Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What is Grey Market?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 07:41 AM
cubu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NismoZ33
I brought my Nismo wing from Andy and it was 100% JDM Nismo, never had a problem with him before.

reading all your reply it seem like you have something aganist Andy, if so talk to him outside the forum this don't look good to anyone even yourself.

I see where you are coming from but you are pretty much doing the same by bring the same thing up over and over again. All you are doing is becoming a post *****
i never said that he's a bad sponsor or vendor, i've ordered plenty of stuff from performance nissan and never had a problem, i don't have a problem with Andy but i do have a problem with the basis in which this thread was started, i couldn't care less if this makes me look good or bad thus i don't edit my posts, i speak my truth just like Andy is speaking his truth but i let it be known that my truth isn't the Truth

btw, why aren't JDM Nismo body parts not offered from NNA anymore, what made them stop selling those body parts?
Old 03-15-2007, 07:54 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by NismoZ33
I brought my Nismo wing from Andy and it was 100% JDM Nismo, never had a problem with him before.

reading all your reply it seem like you have something aganist Andy, if so talk to him outside the forum this don't look good to anyone even yourself.

I see where you are coming from but you are pretty much doing the same by bring the same thing up over and over again. All you are doing is becoming a post *****
Thanks for your support bro.

No need to single out cubu though. He has valid points though they may seem redundant. If he has a personal problem with me, I'm sure he will PM me. Otherwise, I will be more than happy to rebuttle any of his arguments or answer any of his questions publicly.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:57 AM
Jason@Riverside
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by cubu
i never said that he's a bad sponsor or vendor, i've ordered plenty of stuff from performance nissan and never had a problem, i don't have a problem with Andy but i do have a problem with the basis in which this thread was started, i couldn't care less if this makes me look good or bad thus i don't edit my posts, i speak my truth just like Andy is speaking his truth but i let it be known that my truth isn't the Truth

btw, why aren't JDM Nismo body parts not offered from NNA anymore, what made them stop selling those body parts?
NNA never sold any JDM Body parts...

For many different reasons...

The JDM ones are FIBERGLASS... the USDM market (This is not the TUNER but for the Dealer, Body Shops etc, most will not touch a fiberglass piece...)

NISSAN NORTH AMERICA / NISMO USA made URETHANE Body Parts (NISMO Front Lip, Side Skirts with Bigger Buldge, Rear End Caps, and Rear Wing) SPECIFIC for the US Market...

These USDM NISMO Body Parts are Crash Tested in the US to not fly off, do bodly harm etc etc... They mount like Factory Parts, not with some tap screws and double sided tape like "JDM Fiberglass Lips" like a VEILSIDE front lip for example...

They are made to meet the quality standards of the US Market...

Where as in Japan, you buy a fiberglass bumper, knowing its fiberglass, and if the paint bubbles or if you hit a curb and it shatters, they dont cry about it...

The USDM NISMO Rear Wing sits lower then the JDM so it does not block visibility to stay away from law suites etc...

The NISMO V2 rear wing is available from NISSAN MOTORSPORTS (Seperate parts system from NNA (NISSAN NORTH AMERICA) NISMO Products...
Old 03-15-2007, 07:57 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by status
I back you up on that 100% ANDY!
Thanks Rick! Appreciate your support bro. You know I always got your back and all the boys over at Status.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:59 AM
Volk350Z
Master

Originally Posted by hieu
Cubu makes good points. I don't think he is posting just to be a post *****... I do agree with him that this thead was directed to "Gruppe-S" (even though he did not mention his name)
I don't think Andy's directing this to just Gruppe-S, there's a **** load of Grey Market company out there. So company grey market parts that have no US Dist. and some company grey market parts even knowing there's a US Dist.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:00 AM
Jason@Riverside
Vendor - Former Vendor

(I think there are some grey market company's in the computer industry too believe it or not... maybe even the whole consumer electronics market... i bet there is even a gray market for toilet paper!)
Old 03-15-2007, 08:03 AM
cubu

so how are/were these JDM nismo body parts obtained to be sold in the US? in my earlier posts i always had the body parts in mind
Old 03-15-2007, 08:10 AM
Jason@Riverside
Vendor - Former Vendor

so how are/were these parts obtained to be sold in the US? in my earlier posts i always had the body parts in mind
The actual NISMO JDM Body Parts?

They can be brought in many different ways...

Through NISSAN MOTORSPORTS, although, the costs were very very high the way JDM NISMO parts were brought in... (these parts are sold as is / no warranty)

If purchased from NISMO Japan and brought over in your own container... (these parts are sold as is / no warranty)

There is litterally a hand full of people who purchased actual JDM NISMO Body Parts... especially the V1 body kit... that are active on this board... The kits didnt last that long... and then replica's popped up soo fast from taiwan / china etc that even myself was happier buying 3 different carbon fiber NEEEEEEEEEZMO front bumpers that would have been the cost of 1 real one...

NISSAN MOTORSPORTS did not bring over that many V2 front bumpers or rear wings...

The V2 stuff was sold very strictly in Japan if you were lucky to get... One of the things they did not want to see happen was replica's pop up...

What happend?
Old 03-15-2007, 08:12 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

How would anyone know that I am directing this to Gruppe-S? If you're making that assumption publicly, then you know more than you should about whats going on. I never once directed this thread towards them or any other vendor for that matter. People need to stop making false accusations about who this thread is directed to. I did not create this thread to direct anything to anyone, but more for the public to know how grey marketing affects us. Gruppe-S isn't the only sponsor on here that sells grey market products, why hasn't anyone else mentioned their name(s)?
Old 03-15-2007, 08:23 AM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy@Performance
Gruppe-S isn't the only sponsor on here that sells grey market products, why hasn't anyone else mentioned their name(s)?
Well lets get it out in the open......I personally have no idea who they are. Start a list and let the "public" know......
Old 03-15-2007, 08:31 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by buzzardmountain
Well lets get it out in the open......I personally have no idea who they are. Start a list and let the "public" know......
Trust me, I'd love to but like I said, that wasn't the intent of this thread. Publicly announcing the grey marketers in this thread is just opening up a can of worms and causing more drama in this thread which is the total opposite of what the intentions were suppose to be. Robin, if you really want to know, just shoot me a PM and I'd be more than happy to answer any of your questions.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:41 AM
cubu

Andy, if you are sincerely worried about his culture, why only bring up one facet that is affecting this culture negatively? you choose the one facet that is obviously controversial over the impact that it has on this culture. we all know there are other things like stolen items, replicas and knockoffs, crap items being sold like those from 'atcmotorsports', any one of these other facets have a much more profound and immediate effect on this culture than the one you chose to start a thread about and put in the general 350z forum, wouldn't it be more effective to talk about a real problem and not a debated issue that revolves around the distribution of the profit that this culture brings in between legit vendors and businessmen?
Old 03-15-2007, 09:06 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Andy, if you are sincerely worried about his culture, why only bring up one facet that is affecting this culture negatively? you choose the one facet that is obviously controversial over the impact that it has on this culture. we all know there are other things like stolen items, replicas and knockoffs, crap items being sold like those from 'atcmotorsports', any one of these other facets have a much more profound and immediate effect on this culture than the one you chose to start a thread about and put in the general 350z forum, wouldn't it be more effective to talk about a real problem and not a debated issue that revolves around the distribution of the profit that this culture brings in between legit vendors and businessmen?
The discussion of stolen and replica products has already been done, over and over again. Grey market is something that I have never seen discussed throughout this forum until recently. Another reason why I bring this topic up is because of the affects that it has. I'm sure that most of the people out there are unaware of how grey marketing really affects us. If you do then that is great, you're one step ahead of the game. But looking at the responses on the first page of the thread, it is obvious that not everyone knows how we are all affected from grey marketing.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:36 AM
VIP-STATUS
Banned

More power to the guys that make's it work from there house!

When shop's that do like a $1,000,000 buy in the become a dealer.And stock over $50,000 a month on one line.We all try to hook up the retailer with good price.

And people who "GREY MARKET" parts in under the water.Just low ball.
They just F-UP the market.

Jason, i wasn't referring to you, i was responding to this...
Old 03-15-2007, 10:00 AM
Will Pwr

Originally Posted by Gruppe-S
Agreed. But the question then begs to be asked - why then can a grey marketer afford to handle processing of hundreds of individual orders? I think the logical answer is that there is some sort of efficiency problem either with the manufacturer or the regional subsidiary that is preventing a more equilibrium price.

Keeping in mind that grey market is only possible when there is a substantial price difference between two different regions.

Cheers,

Gary
Gruppe-S
Not picking on you Gary....just answering some of your questions...

Agreed. But the question then begs to be asked - why then can a grey marketer afford to handle processing of hundreds of individual orders?
If one could really be processing hundreds of orders, they can afford it because of the lower overhead and in some cases willingness for lower profit margins because they have not invested any other costs asides from the cost of the product and the shipping. They are a business of their own that is reselling parts that have already been established, marketing and in demand from another entities efforts and resources.

Keeping in mind that grey market is only possible when there is a substantial price difference between two different regions.
Not saying that this is never the case, but it isnt always the case. Even the details of the pricing difference have issues that come into play. Often pricing differences are from the sellers methods of obtaining sales. I can elaborate more later if someone really cares.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:06 AM
Will Pwr

Originally Posted by Cloud
some parts never had warranty to begin with though...if i recall correctly... aftermarkte clutches don't.... don't quote me on that though.
True....but they do come with some sort of service.

Ill give you an two examples that I have dealt with before....

customer buys HKS clutch from authorized dealer. Customer has issue with clutch kit...lets say its missing a part or has issues with installation. That said customer could seek assistance from what authorized dealer or even HKS direct. HKS USA would be willing to accept responsibility of the missing or broken part because it came through their channels and are responsible for it.

If it came grey market, HKS USA can not validate or assume the responsibility of it. If it was damaged from the the hands of the grey market process or what not, HKS USA can not account for that parts status.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:12 AM
Will Pwr

Originally Posted by Volk350Z
no but mackin does contribute in cost for marketing the products and help with design of new wheels & special edition version wheels for the US Market.
Agreed.....a full business is not just 1 aspect of a product... a brand and a business consists of R&D, Sales, Support and Marketing....thats just to name a few.

Maybe Im speaking from a manufactuers point of view...but thats where I see from...aside from the fact of seeing it more big picture from being in the media realm now.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Will Pwr

Originally Posted by rocks

I would rather order from a performance shop over a dealer any day. At least they care about cars making power and looking nice, not just meeting thier monthly quota.
Just to clearify....the discussion of grey market has nothing to do with performance shop versus a dealer
Old 03-15-2007, 10:25 AM
Will Pwr

man, making fun of less fortunate shops not everyone can afford to have a nice fancy shop, yet. you gotta start somewhere don't you? least they're trying, how you can knock someone for trying to make a decent living is beyond me

and about the JDM Nismo stuff, sorry for not being clearer, i was referring to the body kit

some of you guys are just posting nothing but justifications, double standards, contradictions, cover-ups, hypocrisies, denial, and misdirection, its plain and simple that you guys are losing money, you can't do anything about it, it drives you so crazy and you work yourself up to the point that steam comes out of your ears, you get all bug eyed, and want to yank your short and curlies out, so you have at a futile attempt to sway consumers not to buy from anyone else but you by saying its immoral and what not, then you catch yourself on the same side of the fence in ways, grey market this grey market that, psshhh
It has more to do than just "losing money" as you would say. And to say its a futile attempt to sway consumers one way or another is pathetic.....its a public service announcement per se. Maybe you see it from one simple perspective as being only an end user.... and there is nothing wrong with that. But the bigger picture there are many other aspects to it. Maybe you have to more involved into the marketing or a larger consumer of the industry to experience it.

To tell you the truth, grey has been around...its not a new thing...and will it always be there? Probably to some degree..... but the key to this thread or anyones input is that its to make the public aware of what it is and what effect it can have on them individually and to the market itself. In the end it is up to the consumer to decide on his/her purchases...but as a respected person or business in the industry it is their right and desire to inform the public as they will.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:39 AM
VIP-STATUS
Banned

^^^^THANK YOU "WILL"

Quick Reply: What is Grey Market?