. I think 99% of the people posting on this forum would disagree with you, that 1% can be the honda/mitsu/subi trolls this forum got recently. Good luck with your decision but to throw in my 2 cents, the Z is head and shoulders above the STi/STI and evo counterparts.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:39 PM
plumpzz

Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep
Hey man, do what you want to do, but think of the financial repercussions. Will you be upside down on your loan? Can you afford to make this trade know that the dealer will screw you EVERY chance they get? Though they may be worth the same, the dealer may try to get your car whole sale and sell theirs over. There are a lot of real possibilities that you may end up getting shafted by a dealer that just wants more money. Other than that, go test drive the cars and find out which ones you like better. You don't need a Z forum to tell you what to do. I think 99% of the people posting on this forum would disagree with you, that 1% can be the honda/mitsu/subi trolls this forum got recently. Good luck with your decision but to throw in my 2 cents, the Z is head and shoulders above the STi/STI and evo counterparts.
You're good you
I went to test drive the car. The dealer as usual butt eff'd me. he offered 17.5k for my Z, 05 enth w/ 22k miles, 1 minor accident (bumper only). I said **** it, but I still want to drive the STi. I have to add 6 grand on top of my Z to buy the STi... Ill keep looking, or keep hte Z, and get an 08 STi next winter. Whatever comes first.

The car is nice though. Its fast, and I was driving it in the snow and gunned it and it did NOT loose traction one bit. The lag was definatley there, and kinda annoying. Im just used to a torqey V6. However, it definately didnt drop off in power. And i'm definatley going to check out the EVO 8 (cant afford a 9 ;\ ) just for fun, plus its a little cheaper on average.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:00 PM
bboypuertoroc

Wow man, the dealer is definately tring to f you... I got 17.5 when I traded my Z in for my Evo... I had an '03 base with over 40 on the clock, plus some damage on the rear bumper nd what looked to be a pellet gun wound on the driver side door (all from previous owner).
Old 01-18-2007, 03:14 PM
chishifu

Originally Posted by Shift_Z33
Pm'd, dibs on plenum
lol, u gots 3 guys ahead of you. and he is still tentative on his decision also

ChiShi
Old 01-18-2007, 03:21 PM
tylerdurden07

Well, as much as I love RWD and the classy looks of the Z, Im going to trade my Z in for an equal mileage/year STi. Im big into modding and after spending a few bucks into the car, I got maybe..25rwhp.. But today, what really made my mind was blindly driving through an Ice patch which I htought was just water. I lost traction, TCS kicked in and made the situation worse and i did a nice squeel of the tires going 60mph. I caught it but I think i might be better off with an STi.

Im going to put a bunch of stuff up for sale maybe over the next month..but heres a starter!

Full header back exhaust, custom X pipe, flowmaster muffler -- 950 + shipping
Crawford Z manifold 150+shipping
MREV 2 100+shipping
Cusco F/R sway bars 375 + shipping
Work Emotion XD9 wheels w/ Kuhmo ASX. 60% tread. 245/40/18, 275/40/18 running +18 offset in the rear and +20 in the front. 1500+shipping

Thanks guys!

Got a pic with the wheels? I'd like to see what they look like on your car.. thinking about purchase
Old 01-18-2007, 04:17 PM
HighwaySpeed

Originally Posted by Jenn350Z
Ice doesn't care if you're AWD, RWD, or FWD.
+1
Old 01-18-2007, 04:37 PM
Bumpinjeep

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

You're good you
My girlfriend says the same thing.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:02 PM
tylerdurden07

Originally Posted by ZmanZZZ
This is what they think of us????????? I got this from a STI forum:

Sinister Subaru

Member #: 366

I just do us both a favor and save gas by ignoring them.

Which forum was this? Nasioc or IWSTI? I need to go trolling I think... Or maybe I need to head down to the Fredrick area and whoop some @$$
Old 01-18-2007, 05:05 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Jenn350Z
I still may get an STi if gas prices continue to climb like they are.
Uhm, the STI gets worse mileage than the Z!

18/24 on the 06 model.

Last edited by zand02max; 01-18-2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:26 PM
bboypuertoroc

+1... same with my Evo... I get about 60 miles less out of a tank in my Evo than I did with the Z (but that is with a smaller gas tank... 14 gallons in the Evo). Gas milage ain't the greatest in the AWD monsters bro... only "seems" cheaper since we got smaller tanks. But you'll be wondering why you're filling up twice a week too.

Quick Reply: Looks like Im getting an STi