Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I call her "Marilyn!"

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 10:06 AM
JimH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I call her "Marilyn!"

Here she is in all her glory and ready to roll. I hit the road this Tuesday for 6 weeks in the Z I now call "Marilyn." I can only hope that she will look this good over the next 7,000 miles!

My new Privat/Fahren rims. I just got the magazine in the mail today that features my car on the front cover and a story inside that Todd over at DiscountTireDirect made possible. Thanks Todd!

Ever want to know how your rims look to others while at speed? Take it to a dyno! Here, Rich, owner of Dyno-Comp in Scottsdale gives my Z a workout. I love the look of the rims at over 100mph!

I am not going to publish this dyno result as it is a totally different dyno type and time/temp, etc. then my baseline dyno at a different company and it would not truly reflect the changes I have made since baseline. Hopefully, I can get another pull on the orig. dyno tomorrow and post results shortly. Regards, Jim
Old 04-04-2003, 10:11 AM
Selski12

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn Jim, everytime I see your pictures they are always glistening with clarity! Nice!!
Old 04-04-2003, 10:13 AM
j's350z

Default Good Luck w/ your trip!!!

I took my Z for a 3 week vacation from NJ - Miami and put almost 5000 miles on it. It wasn't that bad. The only part that sucks is that the headrest's don't tilt... OH and heres atip for more luggage space, you can remove the foam blocks that are next to your spare and hide stuff there. Their is actually alot of room their. You can also remove the jack from the holder and take out that side too. Just put the jack somewhere else by itself.... Anyway be safe and keep it right side up
Old 04-04-2003, 10:15 AM
JimH

Default Le Mans pix

Rossell, Thanks for the kind words on the pics, but as you know, the credit goes to the fabulous Le Mans paint combined with some pretty good design and tied together with some decent camera gear. All I do is push da' button! Regards, Jim

Originally posted by Selski12
Damn Jim, everytime I see your pictures they are always glistening with clarity! Nice!!
Old 04-04-2003, 10:21 AM
JimH

Default Re: Good Luck w/ your trip!!!

Jason, Thanks for the good wishes for the trip! Also, good hints on the luggage space issue too. I already have 18,000 miles on her and so she shouldn't be breaking much sweat on this trip! Regards, Jim

Originally posted by j's350z
I took my Z for a 3 week vacation from NJ - Miami and put almost 5000 miles on it. It wasn't that bad. The only part that sucks is that the headrest's don't tilt... OH and heres atip for more luggage space, you can remove the foam blocks that are next to your spare and hide stuff there. Their is actually alot of room their. You can also remove the jack from the holder and take out that side too. Just put the jack somewhere else by itself.... Anyway be safe and keep it right side up
Old 04-04-2003, 10:24 AM
droideka

HOLY F**KING ****, JIM!!! WHAT are you doing with the CONTRAST in that second pic? That is just SICK!!!

VERY NICE! How much do those rims weigh again?
Old 04-04-2003, 10:40 AM
JimH

Default Rims

Droid, He, he, he, he! Man, when I read your post I nearly fell outa' my chair laughing You do have a way with words! I'm still laughing so pay no attention to any typing erroooors from here in
We failed to weigh the rims w/o the rubber on them, Duh... We did weigh them with the new and larger rubber on them and compared them to fully shod stock setup tho. The stock 17's w/225 fronts were 50lbs. These new 18"Privats w/245 fronts are 45lbs.
The stock 17"rears w/235 were 51.5lbs. The 18"/275 Privats are 48.4lbs. So, lighter all the way around w/much bigger rubber too.
Oh, the contrast you spoke about... Those shots are all taken in/at my detailers shop after he finished getting Marilyn ready this past Tuesday. Also, the mixed lighting w/fluorescent, tungsten and daylight mixed with some flash fill doesn't hurt the outcome at all! Thanks for the good words, (still chucklin'...) Regards, Jim

Originally posted by droidekaus
HOLY F**KING ****, JIM!!! WHAT are you doing with the CONTRAST in that second pic? That is just SICK!!!

VERY NICE! How much do those rims weigh again?
Old 04-04-2003, 10:59 AM
Dolfan13

Jim, you have got the prettiest car I have ever seen. I really like those rims. Your car is always so clean.......A beatiful automobile. You should have taken your car and filmed the RUN.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:27 AM
JimH

Default The Run

Dolfan, Thank you for the compliment on "Marilyn!" BTW, I just came up with that name after shooting pix in front of the giant mural of Marilyn Monroe behind the car.
I do love "The Run!!" Actually, one of the guys (N74DV) on this board filmed a mini version of the run using my car, a DB and another LS. Here's one of my shots from that day. We shot out here in the desert and mountains of southern Arizona. He put it on CD and mixed in some Nissan footage along with a drag race between the DB and his airplane and has made it available to the forum here. All in all, it was a nice presentation keeping in mind the budget was miniscule to say the least. We had fun shooting most of one day and you know the attention these cars generate!
Those rims (Privat/Fahren in Opal) should become available any day now in the states from Todd over at DiscountTireDirect.
Regards, Jim
Originally posted by Dolfan13
Jim, you have got the prettiest car I have ever seen. I really like those rims. Your car is always so clean.......A beatiful automobile. You should have taken your car and filmed the RUN.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:02 PM
z-extreme

If I lived in a sunny state I would have gotten the LEMans its just so sweet.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:12 PM
JimH

Default LS in the sun

Z-extreme, Yup, you hit the nail on the head! The sunlight here just does things to the Le Mans that can't be explained! Thanks, Regards, Jim

Originally posted by z-extreme
If I lived in a sunny state I would have gotten the LEMans its just so sweet.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:39 PM
N74DV

good luck on the trip Jim! takes lots of photos and share them with us.

Your car is looking sweet as it always does. Great pic with all 3 of us lined up at Canyon lake. I have almost the same shot... a great image! love the way the rear bumper lines match up all the way down the cars.

here's my shot
Attached Thumbnails I call her "Marilyn!"-z-s-canyon.jpg  
Old 04-04-2003, 07:49 PM
JimH

Default 3 Amigos

Thanks, DJ. Yes, I am looking forward to the photo ops all along the way. In fact, the Atlanta Z group is all lined up to treat me "southern style" when I get to Atlanta to do the differential changeout and a group in Denver is getting something together too. I am in hopes of meeting Z groups/individuals all across this land over the next 6 weeks. I am planning on documenting all Z sightings photographically and then doing some writing along with it and see where it goes.
I do like your image better than mine as it is more symetrical than mine is. Regards, Jim

Originally posted by N74DV
good luck on the trip Jim! takes lots of photos and share them with us.

Your car is looking sweet as it always does. Great pic with all 3 of us lined up at Canyon lake. I have almost the same shot... a great image! love the way the rear bumper lines match up all the way down the cars.

here's my shot
Old 04-04-2003, 09:52 PM
deviousZ
Banned

WOW That first pic is awesome!!!! Sweet ride!!!
Old 04-04-2003, 11:19 PM
alphared

man, what kind of wax are you using?
Old 04-04-2003, 11:42 PM
JimH

Default Sweet ride

Thx for the flowers! Regards, Jim

Originally posted by deviousZ
WOW That first pic is awesome!!!! Sweet ride!!!
Old 04-04-2003, 11:49 PM
JimH

Default Wax

It is a product called "Perfect Finish." It is a "Premium Paint Protection System." My detailer found it. It is a ceramic protection of some kind, that's about all I know about it. Regards, Jim

Originally posted by alphared
man, what kind of wax are you using?
Old 04-05-2003, 12:13 AM
Jason

Wow. Your Sunset looks freakin' great.

I love the color, but the ones I see typically look "pumpkin" colored. I'm thinking that a few dozen coats for Zaino do a lot for this color
Old 04-05-2003, 01:58 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Default . JinHvery sharp and...

crystal clear pictures... and great color & ride setup...

Wondering.... what camera did you use for those top-nothch photos ?

thanks..JimH... !!!
Old 04-05-2003, 07:20 AM
JimH

Default Sunset in AZ.

Jason, Thx for the kudos on the how the Sunset looks! I really do believe the extremely bright Arizona sunlight has much to do with how "Marilyn" looks in my photographs. I am almost a little fearful how she is going to look when I start heading east on Monday. Rain, cloudy skies? Better not happen over the next 6 weeks!
I think you are on the right track as far as keeping a good protectorant/finish on our paint. We have to really work on that here in AZ. because the sunlight that makes them look so good, also kills paint finish quicker than snow, rain and ice, etc. Regards, Jim

Originally posted by Jason
Wow. Your Sunset looks freakin' great.

I love the color, but the ones I see typically look "pumpkin" colored. I'm thinking that a few dozen coats for Zaino do a lot for this color

Quick Reply: I call her "Marilyn!"