Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

For those who have test driven the Z...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 10:16 AM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For those who have test driven the Z...

I'd like to know about road noise, wind noise, and bumps... how is it?

I can hear that the engine sound from the interior is great, but is it manageable? I know honda's are a tad noisy when the tach goes above 4000rpm. The Z32 is just smooth. And how about the 350Z?

With the manual, is the clutch easy like the Z32?

I'm still new when it comes to manual, but my friend's Z32 TT is by far the easiest car to drive. I just let out the clutch a lil and the car starts moving... give it gas and I'm off! (I'm only a beginner!)

I practiced with a Prelude SH, Integra LS, and RX-7... it's okay, but the clutch isn't as forgiving as the Z32. If the 350Z is this easy.... wow, I'd be one very happy man! AHAHAHAH.

THanks!

Last edited by DIGItonium; 07-22-2002 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-22-2002, 04:17 PM
VandyZ

Default Re: For those who have test driven the Z...

Originally posted by djtonium
I'd like to know about road noise, wind noise, and bumps... how is it?

I can hear that the engine sound from the interior is great, but is it manageable? I know honda's are a tad noisy when the tach goes above 4000rpm. The Z32 is just smooth. And how about the 350Z?

This is a sports car, probably even more so than the Z32. The suspension is more aggressive and is not as cushy as the Z32. I would say there is less sound dampening as well. You can hear the engine and it is louder than a stock Z32 and could be considered noisy. I do not remember much wind noise.

If these are major concerns for you, I would look into the G35C. Keep in mind that it was a pre-production car but don't expect these things to change all that much.

I did not drive the car but we were told that the clutch needed some work. Take it for what it's worth.
Old 07-22-2002, 07:27 PM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not driven the Z, but the reviews all seem to state that the 17 inch wheels give a softer ride with the 18 inch wheels feeling every bump in the road. If I was you, I would either get the manual enthusiast model or the automatic touring model. The 17 inch wheels will give you the softer ride you are looking for (not a flame, not everyone wants to take their cars to the track). All the reviews say the Z is a driver's car, so the manual transmission may not be as forgiving as the one you drove. I am sure in short order you would become comfortable with the manual, but if you are concerned, I would get the automatic touring. I would not the Enthusiast automatic because I think the extra goodies you get with the touring are worth the price.
Old 07-22-2002, 09:02 PM
DIGItonium

Default Thanx!

I already have the Entusiast 6sp. ordered. I don't mind the leather, but the extra stuff I don't want to pay for. I have stereo upgrades for it already. Wheel upgrades... ehh, till the tire wears out.

At home, my dad drives a '90 Z32 TT Auto and my car is an '87 200SX SE V6. Great cars, great engines...

Since we never owned newer Nissans (esp. one with VQ series engines), I just wonder how much they've improved over the years.

I'm curious about the improvements in interior quality, wind noise, window seals, and engine cooling system.

I also wanted to know about the ride quality and improvements over the Z32... which is still my favorite. The new Z is so much simpler than the Z32, and it's hard to force myself to believe this car is more than it really is. (Can't wait till Oct.!!!!)
Old 07-22-2002, 09:17 PM
3rdpower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Thanx!

Originally posted by djtonium
I already have the Entusiast 6sp. ordered. I don't mind the leather, but the extra stuff I don't want to pay for. I have stereo upgrades for it already. Wheel upgrades... ehh, till the tire wears out.
You won't have to worry about the leather either, u won't get it