Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having doubts on base model

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 02:40 AM
NJZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having doubts on base model

I ordered the base model and now I'm having doubts about it. It doesn't come with traction control, limited slip, xenons, aluminum pedals, etc. I don't care about the xenons, pedals, or the other non-performance related stuff. What I want is the traction control and the limited slip. Are those 2 things essential? I live in NJ so rain and snowy winters are a common thing. Will I need them to drive in the rain? With the high HP and torque I'm thinking that I might actually need it. I'm not really worried about the snow because I probably won't be driving it in the snow. I don't think I want to change my order now because I don't want to get my car later than it already is. Is it possible to get them from the aftermarket or possibly at the dealership at the time of delivery?
Old 05-14-2002, 02:46 AM
z350z
Charter Member #13

I think limited-slip is essential for any high-performance rear-wheel drive car. 300 hp at the rear wheels won't do you much good without limited-slip. This is true in any climate, but especially so if there is a chance of icy or snowy roads. For only another $2k over base, the Enthusiast with LSD and the other goodies is good value!
Old 05-14-2002, 02:47 AM
rouxeny

I doubt that either traction control or a LSD will be able to be added after the car is delivered. If by any chance they are, it'll be expensive. If you have the money, I would upgrade to the Performance. The LSD more than traction control will be very useful in daily driving.
Old 05-14-2002, 02:51 AM
BullishZ

I got the exact same setup as your order, except I got the Enthusiast. I thought about saving some $ by going base, but on a car with so much power going to the rear wheels, I think limited slip and traction control are necessary items. I live in CA, and I thought I needed them... so you DEFINATELY need them in the East.

I got the Enthusiast instead of the touring because I didn't like how Nissan setup the different packages on the car. In order to get the leather WITH the 6MT, I had to pay almost as much as the Track model... and the Track doesn't even come with leathers! With the Enthusiast model, I get everything I need that are going to be a pain in the a$$ to install aftermarket... and leaves out the things (like leathers) that can be easily added on later. Makes sense to me.

One question... why pay for kickplates and mats when you're trying to save money by going base?
Old 05-14-2002, 03:15 AM
rouxeny

Sorry, I meant Enthusiast instead of Performance. I don't think a 300ZX LSD will fit into the 350Z. You may be able to find one off a wrecked 350Z, but that's assuming you find a totaled car, and that it has a LSD, and that the LSD is intact. Lots of "if's." 300 hp at the rear wheels is a lot.
Old 05-14-2002, 03:23 AM
NJZ

Originally posted by BullishZ
One question... why pay for kickplates and mats when you're trying to save money by going base?
I wasn't actually trying to save money by going base but in a way I was. At the time of pre-order I was thinking of the things that I didn't really need. That's when I decided that the base was the way I should go. But now that I think about it, it seems like I should've gone with the enthusiast. I don't think it's a really big deal. Well for me that is. Base or enthusiast, it's still a Z.
Old 05-14-2002, 03:26 AM
NJZ

Originally posted by JDZ
Don't sweat it, too much. You got a great deal on the base model. I was torn between enth. and base but finally decided on enth. even though I'm still not 100% sure that's the best decision.

You won't be able to add TCS but you should be able to add LSD for much cheaper than the $2k enth. model premium. Most likely, you can get a differential out of an old 300ZX, 240SX, or J30. If not, some wrecked 350Z's and G35's will start piling up sooner or later. Or, you could get a clutch based LSD from the aftermarket which will be better than the factory viscous LSD and will still cost less the $2k.
That's probably what I'm gonna do. If I could find a better high performance limited slip (possibly from NISMO) I'll probably get that. If not I'll just get one out of a wrecked Z if I really need it.
Old 05-14-2002, 03:55 AM
john0213

why did u guys order the enth instead of the performance?
Old 05-14-2002, 03:59 AM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

I had the exact same second thoughts -- I originally ordered the Base and then switched to the Enthusiast (at least I think I did, I still have not received any confirmation). I decided that 300 horse was just to much not to have the LSD. Although for me cost was an issue, so when I upgraded I dropped the side impact airbags (I also am 6'3" and 250 and worried about shoulder width, so I was happy to get back the small amount of space the side impact bags take up). The good news: By dropping the airbags, the upgrade was only $1400 and who knows maybe the TCS or LSD will keep me out of situations that would have deployed the side impact air bags. The bad news: because I dropped the side impact airbags I'm probably guaranteed that I will be T-boned on the way home from the dealer.
Old 05-14-2002, 04:01 AM
tbcz

NJZ,

I originally ordered the base model and went thru exactlythe same thought process two months ago. It was still in time to change so I did. I don't know what I would do if I were you...assuming there's no way to sneak a change in now probably the same thing you are. I was originally bowled over by the low price of the base model and kinda overlooked the enthusiast, thinking more about whether the touring was worth that much more scratch. Fortunately, the obsessive-compulsive disorder that seems to accompany pre-ordering this car, making me question every tiny detail over and over into the wee hours, finally revealed the value of the enthusiast package to me. Don't sweat it though...the LSD is the most important part of that...and it you can get that aftermarket, then you're all set!
Old 05-14-2002, 04:05 AM
tbcz

Yo Robbyn,

Quit saying what I'm gonna say right before I say it! I'm still laughing from the last line of your post!
Old 05-14-2002, 09:21 AM
roberto350z

listen, this BS about the LSD is just that! "You NEED it. You cant drive without it, your car is useless, Itll help you in the rain".....etc. ...the LSD is for racing and people with lead feet. My buddys 280z v-8 swap has NEVER done a one legged burn out, because he loves his Z too much to do such a harmful thing to his baby...as far as accelerating out of a turn? Well, they are right...one time we shaved a whole .01 seconds off of our turn into the 7-11.
Old 05-14-2002, 09:24 AM
roberto350z

ps...stillen sells an LSD for $2300, so it wont be cost effective to go this route!
Old 05-14-2002, 07:35 PM
BullishZ

Originally posted by NJZ

I wasn't actually trying to save money by going base but in a way I was. At the time of pre-order I was thinking of the things that I didn't really need. That's when I decided that the base was the way I should go. But now that I think about it, it seems like I should've gone with the enthusiast. I don't think it's a really big deal. Well for me that is. Base or enthusiast, it's still a Z.
So you thought you NEEDED kickplates and mats??? And you passed on the Xenon, LSD, TCS, etc??????

Sorry, but I just don't get it.
Old 05-14-2002, 08:03 PM
LowFuel

Default Huh?

Whats all this talk of 300hp at the rear wheels??

I think people are counting the proverbial chickens before they're hatched... Isn't zcar.com was the place for wild speculation about hp? :P

sorry... dont mean to be rude. Im just worried that these HP rumors, being said over and over, are starting to become fact's in some peoples heads, and you may be setting yourself up for disappointment when it gets officially announced.

(By the way, I dont mean to imply that you shouldnt upgrade to enthusiast, Im just worried about the HP numbers people keep throwing around)
Old 05-14-2002, 08:28 PM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

300 is just a nice round number. As long as it comes in over 280 I will be happy. Of course I will be more happy if it comes in at 300. BTW, technically its not 300 HP at the rear wheels anyway, the actual HP at the rear wheels is less than what comes out of the engine.
Old 05-14-2002, 08:40 PM
tbcz

OK people let's not start...
Old 05-14-2002, 08:41 PM
LowFuel

Exactly what sparked my concern - 300hp at the rear wheels means Nissan would have to announce a ~325hp car. We just keep making this number bigger in our heads and I think its getting out of control.

A simple proposal. Instead of saying:

"A car with 300hp at the rear wheels will definitely need limited slip."

say:

"A car with this much power will definitely need limited slip."

See how easy that is everyone?

Quick Reply: Having doubts on base model