Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

water inside z

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 10:51 AM
trash259

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default water inside z

Does anyone have this problem? After washing the car there is a small puddle on the driver’s side floor mat. I have no idea where it’s coming from.
The following users liked this post:
Dario_jr (12-18-2019)
Old 03-31-2003, 11:43 AM
k2we

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I havn't actually had any water get inside the car but there is quite a build up of water in the area by the door. When you open the doon, it runs out.. You might get in the car and have a friend spray water with a hose and see if you can locate where the water is coming from. Have you noticed any other places where water has come in??

Steve (k2we) Dobbs Ferry, NY 6394 miles since Sept 17th.....
Old 03-31-2003, 04:19 PM
trash259

yeah...that's what i was gonna do but i would have to wait til the next car wash. the puddle is only on the driver's side floor mat.

when someone washes there z, could you cheek to see if the floor mat is wet...thanks.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:20 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

I've washed my Zzzz several times myself. water certainly gets into the door wells but not inside the car. My guess is you have a door gasket that is not seated properly.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:51 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

even so, youd be hard pressed to get enough water past that seal to form any sort of puddle, it has to defy gravity.

check window seal, that seems like the most likely place that water could enter and end up in the car.

oh, and the door sill is supposed to get wet. the seal is what is supposed to seal, everything in front of that seal is exposed, and should be.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:21 PM
JonathanAboona

my car shows the same thing... i removed my carpet to do some nitrous fixing and the entier pad was soaked. I checked my seals where I ran my lines and they are still sealed. I am going to throw the car on jacks and take off the guard and spray water at the wheelwell to see where its coming from
Old 03-05-2006, 04:57 PM
tmb

Originally Posted by JonathanAboona
my car shows the same thing... i removed my carpet to do some nitrous fixing and the entier pad was soaked. I checked my seals where I ran my lines and they are still sealed. I am going to throw the car on jacks and take off the guard and spray water at the wheelwell to see where its coming from

What was the resolution on this?

I have a 2005 that I bought in July.

When the weather started getting cold, I started going to once of those high end car wash places.

They pointed out that the drivers side rug was soaked.

I have been back several times and can't say that I noticed that it was gettting wet but the other day after I went through a different car wash that really blasts the underside, , the rug was full of soap!

I am making an appt to get it fixed as this should be a warranty issue.
The car has around 7000 miles on it now.

I was hoping someone had a definitive cause that is common to these cars or am I going to have a hassle with the dealer when he sees that I don't have the factory radio in anymore.

The hole through the firewall (I checked with the installer) that he made is on the Passenger side so it is the wrong side and could not be the cause.

Thanks for any responses.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:38 PM
VQ35DEV6

Water does get into the doors, but it does not go past the seals. Water only gets in if there is a direct source of water aimed towards the gaps. Usually water from a hose while washing your car. If your "floor mats" are getting wet, It is not coming in from the doors. Just as how the water gets into the door if sprayed in that direction the location where your window wipers are located on the drivers side have the same effect. If you spray a large amount of water pointed in that direction, water will get into your car. The water goes in through the gaps and drips water from under the steering wheel. Drips right onto your "floor mats". Put a hose on the drivers side, where the widow wipers are located (where the hood and front window meet), and if you let enough water flow there, you will notice water DOES get into the car from under the steering wheel (over the pedals). Rain or spraying the car quickly will not result in the water getting into the car but if you hold a hose there with a fair amount of water flowing, it WILL leak in. Car wash's use high powered hoses with large amounts of water, and this will cause water to leak into the car. I wash my car myself, so this is not a problem for me. Not too many people know about this problem because no one ever has to deal with that much water being sprayed into widow wiper area. Hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:49 PM
plumpzz

PM Kabs, he had the same problem.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:31 AM
tmb

Originally Posted by VQ35DEV6
Car wash's use high powered hoses with large amounts of water, and this will cause water to leak into the car. I wash my car myself, so this is not a problem for me.
I pulled this part out of your response because the driver's side floor mats ONLY get soaked when I use a car wash.

How come I am the only one of a few people having this problem?

There are a LOT of people in here who use a car wash.
Anyone who lives where it snows so that covers a large population.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Built2shredZ

Check the wheel area there should be some little rubber plugs in there, if you had a aftermarket alarm or sterreo installed they will sometimes run wires thru those rubber grouments and sometimes they can pop out, if they do then your floor area will get soaked when you wash your car or if your driving in rain.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:07 PM
cessna

Originally Posted by Built2shredZ
Check the wheel area there should be some little rubber plugs in there, if you had a aftermarket alarm or sterreo installed they will sometimes run wires thru those rubber grouments and sometimes they can pop out, if they do then your floor area will get soaked when you wash your car or if your driving in rain.

+1000000000000000!

But up to now, its only been on the VW' dubs and a suby that I have owned...
Nothing serious