Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

***Racer X Sponsorship = SCAM!!***

Old 04-04-2003, 04:58 PM
Ricky
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***Racer X Sponsorship = SCAM!!***

Okay members, we have a company out there trying to scam us! Racer X, a company in DE, claims to sponsor people, and are targeting Z owners. This is because the Z is a new car and everyone wants to hook it up. They contact you if you submit an application, their website is www.racerxmotorsports.com. Well, when you submit your application, it turns out that you are automatically charged $79.00 for an "account activation fee". They claim that you will only be charged if you are accepted, the trick is, they accept everyone! They will then call you and offer you a T-Shirt, Magazine, Stickers, and other little goodies, and tell you they will mail your contract out. Here are the guidelines to their "SPONSORSHIP"

Most the Z members will prolly be offered the "$10,000 / 52% Partial Sponsorship" under this you get:

-Up to 52% off all parts
-Free shipping of all parts
-$5,000/per year if car is damaged to reinburst your aftermarket (for 2 years, for total of $10,000)
-After 1 year of being on this sponsorship, you can apply for a FULL sponsorship where they pay for all parts and goods
-Any product you buy which is under $80 is free to you
-"Rack Labor Rate" on installation, which is $45/hour, cheaper if you go to their shop, if you go to another shot affliated with them, you get Rack Labor Rate

It turns out they really do most these things, but the part they scam you at is....

1) They require you to enter 4 shows a year, which YOU must pay for. What sponsorship company makes you pay to advertise? None. Entering a show as a car owner costs usually $100 and up. This mean you have to pay $400 or so a year to keep your contract active.
2) The 52%, is "UP TO 52%" off. Most parts are NOT 52% off! Generally they are about 30% off. Even that 30% off is off a raised price. For example, I asked for the INJEN CAI, on this site we have seen dealers offer it to us at $225 shipped. Racer X quoted me a price of $247. Another good example is Eibach Lowering Springs, I've seen dealers sell them for $200 shipped, Racer X sells them for $227.
3) When you tie 1 and 2 together, even though the prices arn't that bad, the amount you will save with them is going to be much less than what you end up spending on the shows.

When I called to get a refund on my contract, Eric, the man I spoke to tried everything to keep me interested. He gave me the following excuses.. (all listed below are exact words used by Eric)
1) We are here to help you out, you got a great car, we can offer you great products cheap
2) The prices I quoted you have an additional 30% off once I see you have a signed contract. (If this is the case, why would he give me 2 prices? Doesn't make sense. Plus, Once he has a signed contract in hand, I'm screwed!)
3) Don't you want to have the first really hooked up 350Z?
4) If you stay with us for 1 year, you can apply for a FULLY paid sponsorship!
5) Come on man, we're trying to help you out here! It's not easy finding a sponsorship!
6) The $79.00 cannot be refunded, but we can take 79.00 off your next order. (I was told it could be refundable by another worker named Scott, so they obviously don't know their company policy)
7) Eric kept telling me he works in the PARTS Department, and that the $79.00 was charged by the MARKETING Department, when I asked for the marketing department number, he kept repeating himself, saying "I'm in parts." Makes me believe there is no marketing department. Finally I was told to email "Wholesale@racerxmotorsports.com"

There you have it guys. If you feel as if you want to go through this, you can. Technically this is not a real scam, but it is extremely misleading. I hope this helped a few of you out there, because I went through a hassel of over 2 hours to figure all this bullshi* out. Good luck fellow Z members.
Old 04-04-2003, 05:04 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry man I told you this was exactly how it was gonna be on IM... you cant sue them or anything cause they didnt technically do anything wrong
scams wouldnt be as common as they are if they could be sued.

key phrase "if something seems too good to be true, it probably is"
Old 04-04-2003, 05:07 PM
Ricky
Banned

Originally posted by ares
sorry man I told you this was exactly how it was gonna be on IM... you cant sue them or anything cause they didnt technically do anything wrong
scams wouldnt be as common as they are if they could be sued.

key phrase "if something seems too good to be true, it probably is"
Yeah dude, you're right. I should have checked them out a little more before accepting anything, but in the all the excitment, I messed up. I'm fighting for my money back, but hopefully this thread will save a few members from behind fuc*ed over. Might want to sticky this so no member gets screwed over.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:27 PM
N74DV

have your credit card company charge back the debit. I got hosed from wheelmax.com when I bought my wheels. They jacked me around pretty bad and it really pissed me off. I called my credit card company and got the charged removed.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:47 PM
Ricky
Banned

Doesn't that cost like $20?
Old 04-04-2003, 07:52 PM
ares
Veteran

not if its a good credit card
you just dispute the charge, and they take it off. typicly the company wont fight since they did something shady or you wouldnt be disputing.

you couldnt buy a turbo and dispute the charges even tho the product was fine, theyd fight for their money or their product back. but since you didnt really get anything, they can only cancel your account.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:55 PM
Ricky
Banned

Sounds good, I might do that if I don't hear back soon
Old 04-04-2003, 09:55 PM
DLin05

well....im glad im not the only person screwed over...scott is the person i talked to on the phone...didnt seem like he could talk very well...how soon should i call my credit card company?

and the contract...has anyone recieved it yet...what should we do with the contract after we get it?

oh btw...who all got excited and tricked into this?
Old 04-04-2003, 10:02 PM
ares
Veteran

sponsorships do not come from online or a magazine people... this really should have been caught by common sense.

call the credit card tomarrow and say you want that charge stopped. dont wait for it to go through, end it now.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:08 PM
ChromiumBlue

well my contract is on its way, is it too late to cancel? all i need to do is call the credit card company and tell em to cancel rite? what if all u did was buy parts from them and not enter any shows just telling them that its b/c u dont think ur car is ready.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:56 AM
xxlbeerZ

lol at anyone paying to get sponsored, that makes no sense.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:39 AM
D@ActiveTuning

This scams been around for about 2 years...
Old 08-25-2004, 08:45 AM
FairladyZ

they advertise in import magazines.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:31 AM
DrVolkl

But if I register now, I qualify to win a Skyline GTR!!!!

Can they do that? I mean, don't they have to give away a skyline??? Can they get in trouble if they aren't?
(I'm assuming that there is no skyline...)
Old 08-25-2004, 12:19 PM
SlamMan

ROFLMFAO, There's a sucker born every minute.

You guys really didn't pick up on the scam when they wanted to charge you $80 bucks to get sponsored.

Next time you guys find a deal that sound too good to be true just PayPal me 20 bucks and save yourself some money.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:45 PM
ares
Veteran

if they werent around, the scams wouldnt be everywhere.

you think youd still get the nigerian emails if someone didnt bite?