Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Newbie rain driving!!! (ESL warning :-))

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 08:31 PM
neeferea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Newbie rain driving!!! (ESL warning :-))

Eventually it had to happen. It rained!!!!!! I have never driven RWD cars before. Even though I do have 150K of FWD driving experience, it only goes against you when you learning how to drive RWD. I was scared by all of the horror stories about Z’s handling in the rain. But here I was in pouring rain exploring Z’s handling characteristics.

Let me tell you Z is a great machine and its handling characteristics in rain are great. It is a sports car and it handles like one. First I took it to a huge empty parking lot. I was turning sharp in first/second gear accelerating very hard, there was some slippage but very controllable. Only once my back end came out a bit too far. Then I took the car on an empty 4-lane road with 90-degree curve with no cars around (at least it was safe for others, not as safe for me though) with suggested limit of 15 MPH. I took it going 15 – had no slippage at all, 25 – no slippage, 35 – limited slippage and very controllable.

Now take this I am new to RWD and I have no clue how to drive it. However with some common sense if all of the speed limits obeyed Z is a great car to drive in the rain. Basically you should be smooth with your driving inputs and everything will be very controlled. If people loose control over Z and crash it there is no excuse but the driver. Z is a very sophisticated machine and has to be treated like one. Today I have maid my decision to take a lot of driving classes and to take advantage of local track days. This car in hands of a good driver is probably safer and much more fun then in my inexperienced hands.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:45 PM
andito

a Z in the rain is a breeze try a 03 cobra with 500 rwhp on nitto drags
Old 04-24-2007, 09:08 PM
plumpzz

Its a non issue on new tires. When you barely have any tread left, and the tire can't evacuate the water, then you have problems.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:46 PM
JunkStory

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by neeferea
Eventually it had to happen. It rained!!!!!! I have never driven RWD cars before. Even though I do have 150K of FWD driving experience, it only goes against you when you learning how to drive RWD. I was scared by all of the horror stories about Z’s handling in the rain. But here I was in pouring rain exploring Z’s handling characteristics.

Let me tell you Z is a great machine and its handling characteristics in rain are great. It is a sports car and it handles like one. First I took it to a huge empty parking lot. I was turning sharp in first/second gear accelerating very hard, there was some slippage but very controllable. Only once my back end came out a bit too far. Then I took the car on an empty 4-lane road with 90-degree curve with no cars around (at least it was safe for others, not as safe for me though) with suggested limit of 15 MPH. I took it going 15 – had no slippage at all, 25 – no slippage, 35 – limited slippage and very controllable.

Now take this I am new to RWD and I have no clue how to drive it. However with some common sense if all of the speed limits obeyed Z is a great car to drive in the rain. Basically you should be smooth with your driving inputs and everything will be very controlled. If people loose control over Z and crash it there is no excuse but the driver. Z is a very sophisticated machine and has to be treated like one. Today I have maid my decision to take a lot of driving classes and to take advantage of local track days. This car in hands of a good driver is probably safer and much more fun then in my inexperienced hands.
neeferea .. glad you are taking precautions and taking the time to understand the limits of this car!! Most people don't realize the importance of maintaining control until its too late. Hopefully your post will encourage others to drive smart too
Old 04-24-2007, 09:57 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

they dont call it accidents for no reason. accidents happen when you least expect it so yes some need to drive more carefully but to some accidents do happen even tho you drive slow and carefully.

you were paying attention and trying to loose control on ur own which you can get control back cuz your body didnt go in to shock or got scared.

but yes its mainly the drivers fualt for driving stupid.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:59 PM
plumpzz

Well i realized how much the Z sucks in the rain when I drive my sisters RSX in the rain (yes, i knwo RSX>.*) The Z is too squirlly in the rain, especially with 275 tires in the rear and a rather mediocre tread at best.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:25 PM
neeferea

Originally Posted by plumpzz
Well i realized how much the Z sucks in the rain when I drive my sisters RSX in the rain (yes, i knwo RSX>.*) The Z is too squirlly in the rain, especially with 275 tires in the rear and a rather mediocre tread at best.
Thats why RSX is the best car in the world !
Old 04-25-2007, 12:24 AM
chishifu

your little adventure with the corner was in the rain right? wow... if you managed to pull off 45 mph in a 90 degree corner in the rain... i have to say i'm pretty amazed.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:50 AM
ZSpectrum

Yeah impressed I am.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:53 AM
KingLim

neeferea, you didn't mention if you had VDC or TCS.

I am getting a Z with only TCS and would like to know how it handles in heavy rain..

Anyone?
Old 04-25-2007, 04:12 AM
C Dubs

Yea my tires are pretty bald from playing Dk haha. Because of this I had ended up sideways on an interstate full of cars in the rain....let me tell you it's something I NEVER want to do again!
Old 04-25-2007, 04:19 AM
push

Originally Posted by KingLim

I am getting a Z with only TCS and would like to know how it handles in heavy rain..

Anyone?
I never had any problems in the rain, and I never drive with TCS on, rain or shine. Know the limits of the car and know when you need to slow down and you'll be fine.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:19 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The 350Z is not drivable in the rain is a ridiculous myth. Haven’t the faintest idea how it originated.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:23 AM
LeMans 05

OH NO!!!!

I took my Z out in the rain last night!

It's totalled!

This car is totally uncontrollable in the rain!

Seriously, I understand that some people get into a bad situation, and accidents happen, but it's not the Z's fault.

To the OP, you're right, if you don't drive like an idiot, the car is fine in the wet. Enjoy the Z, and be careful out there.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:50 AM
neeferea

Originally Posted by chishifu
your little adventure with the corner was in the rain right? wow... if you managed to pull off 45 mph in a 90 degree corner in the rain... i have to say i'm pretty amazed.
It was 35MPH in the rain not 45MPH. I don't think I would be able to do 45MPH through that corner. I also think that new REO50's help, they are in fact a very good tires in the rain.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:03 AM
neeferea

Originally Posted by KingLim

Anyone?
My car has TC but now VDC. I felt that TC mainly helps when you start accelerating fast in a strait line and the car starts to go sideways. But when going through the turn to fast and accelerating relatively hard then TC is of limited help. At least that’s the way it felt to me. In fact that false sense of confidence that TC gives a new driver (me) might be dangerous. The bottom line is you have be careful when it’s raining, TC will only go that far in saving the car mostly it’s drivers job.

Correct me if I am wrong but VLSD that comes in Enthusiast model is actually helpful in conditions described above.

So get the new Z with VLSD and TC (Enthusiast Model). If the car is used, make sure that the tires are good. You can look on www.tirerack.com to find out characteristics of most tires out there.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:06 AM
djnc

just accelerate and brake slower...DUH!...if you can't drive in the rain in a Z, just give head to a glock lol
Old 04-25-2007, 06:19 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I drove in the rain today on stock Potenzas w/ 11k miles on them (and didn't crash) . I want an award. WHERE IS MY AWARD!?!? someone Please pat me on the back cuz I'm so special.

Last edited by thekinn; 04-25-2007 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:25 AM
kostat26

driving in the rain is nohing.. turbo Zs no tcs or vdc now thats scary
Old 04-25-2007, 06:29 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by thekinn
I drove in the rain today on stock Potenzas w/ 11k miles on them (and didn't crash) . I want an award. WHERE IS MY AWARD!?!? someone Please pat me on the back cuz I'm so special.

Quick Reply: Newbie rain driving!!! (ESL warning :-))