2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

insurance won't pay for aftermarket wheels need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 08:12 AM
Fooshe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys, I have been reading this and I can't bite my tounge any longer. Lots of misconceptions and guessing going on here. Let me set the record straight.

First off, the insurance company will follow the premise of the policy with is to put you back in the condition you were before the loss. Now they won't buy a used tires due to safety issues, but they can get a recycled (used) wheel. If they buy you a new tire or wheel, they will deduct what is called "betterment." That means that they gave you better than what you had when the loss happened. For example, if the tire has 50% of it's tread left at the time of the loss, they will pay for a new tire, minus 50% for betterment because you now have a tire that is 100% and not 50% like you had. However, if they buy a used wheel, they will pay for the entire cost. Misc costs involved in mounting or stalling the tire are usually included at industry standard, not dealer mark up prices. Insurance companies commonly negotiate down parts and body work prices that are inflated by shops just like you or I would. In all likelyhood, you are wasting your time going and getting new parts prices.

Alan86 wrote "anything mounted in the factory location should be covered by insurance. Speakers and amps are not covered, but a head unit is." Alan is mistaken. Anything that is on the vehicle when it leaves the factory and/or is factory installed is covered by your policy if you carry physical damage coverage, or more commonly known as collision (actual contact with the vehicle that causes damage) and comprehensive (everything else, like fire theft, vandalism, flood, etc.) If you have an amp (eg. bose system on the touring or grand touring models) it's covered and so are all your speakers.

Now keep in mind what bb1314 wrote "Just imagine if you decide to have some kind of crazy custom paint job that costs 20k. Then someone runs into your car and totally destroys the body, do you expect the insurance company to pay you the extra 20k?" He is 100% right. Your rates are calculated based on costs for the stock vehicle and the average cost per claim on that vehicle. If there is a higher dollar amount exposure, the insurance company needs to know about it so they can cover it. However, they do have limits on what they cover. They usually don't cover anything that increases the speed of the car or is not bolted to the car. For example, protable cell phones are not covered, but a perminently installed aftermarket GPS unit or aftermarket wheels, can be. You will need to notify your insurance agent and comply with what they need to cover it. In most cases provide proof of purchase will be required or you may need to allow them to photograph you car with the equipment on it. They will charge you a fairly small premium to insure the special equipment. That special equipment will them be listed on the your declarations page. In Gsazabi's case, I bet his agent listed it for him and coverage was not an issue.

If you have a show or extremely mod'd collectable car, don't use a basic auto policy. Go to the specialty market. They specialize in risks such as this and have much better pricing and understanding of how to hanlde insuring and adjusting losses on these types of cars.

As far as Magnetic's comment, don't worry, the insurance company can easily prove what the policy says. Most every company has the same basic language about replacement of parts. The verbage will read something like . However, you do have one good option to use with the insurance company. If the cost of replacement of the stock equipment is what they will pay for, have them do a "cash out" on your damages. In otherwords, don't have them repair the car, just have them send you the payment for the damages and then you can apply that money to what you want to replace it with. Of course, get a copy of their estimate and verify the actual costs listed to ensure they are real numbers, not just estimated numbers.

I must add this. I have been in the insurance world for most all of my adult life. I working in claims for 10 years and now am a licensed agent in California. Each state varies a little bit and each Company has their own adjusting guidelines. I have given you a pretty standard description of adjusting guidelines for California and what most all companies will do. Now before someone tries to flame me and tell me what happened in their claim, please know that each case can be different. If you get a rookie adjuster or you have been a 20 year client of the company, you may get something done for you as a customer service measure.

If anyone has a coverage or claims question, I would be happy to help and try to give you solid, reliable information. No lip service or guesses, just what I have learned ove the last 18 years in the business. I hope this helps you Marques1. Let me know if you run into a problem and could use some advise.

Last edited by Fooshe; 04-04-2007 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:21 AM
danisr1
Sleeps in 350Z

good advise, i have been an agent in florida for 7 years and the advise you gave is solid. I tell members all the time to tell the isurance company about your mods, most importantly the cosmetic ones that can be hurt in an accident. it wont cost much compared to the cost to replace the damaged part.

If you drive a highly modded car get an agreed value policy!! If your going to dump 30k in a Z dont cry about the rate, its a policy made to protect you.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:24 AM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ Listen to the experts. He said all you need to know. When I filed a claim for my wheels being stolen they priced the rims at a discount through the vendors they use but the tires where full price because they cannot use the pirce of a used tire. All in all i got a check in full and went on my way but of course all insurance companies are different. Goodluck and Honestly if I was you I would sell the 3 remaining wheels and tires that are in good shape and buy something newer.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:39 AM
Fooshe

Thanks Danisr1. I am really trying to give the information we wish we could get out to everyone. TALK WITH YOUR INSUARNCE AGENT ABOUT ALL YOUR COVERAGES TODAY!! The advice if free and you may learn something you didn't know. Your insurance agent should be willing to help you not only understand things, but help you figure out what is in your best interest...that is a big part of his/her job. If they aren't helpful, or won't give you straight answers, get a new one! If you are in CA, let me know and I'll help you even if you are not a client of mine.

Sorry to be on a bit of soap box, but I see it daily and have heard each excuse. From, I didn't want to pay the extra premium to I don't drive it that much to ah, it's no big deal if something happens to them to I thought it was covered already. Plain and simple, if you want less hastles if a loss happens, make sure of what is and is not covered before it happens. Paying a little bit up front will save you time, money and aggrevation in the event that something happens and you need to use your policy.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:53 AM
danisr1
Sleeps in 350Z

I could go on all day on the subject....
Old 04-04-2007, 09:38 AM
Chugg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i remember when my buddy got wrecked in his tahoe with a body lift the insurance company replaced the entire lift because it shifted and broke a few bolts
Old 04-04-2007, 09:42 AM
bender

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, these were Stern wheels, not Volks. You can get 4 19inch Stern wheels for about $1000. They are nothing to brag about. You're better off getting the money for the one OEM wheel. Unless they are purchasing the part instead of giving you a check, TAKE THEIR OFFER!
Old 04-04-2007, 09:45 AM
danisr1
Sleeps in 350Z

They are going to find him a used wheel if they can.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:00 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

what you should do next time is let your insurance company know about your purchases for your car and send them receipts
Old 04-04-2007, 11:10 AM
hkman78

Smile

Originally Posted by Fooshe
Ok guys, I have been reading this and I can't bite my tounge any longer. Lots of misconceptions and guessing going on here. Let me set the record straight.

First off, the insurance company will follow the premise of the policy with is to put you back in the condition you were before the loss. Now they won't buy a used tires due to safety issues, but they can get a recycled (used) wheel. If they buy you a new tire or wheel, they will deduct what is called "betterment." That means that they gave you better than what you had when the loss happened. For example, if the tire has 50% of it's tread left at the time of the loss, they will pay for a new tire, minus 50% for betterment because you now have a tire that is 100% and not 50% like you had. However, if they buy a used wheel, they will pay for the entire cost. Misc costs involved in mounting or stalling the tire are usually included at industry standard, not dealer mark up prices. Insurance companies commonly negotiate down parts and body work prices that are inflated by shops just like you or I would. In all likelyhood, you are wasting your time going and getting new parts prices.

Alan86 wrote "anything mounted in the factory location should be covered by insurance. Speakers and amps are not covered, but a head unit is." Alan is mistaken. Anything that is on the vehicle when it leaves the factory and/or is factory installed is covered by your policy if you carry physical damage coverage, or more commonly known as collision (actual contact with the vehicle that causes damage) and comprehensive (everything else, like fire theft, vandalism, flood, etc.) If you have an amp (eg. bose system on the touring or grand touring models) it's covered and so are all your speakers.

Now keep in mind what bb1314 wrote "Just imagine if you decide to have some kind of crazy custom paint job that costs 20k. Then someone runs into your car and totally destroys the body, do you expect the insurance company to pay you the extra 20k?" He is 100% right. Your rates are calculated based on costs for the stock vehicle and the average cost per claim on that vehicle. If there is a higher dollar amount exposure, the insurance company needs to know about it so they can cover it. However, they do have limits on what they cover. They usually don't cover anything that increases the speed of the car or is not bolted to the car. For example, protable cell phones are not covered, but a perminently installed aftermarket GPS unit or aftermarket wheels, can be. You will need to notify your insurance agent and comply with what they need to cover it. In most cases provide proof of purchase will be required or you may need to allow them to photograph you car with the equipment on it. They will charge you a fairly small premium to insure the special equipment. That special equipment will them be listed on the your declarations page. In Gsazabi's case, I bet his agent listed it for him and coverage was not an issue.

If you have a show or extremely mod'd collectable car, don't use a basic auto policy. Go to the specialty market. They specialize in risks such as this and have much better pricing and understanding of how to hanlde insuring and adjusting losses on these types of cars.

As far as Magnetic's comment, don't worry, the insurance company can easily prove what the policy says. Most every company has the same basic language about replacement of parts. The verbage will read something like . However, you do have one good option to use with the insurance company. If the cost of replacement of the stock equipment is what they will pay for, have them do a "cash out" on your damages. In otherwords, don't have them repair the car, just have them send you the payment for the damages and then you can apply that money to what you want to replace it with. Of course, get a copy of their estimate and verify the actual costs listed to ensure they are real numbers, not just estimated numbers.

I must add this. I have been in the insurance world for most all of my adult life. I working in claims for 10 years and now am a licensed agent in California. Each state varies a little bit and each Company has their own adjusting guidelines. I have given you a pretty standard description of adjusting guidelines for California and what most all companies will do. Now before someone tries to flame me and tell me what happened in their claim, please know that each case can be different. If you get a rookie adjuster or you have been a 20 year client of the company, you may get something done for you as a customer service measure.

If anyone has a coverage or claims question, I would be happy to help and try to give you solid, reliable information. No lip service or guesses, just what I have learned ove the last 18 years in the business. I hope this helps you Marques1. Let me know if you run into a problem and could use some advise.
+10

Well said and its 100% true. Basically you can you take your car to whatever body shop you want for repair. But insurance company will have to review the estimate before they approve it.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:49 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 2500$ of extra coverage on my car (for audio equitment). I also have gap insurance. If you have aftermarket stuff you either get addintional coverage, or get a special insurance policy where you have the car appraised, and insured for that value.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:18 PM
TurboTrey

A few years ago my truck was broken into and my insurance company just asked me to write down they took. I wrote it all down and they sent me retail price for the audio equipment and they got a quote from a local stereo place to install it all. The only thing they wouldn't pay for was my cd's. They said my cd wallet would be covered under my home owners policy but that the $20 value didn't beat the $500 deductible.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Jason@Riverside
Vendor - Former Vendor

Your stock 17" wheel sells for more to an insurance company than 2 volk wheels & tires...
Old 04-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Beer Goggles

Most OEM stuff cost more than the aftermarket stuff we put on the car so it's not that big of a deal to leave things off.

I'm not claiming my twin turbo. Why are you claiming one wheel anyway. The cost to replace it will probably be cheaper than the deductible and insurance rate increase?

If somebody hit you it don't matter what's on your car...they are paying.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:52 PM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have good news guys the adjuster gave me 750 dollars for one stock wheel and tire that will for sure cover my wheel so that is great. To answer your question beer googles i got ran off the road spun out and dude just kept driving but i dont have any body damage but a little rear suspension damage and what is crazy as hell is that my airbag the covers the window and passanger seat airbag deployed but yet i dont have a scratch on the body not even a ding weird. It wouldn't be that much cost if the damn airbags didnt deploy. They gave me 3,330 dollars to fix the car of course that money mainly goes to get the airbags done.

Last edited by marques1; 04-04-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:31 AM
BingPWR

Glad to hear your situation went through nicely