Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Enthusiast or Performance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 06:14 AM
christoc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Enthusiast or Performance?

I went to a dealer last night, two actually. At the second dealer they tried to push a performance model on me. I was really going in looking for an enthusiast, knowing there aren';t any local so one will have to be located.

They wanted to sell me the performance for 29k, and an enthusiast for 28k. I am still a little torn, I told them to find me an enthusiast. they had this performance traded from another dealer, already had 134 miles on it, missing a piece out of the center console (they said it was on order) and under the hood there was coolant spilled around the fill cap. So I was hesitant to get myself into a car right then and there.

I want an enthusiast for autocrossing, wasn't really looking for 18s, the tire pressure system, vdc, etc....

What are your guys opinions? do I go back and take the brickyard performance, or wait them out for an enthusiast?
Old 04-08-2003, 08:52 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really want the Enthusiast thats what you should get. Screw what the dealer wants to sell you.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:08 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I got an Ent myself. If you don't want 18's and do not want VCD, why pay more? Follow your instints, they are usually right.

Jeff
Old 04-08-2003, 09:33 AM
bobowah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get the enthusiast. I had the same dilemena.

Save the money for modifications you are going to make for the autocrossing ie rims and tires.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:05 AM
christoc

Well, I am managing to **** off a few dealers They say they can't find a car, I find it somewhere within 200 miles, and then they are mad cause I called and found it. Screw them, if they can't tell me tomorrow that they will pick up a car and bring it to them, I will drive to this other dealer and buy the car.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:51 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Drive and get the car, they had their chance. Why go out of your way to help them so they can make money off of you? We are the consumer. We have the power if we use it. Dealers will change if we force them to change.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:20 AM
blaque

It took me 3 mos to find the color/options pkg on my Enthusiast. Worth the almost 2Gs that I saved Bottom line, get what you want.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:37 PM
orhanz33

do you guys without the vdc find yourself loosin the rear a lot when you take turns/accelerate out of turns? what about in the rain...do you wish you had vdc takin turns in the rain...? I even read a post one time on the board of how one guy spun out on a straight highway in the rain?...i was also planning on getting an enthusiast, saving $ and getting more aftermarket stuff, but I don't wanna end up crashing the car/hurting myself or someone cause i drive a little faster then I should, and since I'm not experienced with a RWD car...I'm sure I'll catch on quick, but I don't wanna regret not having VDC...
Old 04-08-2003, 07:48 PM
christoc

This is probably posted elsewhere, but what does the VDC do?

Doesn't the Enthusiast come with traction control? or is that what VDC does?
Old 04-08-2003, 09:50 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enthusiast comes with TCS (no VDC) and Perfor. comes with both TSC & VDC.

Do a search on the difference. To techy to explain (at least for me).
Old 04-09-2003, 06:30 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Hmm, some of you guys cannot drive without VDC. How did you drive cars before they had it? 90% of all cars on the road do not have something like this yet they seem to work fine.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:58 AM
Welsh 350Z N

You should have what you want. However, I spent a lot of time looking at the options and the Performance model is probably the best 'value' - 'bang for your buck'. Also, depends if you intend to mod it at all. If you're going to put aftermarket rims on - don't pay for Nissan rims - you know what I mean. The most important thing is your buying a 350Z - buy the one you want.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:54 AM
christoc

alright, I really am going to **** off every dealer in a 2 state area, but I am waiting on a DB car now. A local dealer got my name, and has a brand new one coming in in 20 days. The guy I already gave money has been told I only want a blue one, and I am not in a rush to get it, so he will see what he can find me, supposed to call back today.

Anyone have any thoughts, should I wait for the brand new one off the train? or let this other guy do a dealer trade for one? opinions?

My thoughts are a brand new one straight from dock has less likelyhood of being driven harsh before it gets to me, no test drives, etc.....
Old 04-09-2003, 11:11 AM
Welsh 350Z N

It depends on the dealer. In my experience test drives of the 350 are kept for real buyers and those people tend that have real respect. Any dealer that knows his stuff shouldn't allow a car to be ripped on a test drive and make sure it's kept below the rpm break-in point anyhow. If there is a car in a dealership that is right for you and it only has delivery mileage plus a test or 2 - I'd take it as long as that dealer sells you the car as though it was straight off the dock (and they should). You also have a better bargaining position because they don't want that inventory and will want to move that car out. If you find one in stock that is the spec you want but missing a few options you should be able to get those options included in the price (depending on what they might be). Deal hard, take no **** and get the car you want without having to wait.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:16 AM
christoc

Well, I know how I test drove the car I took out, a touring, and I know that's not the proper way to break in a car, but at the same time I wanted to make sure the car did what I wanted.

I have two dealers looking for trades right now, I told one guy he has to know something tomorrow or I am getting my check back from him. The other guy, may or may not call me back.

The third is the guy who has it coming in stock from port soon, he will be my money taker if I don't know about a car from these other guys tomorrow.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:46 AM
Itzted350z

get the Enthusiast model and use the money you save to get nicer wheels...thats what i did.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:59 PM
christoc

alright, I Got money back from two dealers today, one VW and one Nissan, went to another Nissan dealer that should be delivering my car within the next 14 days!!! yay!!
Old 04-10-2003, 10:11 PM
ATC Ken

Default Performance!

If you can get a performance model fro 29000, I'd say jump on it! In my biased opinion, performace is the best bang for the buck. Alot of extras for not much more $$$.

Good Luck!
Ken... I own a Performance!