Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

17 year old dies in 350z.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 07:24 AM
SupermanZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17 year old dies in 350z.

Neil Stanford fought back tears as he spoke about Evan King. "It's tough seeing your best friend go out like this," said the Lakeview Academy junior. "He didn't deserve it. He was such a great guy." Students at the private school, as well as at Gainesville High School, where King was a junior, spent Monday mourning their friend, who died early Sunday in a one-car wreck off Mount Vernon Road in North Hall.

Many spent time with counselors and ministers stationed at the schools to work through their grief.

"Many (students) are finding out (about the wreck) for the first time," said Gainesville High principal Mike Kemp.

King was traveling west on Mount Vernon in a 2004 Nissan 350Z when his car went off the road about 11:30 p.m. No other vehicles were involved and nobody else was injured, according to the Georgia State Patrol.

He was pronounced dead at Northeast Georgia Medical Center.

"The investigation is complete," said Operator Aaron Church of the patrol's Gainesville post on Monday.

Larry Schnall, statewide spokesman for the state patrol, said there was "no suspicion of alcohol or drugs in the crash."

Funeral services are set for 2 this afternoon at First United Methodist Church on Thompson Bridge Road in Gainesville.

The teen is survived by his parents, David and Stacy King, a 10-year-old brother and a sister, 8.

He also leaves behind a saddened student body and faculty at Gainesville High.

"This is a tough, tough situation for our family," said Kemp, who recalled a brief but laughter-filled conversation with King in the school lobby Friday.

"Friday was a gift," he said.

A member of the Red Elephants varsity golf team, King attended Gainesville High since ninth grade and went to Gainesville Middle School as an eighth-grader. He attended Lakeview Academy from second through seventh grades.

Stanford, a Lakeview student who knew King since both were in second grade, said he's coping with the loss by "praying and going to youth group gatherings.

He brightened up when he recalled his friend in happier times.

Stanford remembered he and King playing in a golf tournament at Chicopee Woods Golf Course. Stanford had just finished the course and checked his cell phone's voice mail. King had left him a message saying he was stuck on the 15th hole.

"He said, 'A 7-iron slipped out my hand and went into the pond, and right now I'm soaked up to my knees looking for it,'" Stanford said, grinning. "He was just a crazy and fun-loving guy."

King also was remembered Monday as an avid wakeboarder with dreams of competing on the collegiate level.

Even those who were not as close with King were reeling from the news of his passing.

"I try not to think about it," said Robby Hefflinger, a junior at Gainesville. "I know he's in a better place."

King also touched teachers' lives.

Sonya Barrett, his teacher in Advanced Placement U.S. History, described King as a "well-rounded student who took challenging classes.

"He always had a good time," she added. "Second period will be a little quieter and sadder without him."

Deuce Roark, Lakeview's athletic director, coached King in baseball at the school. He also is friends with King's family.

"He was a good kid to be around," Roark said. "He made any group better from his personality and leadership."

Gainesville students paid homage to King by putting flowers and notes on a wreath in the school lobby and painting his student parking space.

"Today is one of the hardest days," said Gainesville junior Alexa Miller. "But it's kind of brought everyone together."
Old 03-13-2007, 07:31 AM
TUNER350

thats sad was he on here?
Old 03-13-2007, 07:37 AM
Ghost 350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks RIP
Old 03-13-2007, 07:37 AM
ryanmac516
i like boobies

as unfortunate as this is, it should be a lesson for everyone.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:39 AM
SupermanZ

This was so sad. 17 is so young. It happened were I drive everyday. My friends were some of the first there. They went down the embankment to see what had happeded. They saw a silver 350z and thought it was me. Thank god it wasnt me. I wonder if he was the one circleing me last weekend. Now I drive by the signs and crosses everyday. It was his dads 350z, the kid had a F-150 or a F-350 I think. If he had been in that he probably would have lived. Please prey for his family and friends.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:45 AM
SargentZ

They should raise the leagal driving age to 18. As spoiled as the kids are these days they should spend a couple more years on a playstation before getting handed the keys to a 3000 pound joystick. Sad...
Old 03-13-2007, 07:48 AM
sadclown

Its always sad to see someone so young pass away.

Condolences to the family
Old 03-13-2007, 07:50 AM
SupermanZ

We didn't have drivers ed until my senior year of high school. But even then only freshmen could take it. But all it was is a class then they put them in a trailer that was a giant video game. I don't think people work with their kids on driving much anymore.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:52 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SupermanZ
I don't think people work with their kids on driving much anymore.
My dad start teaching me how to drive when I was 12. Hell, thats when I started driving a standard on a 86.5 Toyota Supra lol.

He also got me a go-kart when I was 4 and drove them until he could reach the pedal in a car.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:01 AM
ryanmac516
i like boobies

yea i was about 13 when my dad taught me how to drive his chevy truck. my parent made me get a learners permit for 6 months before alowing me to get my lisence the day before i turned 16. my first car was an 86 oldmobile delta 88. but i taught me alot about driving for a good 2 years before i bought a 96 maxima drove that from 98 till 2003 when i got my z at 22. if had gotten a z when i was 16 i may haev done something stupid with it. i am glad i drove a POS for a few years, my parents did a great job of teaching my how to drive and respecting everything i had. granted i was given my first car by my grandmother, but i bought and paid for all my other vehicles. I truely believe that if your parents make you pay for your own stuff you will respect it much more than them just giving it to you, and by no means should a 350z or any other sports car be a first vehicle for anyone, even if you do pay for it.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:08 AM
SupermanZ

I come from a family of truckers they had me learning at like 9 or 10
Old 03-13-2007, 08:11 AM
sabrefanpc

RIP

I always went to public school, and the local districts all had gotten rid of driver's ed, budget cuts. The written part of my test to get a license could have been read to me and involved identifying street signs, all multiple choice of course. The driving portion was on a closed off asphalt square about 100ft long. Definitely needs to be a change somewhere...
Old 03-13-2007, 08:24 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was the fetus used in the making of this ultrasound.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:46 AM
350zex

What happend? Driving silly?
Old 03-13-2007, 10:09 AM
Tribal Dragon

Darwin
Old 03-13-2007, 10:14 AM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn, i learned not 2 drive stupid when i got railed by a drunk driver.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:47 AM
jimmyloose

+10 on tougher driver's ed req's. That was something that, while it was his fault, there should be things in place to ensure that new drivers are adequately prepared to handle less-than-ideal or just plain dumb situations. I spent more time watching Drunk Driving movies than behind the wheel or learning what it means to countersteer. sad.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:58 AM
michaeljr6

when i took my driver's ed, we didn't learn much except for reading all this material. i got to learn what all the steet signs mean but most of those signs i've never seen. they seriously need to teach what to do if there are crazy ppl on the road and in dangerous situations.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:56 PM
SupermanZ

It happened on a straight away. I go down it everyday. He must some how went off the side in to a yard. He hit the a hill that the driveway is on and a tree. It would be like crashing into a corner of a box.

Quick Reply: 17 year old dies in 350z.