Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Test drove a 2007 Z

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 04:42 AM
6894kevin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man I understand exactly!

I test drove one every year since the Z came back in 03, and every year I had to talk my self out of it. Your 19 and have school and things ahead of you. Now I am by no means talking you out of it, just sharing what I did. I got a second job and paid my way in college, and now I will be graduating in May debt free. Well almost I ordered my 07 SMB Z and while my friends still have both a school loan and a car loan I will only have the car loan. If you think you can afford it then get it, but nothing feels as good as knowing you don't have any debt. In the end transferring from tech school to a four year saved me enough money that my loan on a new 07 will only be like 10K. It wasn't easy and I missed a few parties b/c of work but hell in my mind nothing could be finer.

Cheers

Kevin

O and good luck on your decision
Old 04-10-2007, 04:51 AM
Husky606

Originally Posted by asugradinwa
okay so here is my question, why get rid of the 2004 focus? If it is giving you problems then I can understand. But to get rid of a 3 year old car for another is totally impractical.

In my line of work I find too many people who try to keep up with the jones family down the street and get rid of cars just to have the next bigger & better thing without ever thinking of the future.

I'll also let you know- If you think you are getting a car that hasn't been raced in a new car then think again. When I sold cars duruing college there wasn't a day the guys I worked didn't have the fastest car in the lot out on the freeway bouncing off the rev limiter. And if the Redline is the only Z there you bet it has been rode hard and put away wet already.

Here is another idea- put $5,000 of that down payment into an IRA and save the other $5000 and what would be your monthly payment in a high yield savings account for a down payment for a house or condo. If you earn 8% per year in the IRA you'll have a nice $108,000 at age 59. Invest it and hit the average of 10% and you'll have $226,000. If you invest wisely and hit an average of 12 % you'll have $465,000. Plus in 5 years that other $5000 with those $505 monthly payments would be a whopping $40,000 ready for a house or condo assuming you get it into a 5% savings rate. Oh and if you REALLY want the Z then you can pay for it in cash, like what I did at 24.

So hmmm buy a new car and pay $505 per month for the next 60 months or be able to buy just about any car when you retire and get a down payment for a place to live?

No matter what I'd start putting away that $1000 a month and see how your life changes without that big chunck of change and if you like it.
I must admit that is most likely the wisest chioce that I could make at the moment in regards to securing my future. on the other hand, im only 19, i want to have fun while i can and not wait until i reach 59 to have some fun. i realize life is full of choices and tough decisions and purchasing a new sports car at 19 will be one of them. i figure that life is too short to not have a little fun. you dont know how long you have on this earth so you should make the best of what time you do have. i told the same thing to my dad, he has been slaving away in factories all of his life and now that he is 45 and has a successful business, im trying to get him to have some fun. im still in the process of trying to get him to buy a fun car (porsche,lambo,etc) for himself cause he deserves it so much. i guess in the long run, saving my money would be the most wise choice, but since money does not play a significant role in the purchase of my Z or any other aspect of my life, i think ill treat myself with a toy right now, im working hard in school and at work. i might not deserve it, but since when does deserving something really mean anything?
Old 04-10-2007, 04:53 AM
HardTech

Well at least they allowed ya to do that. But I bet it was because what you entered the dealership with.

I went and I kid you not I drove it for less than 3 miles at a top speed of 25. They would not let me on the highway and the side roads where clogged.

So be happy that at 19 you have seen the power. I have test driven 2 times now and both where the same. in and out in 10 mins with a speed no more than 30. The car is idleing most of the time. I hate Dallas dealerships. FYI I was 24 at the time

I guess this is what service I get when I drive up in a 1995 explorer (mint condition though)
Old 04-10-2007, 04:57 AM
Devil Z

How about having your dad pay for it, and paying him monthly? That way you can get it quicker, still be PAYING for it, without all of the crappy interest?

Something to think about.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:58 AM
Husky606

Originally Posted by 6894kevin
Man I understand exactly!

I test drove one every year since the Z came back in 03, and every year I had to talk my self out of it. Your 19 and have school and things ahead of you. Now I am by no means talking you out of it, just sharing what I did. I got a second job and paid my way in college, and now I will be graduating in May debt free. Well almost I ordered my 07 SMB Z and while my friends still have both a school loan and a car loan I will only have the car loan. If you think you can afford it then get it, but nothing feels as good as knowing you don't have any debt. In the end transferring from tech school to a four year saved me enough money that my loan on a new 07 will only be like 10K. It wasn't easy and I missed a few parties b/c of work but hell in my mind nothing could be finer.

Cheers

Kevin

O and good luck on your decision
thanks kevin, well to start off, my 4 years of college is already paid off, im a freshman and due to my athletic/academic scholarships and a scholarship from my parents, im all set. my parents gave me all of the possible advantages in life as a youth and they have paid off. i have no bills to pay for school, cars, my parents even pay for my insurance. some may call me a spolied little punk but i do work and go to school full time and i pay my parents back by getting good grades in school and helping my dad run his business. i still have plenty of time though to make a decision, im in no real hurry except i still dream about those 306 horses every night...thanks
Old 04-10-2007, 05:00 AM
Husky606

Originally Posted by Devil Z
How about having your dad pay for it, and paying him monthly? That way you can get it quicker, still be PAYING for it, without all of the crappy interest?

definitly something to think about and discuss with my dad. thanks Devil Z
Old 04-10-2007, 05:05 AM
6894kevin

Originally Posted by Husky606
thanks kevin, well to start off, my 4 years of college is already paid off, im a freshman and due to my athletic/academic scholarships and a scholarship from my parents, im all set. my parents gave me all of the possible advantages in life as a youth and they have paid off. i have no bills to pay for school, cars, my parents even pay for my insurance. some may call me a spolied little punk but i do work and go to school full time and i pay my parents back by getting good grades in school and helping my dad run his business. i still have plenty of time though to make a decision, im in no real hurry except i still dream about those 306 horses every night...thanks

In that case DO IT!!!!
I wish i would have kept playing Ball to pay for my school, but i got burn't out. Many people don't think sports are hard while in school but those that play know the real truth. Good for you man if you and your family work that way then Get the Z and just be wise with her.

Cheers

Kevin
Old 04-10-2007, 06:08 AM
Gooey

go get the 07 you will not regret it. If you get a previous model youll want more. Im sure next year if they put the 3.7l in the 08 I would want that too. Grass is always greener on the other side. Find your nitch where you will be happy and just stick with it. As of now Im very satisfied with my 07 purchase. Granted I lost a few thousand in trading in an 06. With the 07 I got the package, color, trim that I desired and thats where the selling point boiled down to.

You should be able to get that 07 33k otd. If you put down 10k and have a 6.5% apr There is no way you should be payin 505/month.
I financed roughly 32k and no money down at 5% and Im payin 504/month
if you put down 10k you should be payin around 430-450/month
Old 04-10-2007, 06:26 AM
zeekle

Originally Posted by Devil Z

I wouldn't borrow the money from your dad. Borrowing money "long term" like that from family tends to cause issues. Even if you think it won't happen to you it tends to happen to a lot of people and your relationship with your parents isn't worth a car.

I think its a mistake to put that much of a debt load on someone that is going to school. If you were out of school it would be different. Trust me when I say you are going to want to do stuff during school besides work for a car payment (thats going to get abused while you are at school) and study.

If you got 10k now, save your payments for a year or two and if you can do that while in school, the car won't impact your life that much when you do get it and it will be a blessing not a curse.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:46 AM
Devil Z

Originally Posted by Husky606
definitly something to think about and discuss with my dad. thanks Devil Z
No problem. I owed mom like 6k but paid her back a long time ago.

Good luck.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:47 AM
tlox

You can get a great used one for under $20,000 The insurance is just way too high. Just think, before you put a drop of gas in the tank you are paying $750 per month. At one tank of gas per week you are looking at $950 per month. Nevermind the oil change, maintance, and new sets of tires needed every 2-3 years. Plan for AT LEAST $1000 per month on just your car.

What year is your focus? Is it completly payed off?

With a 10k down payment you could easily get a great used car or a pretty damn good new car with a 3 year payment term. One of the most often qouted car buying tips is that you never want to go for a payment cycle of longer then 36 months.

I guess what I'm saying is that unless you are one of the few 19 year olds that are making BIG money (over 50k per year) or your parents are going to pay for a large part of the car (like $750 a month) I would recomend against getting a Z at 19.

You can do what you want but trust me when I say this- within the next year you will regret getting the Z for the financial reasons.

Hope that helps. And if you NEED a 350z then go find a used one. You could get one for half the price plus the insurance might be less.
I bought my Z when I was 24. With everything on it, I pay $48 / month for insurance. My record is spotless though....but check around, you may not get totally killed by insurance.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:42 AM
Kegsbane

And if you NEED a 350z then go find a used one. You could get one for half the price plus the insurance might be less.
This is very smart. I'm not trying to brag, but I could buy more than one 2007 Z in cash right now. I only brought it up because I still bought used. I thought it was the best option at the time.

Just because that guy let you test drive a car, doesn't mean you have to buy from him. Get a used car and your payments will probably be halved, if not more than that.

EDIT: It's still going to be more expensive than you are planning for.

Last edited by Kegsbane; 04-10-2007 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:53 AM
Devil Z

+1 man . . . get a used Z!!! I bought a used one, no issues.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:01 AM
StewartZ

shut up..... I like how you keep rambling "I can't believe they let a 19 yr old drive... blah blah blah I'm 19 woopdie doo how long can you talk about how amazed you were that they would let a 19 yr old drive it?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:07 AM
Husky606

Originally Posted by StewartZ
shut up..... I like how you keep rambling "I can't believe they let a 19 yr old drive... blah blah blah I'm 19 woopdie doo how long can you talk about how amazed you were that they would let a 19 yr old drive it?
and the most unnecessary comment of the week goes to...

theres no need for that, keep those comments to yourself. no one else here seemed to have a problem with the exception of yourself.

everyone else, thanks for all of the advice. it will all be taken into serious consideration.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:10 AM
SargentZ

Go for it. I am loving my new Z, can't wait to get past the break in to really "open her up"
Old 04-10-2007, 09:48 AM
infamous350

dam they wouldnt let me drive my z til they ran my creidt and all the other stuff i pretty much didnt test drive untilt he day i took it home lol
Old 04-10-2007, 09:53 AM
zeekle

Originally Posted by infamous350
dam they wouldnt let me drive my z til they ran my creidt and all the other stuff i pretty much didnt test drive untilt he day i took it home lol
Sometimes it depends on how you come in dressed (as well as what you are driving). Other times its how much leeway the salesman has. Some places have strict policy's abouts test drives.

If you roll up in a old POS wearing a beer tshirt and some cutoffs they aren't going to let you sit in a sports car but if you come in like you just got out of the office you are going to get a lot more traction with the sales guys.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Devil Z

Originally Posted by StewartZ
You're 17 and still in High School, why don't YOU shut the hell up and show some respect, he clearly has a higher IQ than you if he's gotten to this stage in his life.

What're you doing, applying to your local community college while working at the local Safeway?

OP, ignore this underaged virgin dumbass.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:18 PM
asugradinwa

Originally Posted by zeekle
I wouldn't borrow the money from your dad. Borrowing money "long term" like that from family tends to cause issues. Even if you think it won't happen to you it tends to happen to a lot of people and your relationship with your parents isn't worth a car.

I think its a mistake to put that much of a debt load on someone that is going to school. If you were out of school it would be different. Trust me when I say you are going to want to do stuff during school besides work for a car payment (thats going to get abused while you are at school) and study.

If you got 10k now, save your payments for a year or two and if you can do that while in school, the car won't impact your life that much when you do get it and it will be a blessing not a curse.

I totally agree. Start taking out what the montrhly payment would be right now and see if you could live with it. Also remember that now with the first year of Z's comming off of leases, the G35s out on the market, and the GTR comming in a year or two that the Z's are deperciating much more quickly then before. Just don't be surprised if you get a 07 for 33K and by next year it isn't worth more then 25k. Just think- every week your Z loses over $150 in value while every month you have to pay $500 just to keep it.

And hey if you and your dad have all this money to throw around why don't you import a skyline and then you'd have a REALLY fun car.

All in all, if you are going to get a Z, get a used one. I know you are making the excuse that "I'm young & I want to have fun" but you also have to be an adult. I bought my Z at 24, but that year I also put over $10,000 into my retirement fund and another $6,000 into an account for the condo I bought at 25.

Think of the big picture.

Quick Reply: Test drove a 2007 Z