Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Neighbor's cat scratched my new Z!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 01:31 AM
black06z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

frick, I hate cats. maybe invest in a car cover or something. I just bought one last week, due to scratches and foot prints from this stupid black cat that keeps coming on our property and walking on my car from some odd reason.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:46 AM
LIdrew

Originally Posted by jcn30127
I own 5 cats. You are wrong. Sorry.

(I've actually trained them not to jump on my vehicles by squirting them with a water hose.)
even if they did walk around with their claws hanging out, they could not scratch the paint on a new car. Their claws aren't hard enough. they could maybe cut through the wax, however that'll "buff right out"

Seriously, I will grab a cat by the foot this weekend and try to scratch my paint with it. I'll let you know how it pans out.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:00 AM
TouringToday

I had a cat problem a few months back. My neighbors cat thought it was okay to sleep on my car and terrorize my cat, that happens to be an inside cat. Well, I woke up early one morning, went out back and saw the cat sitting on my porch. Ran back inside, grabbed my paintball gun(04 Shocker) and shot 3-4 times at him. 1 of those 3 ended up smacking him directly in the forhead. Needless to say, the cat doesn't tend to come around my house anymore.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:19 AM
DustinZ33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't read through all the response on the last five pages but I have had this problem too. You many options.

-You could get a car cover and leave the garage open.
-get a small fan installed somewhere exiting the garage for ventilation and keep the door closed.
-not sure if it would be worth it but you could install a small camera to prove to your neighbor that it was there cat.
-shoot it with a paintball gun.
-put out some cat food with rat poison in it.
-go down to your local walmart and pick you up a .22 cal rifle. it's not expensive and wouldn't be a total waste as you could use it again sometime. .22 cal rifle create minimal noise. it sounds like a pellet gun. no one will ever know what happen.

I could go on but there's a few good ideas.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:39 AM
KShep

Originally Posted by LIdrew
even if they did walk around with their claws hanging out, they could not scratch the paint on a new car. Their claws aren't hard enough. they could maybe cut through the wax, however that'll "buff right out"

Seriously, I will grab a cat by the foot this weekend and try to scratch my paint with it. I'll let you know how it pans out.
I agree with jcn30127. A cat can and will **** up your paint.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:42 AM
03BrickyardZ

Originally Posted by zblondiego
When I park my Z in the garage I like to leave the garage door ajar a foot or more to let the heat from the car escape to the outside.
A few weeks after I get my new black Z I go out to the garage and see a cat flee from my garage. I see cat paw prints on the hood and a scratch about 8 inches long. Obviously the scratch was the cat leaving the hood of my car when I went out to the garage. The cat is skiddish. You know MEOW!!

I showed my neighbor (who just happens to own a grey cat) the paw prints and scratch. I told her my brand new car was scratched by 'possibly' her grey cat that I saw leave my garage. She said "there is another grey cat around here". I haven't seen one.. but what ever!
Other neighbors say the same cat is in their yards and on their cars too. There are some really nice cars too but the cat 'got mine'.

The scratch was not too deep but it still needed a professional to buff it out. I had it buffed and now it looks fine.

I will appreciate your opinions on this.
What would you do?
What is right?

Choices are:
I keep garage door closed at all times no matter how hot it is. (that is what I have been doing) Doesn't seem fair though that I can't leave it cracked open for fear of the cat scratching my car.

Leave the garage door open. The neighbor should pay for future 'cat damage' to my car if it scratches it again and I can prove it.

The neighbor should keep her cat in.
There's nothing wrong with owning a cat that owning a gun also wont solve...

Get yourself a nice 22LR pistol.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:14 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

A month ago I shot my paintball gun (full auto mode ) at 2 rottweilers that were hanging around my house.

Apparently thier owner let them run loose about the same time every day.

My hits definately caused them pain; they yelped......and I have NOT seem them since.

I have also shot a blunted arrow at stray cats (just to scare them...not kill them). This does not work. Either they are stupid, or do not associate it with being somewhere they should not belong.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:37 AM
Sudou

I'd get a cage, trap it, keep it in there for a few days, then return it to the owner.

It'll never want to return to your garage, evar
Old 04-26-2007, 05:49 AM
longball3

+1 set out a bowl of anti freeze if you dont have any pets your self
Old 04-26-2007, 06:43 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZthirtyThr33
the cat has a crush on ur Z!!
or Crush the cat under ur Z.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:15 AM
Chugg

if it were me i would make a nice bowl of antifreeze and set it out, the sweet taste will lure the cat to drink it and it will die shortly after that, poison the best way. i mean hey the cat was in YOUR garage if you chose to leave antifreeze out its not your fault.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:26 AM
tware

or, it might crawl up inside your house somewhere and die.. and you'd deserve it..

This is 1000% the owner of the cat's fault. The cat is just being a cat. They are not pests or vermin. The choices are passively modifying the cat's behavior or actively modifying the owners behavior. Killing someone's pet is retarded and will likely earn you all the Karma points you deserve. Start poisoning neyb's animals.. or even any animals, youre asking for alot of trouble.

I am the most meticulous owner I know (g35c) and I know i need wax when I notice the scratches left by a cat on my fender. Angry? Sure.. wanna kill it? yeah.. of course. But I'm not a sociopath and was able to resolve it in a day for less than $10.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:29 AM
Chugg

no...id kill it, with out hesitating
Old 04-26-2007, 08:30 AM
infamous350

You guys are messed up why would you want to kill the cat thats horrible it doesnt know its hurting ur car it just wants some where warm. I had the same problem i put a wood box with old blankets in it and left dry food in there solved my problem. Now they go in the box eat some food and sleep in there. Hurting a animal is not kool
Old 04-26-2007, 08:41 AM
tware

Originally Posted by Chugg
no...id kill it, with out hesitating
just happy not to be your neighbor, and I dont have outdoor animals.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:29 PM
kPaNdA350

Old 04-26-2007, 02:13 PM
DennyBak

there was a neighborhood cat that i always used to see. on day i saw it laying against my tire. snuck up behind hit, kicked that **** so hard it flew like 5 feet. never seen the cat since.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Dio1988

my family's cat always would sleep on my dad's corvette.... but thats what the car cover is for
Old 04-26-2007, 02:21 PM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve-O Z33
I've done this about 20 times. My neighbors are nuts and keep a lot of cats. They caught me carrying 1 of them in a cage. I refused to let it go. Took it a few miles away and let it go. This was after leaving a note on the guy's truck saying, "Keep your cat off of my car."

put the trap in a box to carry, do it at night, a few miles isn't enough, they can find home sometimes. you need to go far.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:25 PM
CaliTouring

Originally Posted by zblondiego
Too dayum hot here in the Desert to put a cover on a hot car. I did think of that and have a cover but that just holds the heat in on the car's paint etc..
Once it is cool then ok.

Killing the cat? Nah Can't do that.

One of my neighbors has wireless cameras. He offered it to me if I cared to use it. Feels like entrapment though.....
On the other hand I frigging love my new Z and don't want the cat scratching it again. I'm getting a clear bra put on next week.

Just saying....If the cat happened to get the opportunity to scratch my car again it might also scratch the $550 clear bra too. YIKES!
I told the cat owner (nicely) that I didn't want to knock on her door and show her more damage that she would be responsible for in the future. She said "What is your deductible amount on your insurance"??? I didn't answer her. Her question was disgusting!
honestly leaving your garage door open just a foot for heat to escape doesnt really help much. as we all know hot air rises and cooler air stays low to the ground. so unless you leave the whole door open for a good 30 mins to an hour, that foot tall gap doesnt really make a huge difference between open and closed. my advise would be to just leave the garage door open at most an hour and then close it.

Quick Reply: Neighbor's cat scratched my new Z!