Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

LT1 owner looking for some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 07:53 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is also my first import. My other two cars are a GTP and a Syclone, and I've driven F-Bodies in the past.

The 350 is a nice change. It has its minuses, but over all it is a very fun car. I miss serious low end grunt, but over all for a NA V6 is it pretty nice with a nice flat torque curve that pulls pretty well. I guess if I want to snap my neck back, I can drive the Syclone a bit

Parts do seem to be quite high compared to domestics. I'm hoping this comes down over time, as more cars are built and economies of scale come into play. Also, we are just at the begining of the market for these cars. I don't think the VQ has had a ton of performance parts made before for the other models it is in, as they are really more sedan/family car oriented with less of a market for those type of things. Hopefully, with the Z out as well as the Altimas, Maximas, etc, critical mass will be reached and R&D will come on strong (as it seems to be).
Old 04-10-2003, 10:07 PM
Michael-Dallas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jaa1755,

The Z is a Japanese Corvette. Not in the literal sense regarding performance (although it is fun to drive), but in the sense of heritage, history, culture, and comraderie. I can't think of any other Japanese marque that has clubs as large and strong as ZCCA and statewide Z clubs.

Unfortunately, it does severely depress me when I see or read about people who would rather do "appearance upgrades" than at least take their Z out on a roadcourse. But when that happens, I usually stay away from the forums and remind myself why I bought a Z in the first place.

Anyway, Z's have traditionally been "mature" sports cars. It's just recently w/ the import scene/trend that the 350z has turned more into a boy-racerish type of sports car.

Michael.

On a side note: Porsche and BMW owners tend to get ridiculed for owning a car that's more of a status symbol. Well, there seems to be more PCA-sponsored and BMWCCA-sponsored HPDE's and auto-x's than Z-sponsored events. That is very depressing as the Z is a very capable car. I let a fellow 300ZX friend (that races an LT-1 Z-28 in SCCA) take my 350 out on a session at a recent BMWCCA event. He was ecstatic and wants somebody to sponsor a 350 for him.