2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Calif. front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 01:51 AM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calif. front license plate

Just wanted to let all of the Calif. members know that there is NO State law that requires the dealer to mount the front bracket prior to sale. This has been confirmed by an Investigator with the DMV. This issue had been brought up before so I contacted the proper authorities for clarification and confirmation.

So for those that don't want it mounted make sure you tell your dealer and don't let them give you any bull that it's the law.

Always bear in mind though that IT IS a law that a front plate is required to legally operate the vehicle. For those that intend to go without...may the "forces" be blind.

Happy "clean air" motoring
Old 08-15-2002, 10:15 PM
Alang

Question

This issue had been brought up before so I contacted the proper authorities for clarification and confirmation.
Can you provide anything official to back this up? I need something to take to my dealer to make them more comfortable about not installing the bracket.

Thanks.
Old 08-16-2002, 12:45 AM
ZBarrister

Alang

As far as i know there nothing in the vehicle code that requires a dealer to install the front license plate bracket. I have heard a few delaers say that it is required by law. That is not the case.

I am not aware of such a rule in any other code, ie Business & Professions Code, Corporations Code, etc...

If a delaer says they are required to do so have them show you what statute or code requires this. After all, your not required to have plates on your car until those plates are issued to you. But caveat emptor, once those plates are issued, they are required to be placed on your vehicle.
Old 08-16-2002, 01:38 AM
gibbsy1
Charter Member #33

I remember Scaf pulling the California Vehicle Code which stated the requirements for displaying a license plate on the front of a vehicle.

I think the conclusion reached was, since the dealer does not provide you with the license plates and you won't have the plates when you pick up the car, there is no dealer requirement to mount a front license plate bracket.

It did seem pretty clear, though, that you are required to display a front license plate. At least here in CA. I know many people have said they don't and have never been ticketed. I'm still on the fence about whether I'll have the dealer install or not. But, I've got until October to decide.

Dave
Old 08-16-2002, 01:50 AM
mwaller

Funny... I'm sure this is true. But the Z's I've seen on the road and at Fuddruckers in CA did not have front plates...
How's that???
Mika
Old 08-16-2002, 02:09 AM
Kahanakyu

Default Here's the deal...

CA requires you to have a front plate, but it is not mandated to be on the front bumper. You can actually display it in the windshield as long s it is visible.

Many people in CA drive without a front plate. It's just a risk they are taking. Very low risk, just a fix-it ticket I believe.

Kahanakyu
Old 08-16-2002, 02:28 AM
350z_tako
Know it all

I've got tickets twice in the past so far for that.
1 on Z8 in Palo Alto,
1 on M5 in San Francisco.
Only twice in last 5 years.

San Francisco charges you 100 bucks though......
Old 08-16-2002, 02:34 AM
Kahanakyu

Originally posted by 350z_tako
I've got tickets twice in the past so far for that.
1 on Z8 in Palo Alto,
1 on M5 in San Francisco.
Only twice in last 5 years.

San Francisco charges you 100 bucks though......
SF will charge you for everything, including for not coming to SF.
Old 08-16-2002, 02:44 AM
LA-Z

Hey Tako, anyway I can peep some pictures of your sweet rides? Esp. the Italians, love them cars. Thanks
Also I'm really interested in how you got a TVR into the States, as there are no crash tests for them right now and no importers that I know off. I'd be very interested in purchasing a TVR.
Old 08-16-2002, 05:09 AM
350z_tako
Know it all

My TVR is not here but in Japan. They have authorized dealer called Auto Trading in Japan.
Old 08-16-2002, 05:54 AM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Here's the deal...

Originally posted by Matt

That is a myth. having it on the windshield is NOT LEGAL. i could go dig up the cvc but i'm too lazy but I am 100% sure this is not legal.
Vehicle code only says that the front plate cannot be mounted more than 60" from the ground, and it has to be visible.

Laying flat on a dashboard is probably not considered visible, but if you can make it visible, and less then 60", you are legal.

Of course, I am not an authority, and even though I am reading the code, others might interpret things differently, such as protective cover limitations, and securly fastened.

But if ticketed, I would take it to court to see what would happen.

Last edited by Scafremon; 08-16-2002 at 06:03 AM.
Old 08-16-2002, 06:28 AM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Matt
and darn you!!! you made me go look up the cvc.

Double-back tape?
Old 08-16-2002, 06:55 AM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

I can't decide what I'm going to do on the front license plate and I am very curious what others are doing. So this is a shameless plug for the poll I just posted on this question in the polls section.
Old 08-16-2002, 07:05 AM
raceboy
Banned

I haven't had a front plate on my MR2 Spyder for 2.5 years and never a problem even when I got a speeding ticket!! Cops look for dark tint more than the front plate. I live in Ventura county where we were the second county in the nation to install red light cameras. Now the damn things are all over the place. I keep the tint light on my Spyder, but on my I35 it's dark tint all the way around, but the "I" has a front plate on it.
Old 08-16-2002, 08:18 PM
Alang

Just got a reply from my dealer regarding this:

Alan, I did receive a memo from Calif Auto Advisory yesterday on this issue. In short as long as we the dealer provide you with the hardware for the license plate and also offer to install this when you do receive your plates from the DMV we can deliver the car without installing the bracket. You will need to sign an acknowledgement stating such, which we will type up and have ready at the time of delivery. This has been a concern of dealers since there has been a crackdown on vehichles that do not contain the front license plate. So we will be happy to honor your request.
Hope this helps anyone who is having problems with their dealers.
Old 08-16-2002, 08:52 PM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Alang:

Good to hear you were able to work out something with the dealer. The "release" letter is a good idea for others that might have the same problem.

Did you ever receive my email response. Can't tell if it got sent properly through the web site.

Quick Reply: Calif. front license plate