Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Security+Plus Warranty transfer

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 09:31 AM
billp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security+Plus Warranty transfer

Hi, just bought a 04 touring coupe from a dealership. I got a decent price, did find out that they made about $1K profit. I also found the previous owner and found that he had signed over the warranty for them to transfer with the car. Of course, the dealership didn't mention that and tried to sell me a new one. When I found out about the warranty, I called the salesman and he agreed that it was to be transferred. "And would take care of it". Its been a week with no word. (out of town dealership, but with a local one here)

My question is, should this transfer be automatic, does Nissan give a damn? This is a large dealership, Nissan and others. I'm prepared to take them into court over it and cause a lot of negative press, but do you experienced guys thing it will be necessary?
Old 04-24-2007, 09:35 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by billp
does Nissan give a damn?
I doubt it. The original seller made the money on the warranty. Why would another dealer take interest?
Old 04-24-2007, 09:45 AM
kdogg24

Keep on them, they may try to dodge the bullet
Old 04-24-2007, 02:10 PM
mg350ZR

...My question is, should this transfer be automatic, does Nissan give a damn? ...
The short answer to your question is no, transfer is not automatic and Nissan could care less about it.

Although I did not purchase from a Nissan dealer, I was in a similar situation last June, when I bought my 2004 Z Roadster that also had Nissan extended warranty that was purchased by the previous owner. I got the original extended warranty booklet that contained a warranty transfer page signed off by the previous owner. I then filled in my information and mailed it to a Nissan address along with the $35 transfer fee, as specified on the warranty transfer information page. About 3 weeks later I received the same extended warranty booklet, but with my name as the owner of this warranty.

Alternatively, if the actual warranty booklet is not available, Nissan dealership has a warranty transfer form that could also be signed off by the previous owner. You would then fill in your information and mail it in with the warranty transfer fee to the address specified on the form.

In any case, I would not wait for the dealer to do this for you. Just get the necessary form from the dealer and sign-off from the previous owner, and mail it in yourself.

Last edited by mg350ZR; 04-24-2007 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:31 PM
billp

Thanks for the info. I think that I will track down that form. Do you think that the dealership will just give me one or is there someplace that I can find it.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Jason@Riverside
Vendor - Former Vendor

you can buy the pre-owned nissan extended warranty through any dealer.. while the car is under factory warranty 3/36 you do not have to have it inspected...

the dealer had it transfered to them and most likely, cashed it in for a prorated amount...

what ever you do, do not get a 3rd party warranty... they are miserable to deal with if you ever have a problem...
Old 04-25-2007, 09:46 AM
mg350ZR

Thanks for the info. I think that I will track down that form. Do you think that the dealership will just give me one or is there someplace that I can find it.
You can get it either directly form the previous owner, or from the dealership. Here is the link and instructions from Nissan website for transfering the warranty:

http://www.nissanextendedwarranty.co...aq.html?cid=19

How do I transfer a Security+Plus agreement?

Obtain a Transfer Request from your dealer, and have it signed by both the current vehicle owner and the new owner. Mail this form to the address below, along with a copy of the vehicle maintenance history or a Security+Plus Inspection check sheet from your Nissan dealership. Also include any applicable transfer fee (depending on the state, in the form of a check or money order payable to Nissan North America). Allow 4-6 weeks for the transfer to take effect. A new agreement will be mailed to the new owner. Nissan North America, Inc. Vehicle Service Contracts P.O. Box 680 Gardena, CA 90247

Good luck.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:58 AM
billp

Default Follow up

I talked to the dealership today. First call they said that those weren't transferable. That they were the second buyer, so it wouldn't go past them. I told them that was crap as they weren't required to put the car in their name, but were just a go between. When told that I knew better and that I was sure that a judge would see it different they agreed to look for the transfer form. Second phone call, admitted that they had taken the car in trade in Aug, 06 and that they had nothing in the file. But I could contact the owner and possible get it transferred that way. They thought that it had to be transfered within 30 days.

Any suggestions on how to get the form?
Old 04-25-2007, 12:26 PM
mg350ZR

... Any suggestions on how to get the form?
If the previous owner has the Security Plus warranty booklet and can provide it to you, there is a page within that booklet that can be filled out and mailed in. Alternatively, any Nissan dealer (not just the one you purchased the car from) should be able to provide a blank warranty transfer form to you.

Another option would be to call Nissan at (800) NISSAN-1 and request the blank form. This approach, however, will take longer.

Last edited by mg350ZR; 04-25-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:33 PM
billp

Well, I called Nissan and it appears that the dealership didn't "cash it in" I need to work with the original owner, which I think that I can. They faxed me the form.

In your opinions, would you buy an extended warranty? I realize that it really is "health" insurance, for your car and I understand that some if not most aren't worth the paper that they are written on. I also realize that the price of these is all over the map.

When I talked with a friend (his family had been in the auto repair business for 60 years), about buying one for my Honda van, he said forget it, they never break. And I'm in my second one with nothing going wrong. 80K miles.

Thanks