Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Changing your own oil??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 02:01 PM
ricka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Changing your own oil??

I may be over thinking this whole thing...... but I have always changed my own oil and did my own maintenance and now w/ the 350Z I am worried. Can anyone advise on doing your own basic maintenance vs. taking it to the dealer??
Old 04-03-2003, 02:35 PM
WayneTN

What I intend to do is the routine maintenance (oil, filters, fluid levels, wipers, checking what I know how to check) and keep good records of what I do and when. For the more intense service checks, I'll get the dealer to do them. It just depends on your experience and your time vs. money ratio.

Good luck!

WayneTN
Old 04-03-2003, 02:39 PM
zPilott

If you have changed your own oil before, there probably isnt any thing that will suprise you on the Z. The factory oil filter was a PITA to get off, but the ones I have put on I can get off without taking off the piece on the bottom.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:28 PM
DmitryZ

I have always changed my own oil on my old car. My dealership is giving me 3 years worth of free oil changes for my Z, but I will change my own oil on the Z as well. Screw the free oil change. I used to work in a car shop so I know a little bit of what goes on. Oil change is pretty easy so it is usually some poor high school kid (like I was) that is doing the job. I always loved cars so I cared about my job but there were plenty of other people that didn’t have prior experience, didn’t have proper training, and didn’t give a sh*t. I would consider the free oil change if I could see my car while it was being serviced. But my dealership has a closed shop. Basically, I give them my key and they drive away with my car! I don’t see what is going on and that worries me a lot. How do I know that they put in the right oil and didn’t use a breaker bar to tighten my oil plug (that happens a lot more than I’d like to admit)?

On top of all that, the only time I can bring my car in is on a Saturday, which usually results in a 2 hour wait.

Actually, the more I think about it the more it makes sense to pay more money just so someone wouldn’t touch my car. Believe me, I have seen some scary stuff – If you can, change your own oil. As Wayne mentioned above - keep good records of what you do and when you do it.

Dmitry
Old 04-04-2003, 03:41 AM
ttheisen93

I've always changed my own oil, due to having access to the auto hobby shop on base, with all it's lifts and equipment. However, I'm kinda scared about doing the oil on the Z, since I don't know if I can get it on a rack to lift (where do the lift arms go?), and I don't think it sits high enough to change the oil without lifting it. I have a picture from Sport Compact Car magazine showing it on a lift, but it is hard to tell exactly where the arms are holding the car.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:03 AM
julian

I wouldn't trust anyone at a dealer or lube service place with my car. And I have an old POS.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:10 AM
ttheisen93

I think I might try the old "pull it halfway into the driveway" bit, if I can't figure out how else to lift it. The rise from the driveway should leave a nice gap to work on the oil.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:11 AM
ricka

Wow!! Hearing these responses have really made me feel okay about doing it myself. I tHinK I can do a good job Thanks again and I you have any tricks on removing the bottom cover or getting around it..........pls advise!
Old 04-04-2003, 07:37 AM
Jumpman--Z

I my first oil change ever on my car, with my dad's help, of course. It was pretty simple. When the car hits 5,000 miles, I'm going to change it myself. It was pretty fun, and besides, since my dad has always been the DIYer, I'm pretty sure he would think I'm crazy for taking my car to the dealership just to get an oil change.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:21 AM
julian

ttheisen93 - can't you just use the jack that came with the car for changing tires? then put a jack stand underneath once it's up. use a piece of wood and place it under the lower control arm or a sturdy frame part.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:02 AM
ZZZZME

I changed it out myself last weekend (1806 miles) to put in the first batch of Mobil 1 synthetic. I used Rhino Ramps to gain clearance under the car (30 bucks), which are plastic. I don't *think* that the nose scraped at all, at least I didn't hear anything and the nose was fine when I came off them. I think the biggest PITA about doing your own oil change is dumping the oil back into the used bottles and schlepping it back to the auto parts store to recycle. Big mess waiting to happen.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:04 AM
maserom

Synthetics or semi-senthetics are highly recommended!!
Old 04-04-2003, 09:37 AM
zPilott

I saw something like this at the auto parts store and though I'd try it. My last oil change was a breeze, and I haven't had any problems with it.

Last edited by zPilott; 04-04-2003 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:58 PM
ttheisen93

Julian,

I guess I could, I sometimes used the jack for the tires on my old maxima and sentra to change the oil. I was just hoping for a better solution. I pulled halfway into the driveway today and it looks like it might work OK, but I just noticed that I couldn't figure out right away where everything was when I looked underneath. The Rhino ramps might work, but I always worry that if the car is at an angle everything won't drain out, and leave a bunch of sludge in the corner of the drain pan. Has anyone tried to put it on a swing-arm type lift?
Old 04-04-2003, 02:31 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

I was able to change mine by just driving it up on a set of 2x4s to get it off the ground enough for me to reach the rear shield bolts.

Basically, I created one layer to drive up on first, then had another layer of 2x4 after that to get up on for the final height. In effect, a 4x4 height at the end.

Not a ton of room, just enough. I've got long arms, so don't have to craw all the way under.

I'm sure I'll use my floor jack this time with stands, now that I've gotten under one to see where to put them.
Old 04-04-2003, 02:32 PM
zPilott

If you do get it up high enough, you can just go through the hole in the shield.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:47 PM
Aloharacing

I've done mine twice now... It takes longer to take off the plastic cover than it does to actually change the oil itself. The nice thing is that when you do it yourself, you know it's done right. NOBODY will ever have the same respect and pride in your own car than you do.
Old 04-04-2003, 05:20 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Originally posted by zPilott
If you do get it up high enough, you can just go through the hole in the shield.
The stupid shield is making me seriously think about a compressor. That thing is annoying to remove.
Old 04-04-2003, 05:28 PM
maserom

Com'on people, we can't have our cake and eat it too!
Old 04-04-2003, 05:43 PM
zPilott

I have changed my oil the last two times without taking the shield off, just reach your arm up through the hole.

Quick Reply: Changing your own oil??