Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z - Evo MR - STi

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 05:57 PM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,446 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Originally Posted by ryano85
i could be wrong with, but (im not to familiar with either besides the 350) one of them already come turbo charged, and if the 350 at least keeps up, if not beats them, then if you turbo chagr the z, wich might make sence if your wanting to go fast, then when you do turbo charge the z then you will probably kick some ***... ive herd of turbo upgrades, but im not so sure of all that
Both the Evo and STi/STI come boosted, not just one of them. On the street, from a stop, the Evo and Suby kill. From a roll, the Suby runs out of breath (too much displacement with too small a turbo) while the Evo and Z battle it out. I've NEVER had a problem with any Z stock-for-stock or my stock for their modded (N/A Z), and my modded vs boosted, non-built. Some people walk Evos from rolls in their Z's... it's all really driver dependent. Z's have little trouble with '03-'04 Evo's, even with '05 Evo's, and get problems with Evo IX's. In a 1/4, it's really no contest... order goes Evo, Suby, Z. The '07's have really closed the gap now with low 13's stock, but Evo's (and a few Subys) hit high 12's with not too much trouble stock.

Getting into the whole "well I'll boost my Z" bit just throws all kinds of variables out there. For your anywhere from $6-10k just for the kit, install and supporting mods, I can have a built engine and turbo kit and supporting mods for that much. Only prob is that I'll run out of potential before you.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:02 PM
bboypuertoroc

Oh, the Evo X is no longer a prototype... it's design is official.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:02 PM
lxlHoTsAuSelxl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
Oh, the Evo X is no longer a prototype... it's design is official.

provide link please
Old 10-15-2007, 11:14 PM
bboypuertoroc

Ummm... this is old news. It's already been debuted in Australia, there's been several spotted in Cali (I just posted one up here in the "Other Vehicles" section yesterday), and Mitsubishi themselves already released the official photos.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:22 PM
bboypuertoroc

Here's a few...

https://my350z.com/forum/other-vehicles/303550-official-pics-of-mitsubishi-s-evolution-x.html

https://my350z.com/forum/other-vehicles/307995-evo-x-spotted-in-cali.html

And the debut at the Sydney Auto Show...

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=300837

The red Evo is an MR and the blue is a GSR.

Also, a few weeks ago I posted up the Japanese Evo X brochure. You can dig that one out of the "Other Vehicles" section if you want... it's got some cool **** in it (even better if you can read Japanese).

Last edited by bboypuertoroc; 10-15-2007 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:19 AM
Vick781

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here is the evo X MR that's been spotted in cali.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:26 AM
Rooftop voter

From what I've heard, the new evo X is slower in the 1/4 mile stock then the other evos stock, but that it should respond better to mods. I like both the STI and the EVO, but if I had to choose, I think I'd take the Subie. More displacement more potential. I originaly wanted an STI, but I couldn't find one I wanted in my price range. Basicly if you just want straight performance, get the EVO or STI, if you want a good looking car that's kinda quick too, get a Z. Unforutunatly both The EVO and STI beat it in the performance field in just about every catagory. It wouldn't be so bad if the Z was more mod friendly. Here's to hoping the new 09 Z wil be.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:08 AM
alan305z

Both the Evo and STi/STI come boosted, not just one of them. On the street, from a stop, the Evo and Suby kill. From a roll, the Suby runs out of breath (too much displacement with too small a turbo) while the Evo and Z battle it out. I've NEVER had a problem with any Z stock-for-stock or my stock for their modded (N/A Z), and my modded vs boosted, non-built. Some people walk Evos from rolls in their Z's... it's all really driver dependent. Z's have little trouble with '03-'04 Evo's, even with '05 Evo's, and get problems with Evo IX's. In a 1/4, it's really no contest... order goes Evo, Suby, Z. The '07's have really closed the gap now with low 13's stock, but Evo's (and a few Subys) hit high 12's with not too much trouble stock.

Getting into the whole "well I'll boost my Z" bit just throws all kinds of variables out there. For your anywhere from $6-10k just for the kit, install and supporting mods, I can have a built engine and turbo kit and supporting mods for that much. Only prob is that I'll run out of potential before you.
i guess u have an EVo IX right? well and we both know how this little nasty perform!! its just fast and well i dont know about you but i hit 12.2 with my evo ix with less than 1,500 bucks and i was like wow i could do it better than that this car is about pure performance cars, my best friend gotta an EVoIX MR with Cams=Meth makin 412awhp@27pounds and that car is just a monster,EVo IX for the win but i was tired of everybody picking on me for Races,LOL and my transfer case after 22k miles was gone and clutch too.My STI in the other hand was a monster on the highway with a GT35r on stock block (402awhp@19pounds)capable of being neck to neck agaisnt new Z06's well but before 140mph lol, STI's are very capable too u just have to spend a litlle bit more time in tunning and stuff, no money , cause if you wanna big in ur evo or sti be ready for some real cash. Gt35r EVo and 2.2stroked but money is a BIT** was like my dream but my friend is going for it in a few weeks.
350Z is just for daily drive now.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:51 AM
itsjiggajames

Originally Posted by alan305z
i guess u have an EVo IX right? well and we both know how this little nasty perform!! its just fast and well i dont know about you but i hit 12.2 with my evo ix with less than 1,500 bucks and i was like wow i could do it better than that this car is about pure performance cars, my best friend gotta an EVoIX MR with Cams=Meth makin 412awhp@27pounds and that car is just a monster,EVo IX for the win but i was tired of everybody picking on me for Races,LOL and my transfer case after 22k miles was gone and clutch too.My STI in the other hand was a monster on the highway with a GT35r on stock block (402awhp@19pounds)capable of being neck to neck agaisnt new Z06's well but before 140mph lol, STI's are very capable too u just have to spend a litlle bit more time in tunning and stuff, no money , cause if you wanna big in ur evo or sti be ready for some real cash. Gt35r EVo and 2.2stroked but money is a BIT** was like my dream but my friend is going for it in a few weeks.
350Z is just for daily drive now.
?lol
Old 10-16-2007, 02:10 PM
sbZenth

Originally Posted by alan305z
... i hit 12.2 with my evo ix with less than 1,500 bucks and ... My STI in the other hand was a monster ... 350Z is just for daily drive now.
so do you own like every single 30k performance car out there? lol
Old 10-16-2007, 06:11 PM
bboypuertoroc

You guess correctly... it's in my sig.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:14 PM
Devil Z

You guess correctly... it's in my sig.
Didn't you sell your EVO?
Old 10-16-2007, 06:19 PM
bboypuertoroc

Originally Posted by Devil Z
Didn't you sell your EVO?
Negative. I was gonna trade it in for another Z but my wife wouldn't let me. Even though she loves Z's more than I do and is still pissed that I traded our '03 LS in for my Evo IX.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:22 PM
silver350tn

dam that thing is ugly i want the previous body style
Old 10-16-2007, 10:05 PM
Stop&TurnFreak

The latest I have heard from folks in Cali is the new Evo is going to handle a 'tick' better at the limit, but will not outrun the Evo iX in a straight line. It will be VERY close, due to the better tranny in the X, but still no dice. Also, the motor is Aluminum to save weight, so forget throwing tons of boost at it, it isn't going to happen.

Now, back to the handling, the MR is going to come with a new mode for 'track' days, which according to every mag out there is going to be phenominal (sp?).

Now, I have owned an Evo (tracked it for 3 years in various mod forms), driven tons of STi's, and I am buying an Nismo tomorrow. Take that for what it is worth.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:30 PM
bboypuertoroc

Originally Posted by Stop&TurnFreak
The latest I have heard from folks in Cali is the new Evo is going to handle a 'tick' better at the limit, but will not outrun the Evo iX in a straight line. It will be VERY close, due to the better tranny in the X, but still no dice. Also, the motor is Aluminum to save weight, so forget throwing tons of boost at it, it isn't going to happen.

Now, back to the handling, the MR is going to come with a new mode for 'track' days, which according to every mag out there is going to be phenominal (sp?).

Now, I have owned an Evo (tracked it for 3 years in various mod forms), driven tons of STi's, and I am buying an Nismo tomorrow. Take that for what it is worth.
From what I've gathered, the X is supposed to out-handle the **** out of the IX, killing it on teh road course. It's only slower in teh quarter (and the SST is slower than teh 5 speed).

I think the engine will be able to handle boost just fine. It's still using a 16G (last I heard anyways) and if it's putting down more power than a IX that means it's running at least the same amount of boost. There's also no telling if the block is sleeved or not. They're not gonna under-engineer... if they chose to use a new block, they did it for a reason and it's not gonna be worse. Evolution is about moving forward.

But then again, this is Mitsu we're talking about.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:45 AM
Rooftop voter

Originally Posted by Stop&TurnFreak

Why? Those were two other cars I was looking at before I bought my Z. I was thinking about modding my Z, but everytime I think about it, I think to myself why am I going to put in all this money when these other two cars with the same amount invested would be way faster. I was thinking of just enjoying the Z in stock form untill I'm more finacially secure to afford one of those and mod them instead. I'd really like to keep the Z because I like the way it looks and the interior, but I feel the performance is lacking, and I know if I put on a turbo or twins it would be just right, but that's an awful lot of money.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:05 AM
Stop&TurnFreak

Originally Posted by Rooftop voter
Why? Those were two other cars I was looking at before I bought my Z. I was thinking about modding my Z, but everytime I think about it, I think to myself why am I going to put in all this money when these other two cars with the same amount invested would be way faster. I was thinking of just enjoying the Z in stock form untill I'm more finacially secure to afford one of those and mod them instead. I'd really like to keep the Z because I like the way it looks and the interior, but I feel the performance is lacking, and I know if I put on a turbo or twins it would be just right, but that's an awful lot of money.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVED my Evo, and tracking it as much as I did (100+events in 3 years track *****=Stop&TurnFreak), the car is impressive, with minor mods, and down right fun with major.

BUT, I am a driving enthucist (sp?) at heart, and although the Evo was a monster (usually a top 5 car in TT), I never felt like I had to 'work' to make the car fast. Granted, I did alot of tuning, corner-weighting, etc, but behind the wheel, it was like driving on a playstation.

I guess for someone who doesn't like the 'feel' of a car running under you at the absolute limit, rear dancing out, fighting for traction, etc, then yes, the Evo is the best way to look fast with no talent.

I chose the Nismo, because it is a 'drivers' car. It may never be as fast as the Evo, and that is fine, I am buying this car to drive to the event, mount a set of RA1's, drive in TT(?) (in stock form), and then replace the street tires and drive home. It is definitely an enthusicist's dream.

From what I've gathered, the X is supposed to out-handle the **** out of the IX, killing it on teh road course. It's only slower in teh quarter (and the SST is slower than teh 5 speed).

I think the engine will be able to handle boost just fine. It's still using a 16G (last I heard anyways) and if it's putting down more power than a IX that means it's running at least the same amount of boost. There's also no telling if the block is sleeved or not. They're not gonna under-engineer... if they chose to use a new block, they did it for a reason and it's not gonna be worse. Evolution is about moving forward.

But then again, this is Mitsu we're talking about.
Despite the fact the new Evo has all the best gagetry, the older is simply lighter, with an equal foot print by aspect ration. Also, because of the weight, the new Evo isn't supposed to accelerate as fast, which means less 'umph' off the corners. Physics is fun, and it never lies. The limit is grip, no wizardry.

At the end of the day, the old Evos 'aren't' that bad from a weight distribution stand-point stock, when I checked mine,it was dead on neutral. And really, what I found with DSC and bimmers is, if you are driving hard at the limit, correctly, it will not switch on,so I think with an 'accomplished' driver, the net efffect of the gadgets will be much less than someone who is on their first set of track days. So, I guess I am saying is this, with an accomplished driver the older Evo would be a tick (and I do mean tick) faster than the new, all things being equal.

Also, from what I have heard, the block is NOT sleeved, and the tuners I know AMS and others, are predicting the motor will not hold the 550whp the ix would make with a good tune, and live long. (not that the ix's did). And unless they did some serious heat compensation, the aluminum block is going to have all kinds of issues in an open track situation, with the extreme heat and duress put on them. Think of the older Mustang heads reshaping when they get hot, and warping.

But again, this is ALL speculation.

Last edited by Stop&TurnFreak; 10-17-2007 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:00 AM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

S2k FTMFW!!! J/K lol.

Anyways, as much as everyone says this subject has been beat to death, go search and so on, we still talk about it. How many of these threads are there? And most of them are 5 pages plus, look at this one, its already at 7 pages and the first comments were search, its been talked about and all that, lol.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:44 AM
gjoey66

Faster, huh? Proof?

RWD? No ****, but what's your problem with AWD? How is that a benefit?

Tell your "friend" (which we all know is you) to go test drive the three cars instead of asking a biased-*** group of people their opinions on these cars (which this subject has been beaten to fucking death). Know what you want out of a car, and roll with that. You won't be able to buy a car and like it based on opinions you're gonna get from my350z.com, evolutionm.net or nasioc (to name a few).

simple physics really...on a track you want all the steering grip you can out of the front tires and all the propulsion out of the rear, again this is only road racing talk here...if you use the front tires to pull also, then the traction vector is not perfectly perpendicular to the driveline of that tire and therefore could be turning harder...people do all sorts of things with tire biasing and such but in the end it's just plain faster to have the drive going to the rear only...and that doesn't factor in wieght. Now that's just the physics of rwd vs. awd...I love Z's but in the end, I'm not sure which is faster on the track...with very few mods i've seen the evo's spank everything close to stock on the track...once you talk about full race prep...they really do get left behind. you have to look at it objectively...the evo can beat with Z with a few bucks thrown at it...but once you really throw down some cash on both...the Z is clearly going to dominate a road race, it's just a better configuration.

Quick Reply: 350z - Evo MR - STi